Intresting Day on the Lake.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 7, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well today was an intresting day on the lake, but we did not do very well as far as fishing.

The bad weather prevented us from getting to the lake before sunrise so we could catch bait, we do fine in Rain and Wind, but we are not dumb enough to stand in lightning. So we ended up not even going to the lake until 10am in the morning! Wind was ripping right from the back of the creek and hitting our spot, but we tried to fish there anyway with the older bait we had. The little shad we had left were too soft, and we had a couple White Perch that were decent, and one live Bream. So we anchored, and cast out to where my dad has been catching them. Small hits on the little shad that were probably Channel Cats. Well my pole with the live bream got slammed really hard a few times, screamed some line off my reel and then the second time the fish nailed my bream it ripped it off, that bummed me out because I know it was a nice one. Well about 20 minutes later my pole with a White Perch head started doing the pumping/pulse type bite like my dad's 40 pounder did, then when I picked up my pole it started going out very slowly, I knew this had to be a huge fish, when I set the hook nothing but drag came off my reel! I tried to tighten it up more to get a real hookset but before I could the fish got off! After that, there were no more good bites and the wind had just gotten too bad there.

So we moved out to the main lake which usually is much more rough then the creeks, but it was opposite this time. We had some nightcrawlers and went all around trying to catch White Perch or Bream on a pole and couldn't find any! So we went to the Pea Hill bridge and they were there, caught only a few though.

Then we headed to the point my dad got his 40 pounder off of, this was the last stop for the day. And this is where something intresting happened right at the end.

Ok, my dad cast his little bottom/bait pole out with two hooks on a dropper rig baited with small chunks of nightcrawler. Then we threw out all of the big poles, had hits on everything but no big runs for some reason, I don't think they wanted bream, and that's the only fresh bait we had. We had been there about 45 minutes when we decided to head on in and get ready for the trip tommorow/Sunday morning. Well we had all of the poles reeled up when I head a noise behind me, I looked back and dang if my dad's bait pole was barely in the boat!! It was doubled over and the reel was stuck on the edge of the boat, I put the tip of my rod up against it to stop it from flying out while I told my dad to grab it. Man, when he set the hook into the fish on that little bream pole we thought he had a whale...LOL! It was an awesome fight, and when he finally got it up it turned out to be only a 9 pound Blue Cat. But here's the intresting/bizzar part of it, it had eaten a little White Catfish that was on the hook and that's why my dad caught the Blue Cat!! Craziest thing I've seen in a while, the little catfish was hanging out of the corner of his mouth and the tiny hook was barely caught in the corner also.

I have a few pictures to share with you,

In the first one, you can see on the floor of the boat near the Blue Cat is the little White Catfish that it had tried to eat.

Second picture is my dad holding the fish with the little pole he got it on.

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Zakk you and your dad have some good times together. Thanks for the pics

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, we do, times that I would not trade for anything!

I actually have one more picture I will try to get tommorow, it was taken right after we got the fish in the boat and shows the little catfish still in the Blue Cat's mouth.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nothing like catching bait to fish with is there? enjoyed the story zack. maybe tommorrow things will be in your favor.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ha, yeah I know man.

I think things are going to be better tommorow, it really all depends on whether or not we get to the lake early enough, because bait is about impossible to get once the sun comes up.

My dad's working until 3am in the morning, and we have to leave by 5am at the latest!:eek:oooh: So hopefully he can pull it off, but if he can't we will have another day like today was.

Thanks, and good luck.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its always fun to catch big fish on light tackle :lol:

fish eat fish , i have cleaned flatheads and found flatheads in their stomachs the same with blues

hope you have better luck tomarrow zak

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the great story Zak!! Hope you and your dad have a little better luck tomorrow!

8. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks for Another great story Zakk!! You will have better luck next time however we all know you had fun.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish, glad someone in the family can catch fish. LMAO

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Zakk, I'm curious as to what kind of hooks you are using to be missing these fish . Seems we have more of a hook problem then a bait problem or either the bait is too big for the hook.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    be sure the point of the hook is exposed. we were missing strikes like crazy until I noticed this little problems

tight lines

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys.

We really aren't having trouble with our hooks, when you use huge bait you get a lot of fish that grab the bottom half of the bait that your hook's not in. We use huge Kahle Hooks, and almost every real hard run we have had on them so far we have hooked the fish on. But a lot of big fish just mouth the bait and don't take off and those are the ones we usually have trouble with.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yesterday was a very strange day on the lake, caught a pretty good amount of Blue's and Channels on a dropper rig with tiny pieces of Nightcrawler at the mouth of a creek in about 45ft of water, they were very concentrated to a specific hump with mussel beds on it, it was just strange we were catching them on that tiny bait rather then our bigger baits.