Intracoastal waterway catfish with leeches?

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by BAYOU-FLATHEAD, May 6, 2009.

1. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    I caught some bluecats out of the intracoastal and they had little grayish black leeches or parasites on them. Have yall ever seen that?

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yep sure have, they really seem to be on the big ones and lay eggs in the end of the tail in the fillet. They look like little white blisters in the meat. At first they kinda bothered me but if the eggs are too bad I just cut them out, no problem, and they get cooked out anyway. Its those yellow and red worms that really make me cringe! hahaha!

3. cwell14

cwell14 New Member

State:
    LA
    Yeh them damn leeches are bad in the intercoastal...all across the state. I've seen em on redfish too.

4. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    I've never fished the ICW in LA. Salt water, or is there enough fresh water coming in to dilute it? Do you also catch saltwater species?

We're right next to the ICW here in the coastal bend of TX. I fish it quite often, but it is very brackish here, especially as we are in a drought.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    It really depends on where you are fishing it. Where I'm at, it's mostly fresh, but at times can be brackish. I fish along the north edge of Vermilion Bay--not very well known for being a salty body of water, haha. I catch redfish and blue catfish. In my experience the blue catfish seem to be much more saltwater-tolerant than channels; yet, redfish can be caught along with channels as the redfish can tolerate very low salinity levels. So mostly anywhere you can catch anything--I'm talking catfish and reds.

The black drum in my avatar was caught in the same spot where I was catching blue cats.

6. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Will, I don't think there is any salt in that area. I is really far from the gulf. My buddies went this weekend and they said there are fewer leeches than a month or so back.