Internet provider....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by germanmudfish, Jul 16, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Catfish, the Empress and I are moving to a more remote part of the state and still trying to keep the amenities of civilization. Anyone familiar with WildBlue service? Comments, criticisms....

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not familar with the service, I hope you find something good.

3. Alex J

Alex J Guest

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    OMG, what have I done? :angry::eek:oooh::angry:

Thanks, Ronnie Gotta hide this from Catfish and the Empress.

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    We have Wild Blue and so far have had no complaints whatsoever. Course that could change tomorrow. I am on my laptop and the wife is on her computer and it is working for us. So I guess my vote is yes I like it.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ron,

I looked at Wild Blue Sattelite in my location and went with the, "other" service. I ran Satellite for a month but was not impressed either. Dont get me wrong, speeds were higher than dial-up, but still had problematic issues,"quota's, load limits", etc.

I keep satellite as a back-up if ever needed, or special missions :)

I eventually worked some angles and got DSL through a repeater station. Not fast, but fast enough.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been hearing some great reports on WIFI cards through most Cell Phone companies. I was skeptical at the speeds being relayed, but I have been hearing people are seeing great results. Whistler is on one now, and has high respect for the connection, big difference for him.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Been about 8 years, but back in the day I worked on some low orbit Sattelite schtuff off the hughes network... Sadly, it just wasn't up to snuff.. I'm sure things have changed since then, but when I worked on it, there was a 1/2 second delay for the packet to get from the ground to bird... Wasn't too noticeable web surfing, checking email, etc.. But anything that was time sensitive (Streaming media, game, etc etc) there was very annoying lag..

As a side note, not only did I have to worry/watch all my land line routers/switches/circuits/etc I had to also keep on top of solar flares and space anomalies hehe.. Personally, I found it more of a pain than anything but then again, I was the one getting paged at 3am to fix it :wink:

9. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Yeah, I have friends here who have not been happy with that approach. Anyway, I am stuck now. Maybe it will be good.

The bad part was I got it through Direct TV and they never mentioned that it was a separate company until I was 'sold".:angry: