Internet Service!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Nov 29, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    what can you all tell me about Earth Link.
    1.Is it any good.
    2.Would it affect my getting on to the BOC site.
    3. It says you can get on 5 times faster with Dial up. What do you think. That would be hard to believe..
    4.Would I have to change my E-Mail server?

I know that is a lot of questions but I don't know beans about them and I got this promotion deal in the mail ,so I guess I'm just curious about them. Suppose to be 9.95 a month for the first 6 months. I'm paying 9.95 now .Not that much different. Just wondering about the service.
    Thanks in advance.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only thing I can tell ya is my nephew by marriage is an RN and one day on some down time he was trying out Earthlink,well his comments were not polite for computer conversation so I can only gather that he didn't care for it.Is there anyway you can get a DSL? I got mine through my phone company.I pay only for local calls no long distance and the computer. It comes to $50.00 a month for everything. My sis has dialup and I can't stand it. It drives me nuts!:big_smile:by the way you know were low income but thats what was available to us in our dinky town and I don't regret it!

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would also like to know about that and other ISP.
    One I got now has gone down hill past year. Plus, Modems, had 3 in one year.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yea Pat I probably could get it through my phone company ,probably is I'm on a flat rate plan with the phone company and I don't really want to give it up.What I have is a plan that I can call anywhere that I want long distance and it don't cost any extra.It's all combined in one bill. Think it's around 40-45.00 a month. That is for everything so you can see why I don't want to give it up. Guess I'm stuck with Dial Up for now. Unless I get another phone line (which I really don't want to do).Right now couldn't afford it anyway. Thanks for the response on Earth Link.God Bless!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

John,

The wife and I had earthlink fro about 4 months and we did NOT like it, that's being polite. We now have roadrunner and like it better. It is plenty fast and you can choose your home page. I have yahoo with a google tool bar and excite.com, both are free. If you have cable you can get roadrunner. It may be a little more expensive that earthlink but IMO it is worth it

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I can't comment on earthlink, but I use Netzero dial up and it is as fast as the DSL at work. LOL. I can't complain. Basically 9.95 a month. If you want to know anymore, PM me. I once had the free yahoo by bluelight via Kmart. It was ok, maybe I'm just used to dial up. Heck I don't know. I know here the cable deal is about 109 a month for cable, phone, net, etc. I tried the netzero free for a while and have had it ever since. My niece in CA tried AOL and a few others, she was so disappointed in all of them, she finally tried netzero as a last option and loves it.

I know a few people who have Vonage and swear by it. They love it. Not sure if they have net capabilities, but the cell phones and reg. phones work on it. Just research Vonage if you want.

Heck you could just type in free internet services and see if you can get trials of some cheaper ones. IMO I would stay away from AOL. Just my opinion.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Cheryl I agree with you in staying away from AOL.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    At any one time I've had as many as 4 ISP's at one time.
    I've had AOL for years and hate to give it up.
    Alot of people complain about it but I dont have any complaints.

The reason I had as many as 4 ISP's at once is because the only thing available here is dialup or satellite which is way too expensive for what you get. I kept hearing AOL caused slow connections so
    I got Earthlink and a few others and honestly, the speeds were the same so I retained AOL and scrapped the others.

If I had a highspeed connection, I would scrap AOL. But as it stands I dont download anything and upload very little. I use the internet to get to this site and a search here and there so there aint a whole lot AOL can do to hamper me.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My phone company uses earthlink as its DSL ISP, but I don't really notice it. Never log onto the Eartlink site, use something entirely different for my home page. The service has been good, much faster than dial-up.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    No John, you would not have to change your email if you use one of the free internet emails like: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.
    If your email comes through your present server you will have to change.

I don't know about Earthlink for we are on cable.

11. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Earthlink was fine until I had trouble with my billing then I had to call customer service and guess what? Outsourced to India! Do not do business with them you will regret it if you ever have any problem at all. I have comcast high speed now and i negotiated our rate down to be a little bit cheaper then Earthlink. Also their customer service reps are Americans so you can understand what they are saying.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Amy and I have Earthlink and we really dont care for it. I really only use the dialer when my wi-fi signal strength is too low. We are getting DSL either this month or next. As of now my place is in a "hot-spot" but is affected by weather and other things so were getting our own router.
    Earthlink offers a bunch of crap that bog up your computer and is crappy over all. Try to look into DSL if you can.

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John, I don't know anything about EarthLink, but we had dial-up for years, cuz that was the only option in the rural areas where we've lived.
    When broadband became available here, we had that installed (through WildBlue) and got rid of our Southwest Bell phone lines. The phone company's service was so rotten the phone was more trouble than it was worth and cost a fortune, even though we hardly use it. Now we just use those prepaid cell phones and WildBlue, which lets us keep 2 computers online for $49.00 a month and 100 times better connection than dial up.
    It's been great!