Internet Safety Tips

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    While looking through some of our forums on the BOC I have became increasingly concerned for some of our members. The BOC is by far the very best website I have found for meeting interesting and genuinely nice people with a central interest which brings us close together very quickly. However as nice and great as the BOC is, it also makes it the perfect place for online predators. As extremely hard as Paul and the BOC staff work to keep things like this from happening, the fact is it can and does happen all over the INTERNET every day. I feel as though after being around the BOC a little while and having been witness to a few select instances where a member has posted their phone number in an open forum/thread and where one member was actually in many different ways harassing one of our female members, that I or someone should post some safety tips and guidelines to go by. I have done a quick search and came up with two very good websites that have some very good tidbits about online safety and how to act in an open forum setting. I am going to list a few bellow as well, to hit on a few high points that should help keep some of our members safer. Remember on the Internet, although we have a few thousand members, the Internet has MILLIONS of people surfing everyday. Most of these people can view a website like ours without ever joining it. They can and do collect a multitude of information off of these sites and use it for personal gain. Whether that be financial or psychological. Psychological gain is the most dangerous for us all. For psychological gain people will do many things, from a harmless prank call, to sexual assault/murder. Its a gruesome fact of life and we should all be aware that it does and can happen, and we should protect ourselves from it.

The List of Tips.

1. Don't give out Phone numbers or personal information out easily or in an open forum. Use PM's if you are so inclined to do so.

2. Don't ever give out your Social Security Number. No one but you should ever have that.

3. If you are going to meet someone off of the Internet, do it in a public setting the first time. Children NEVER do this without your parents and or their permission.

4. If you are going to meet someone off the Internet for the first time it is a good idea to tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return. Its a good idea on any fishing trip especially one with a stranger.

These are just a very basic list of rules to live by, that can help keep you and your family safe. Remember when talking to someone on the Internet, you cant see their face, you cant hear their voice, and you dont know who they really are. I am a 6'3 300 pound, White, Male. If I posted a picture of a 5'2", 120 pound, Black, Female and took on the persona of that you would never know until we met face to face. It is terrible to think that way, but it is true. Hope everyone enjoys this website as much as i have and do, however I want everyone to stay safe.

Here are two of the websites i found on my search, they have some good tips for both adults and children.

http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/off...childrenparents/especiallychildren.cfm#online

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/tech/safe.html

2. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    MODs if this isnt the best section for this post feel free to place it there...

3. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks brother for the information. this is a crazy a@@ world we live in.:embarassed:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great post,Jeremy. Nice to get a headsup reminder now and then.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks, its amazing how comfortable some of us can get from time to time on here and forget that although we all get along and talk very often, we dont actually know who we are talking to in some cases or more importantly who is lurking around the web watching what we all are saying....

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the post Jeremy.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh I hope Big George doesnt read this post? :embarassed:

8. festus

festus New Member

6' 3" 300 lbs? You're a hoss, bro. :big_smile: Thanks for the tips, reps are on the way. I've noticed there's a few folks on here that have left theirselves wide open to potential problems. Hopefully, it won't happen.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sadly its this obvious stuff that doesnt get people into trouble.

Most people can find more information from a phone book or a look-up service online than what is provided.

With the expansion of Social Networks like Face Book, you get true snap shots of people.

Its the off the wall info, that gets used by people who dislike you, that may cause the aggrevation.

For example posting an image with your boat registration number.

Seems innocent..

If I hate you, for any reason, and I know you are fishing, I simply call your local DNR through Skype and tell them that I saw a boater with boat registration XXX on the water at X location that was doing something illegal.

It will simply harrass you.

As for what people see as simple personal info, its in the phone book, and the main threat is from your local sphere of influence.

If you are a women, their is a different standard, as I am sure prompted Jeremy to post this.

Secure your SSN# is the name of the game for most.

Out of everyone, I am sure I get more than my fair share of nuts.

10. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Well I know for a fact the person pictured in my avatar is me....I have scars from being finned by those blues I was holding:smile2:!!

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Jeremy. Thanks!!

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's why I changed my avatar.. now they won't know which one is me. :cool2:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Like paul said and i agree a majority of the information that we post on here can be simply found in a phone book. however on websites it allows predators to target their prey much more precisely. My point is definitely that we just need to be careful and not open ourselves up to any unneeded dangers or harassing phone calls.