Internet Identity- what is it and why

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Oct 9, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    The other night me and a couple of other BOC guys were out fishing and the concept of "internet identity" came up. Now we were about 2 or 3 hours into our fishing when this conversation started: The idea is this- One guy was talking about how in some of the "gamer" circles, it has been reported that a VERY HIGH percentage of the female characters in these internet gaming rooms are actually men. That these men hide their identity to gain a form of trust among other gamers in order to take better advantage of the strategy.

The conversation went further on about a college english course that was set up like a standard classroom, except each student had their own computer, and the rule was that nobody could speak in class at all- only communicate using a nickname the student had to come up with and could only "speak" using the live feed of the class "chat room" that was projected through the professor's computer on the wall. The fellow said that people in that class would discuss situations and personaly issues that nobody in their right mind would discuss with strangers in a public setting.
    So I piped into the conversation and said, "heck- you guys could count the words I've spoken tonight easily. Im a guy of a few words in person... but over in the BOC I carry on like few others. I suppose Im comfortable there... but I sure dont speak as often in person! I dont know why... but Im just comfortable there.

That got us all thinking...

SO I TURN THIS OVER TO YOU...

What things do you do here... or anywhere online that you dont normally do in person?

How are you different online than in real life?

Are you quieter?

Meaner?

stricter?

more playful?

Are you more conservative or more liberal or more independant?

Do you believe you're exactly the same?

Do you think you come across the same as you do in person or do you cater what you say because you know that things are not read the same by everyone?

Like I said- Im fairly quiet in person unless I really really know ya. Im just as silly, but I dont usually let it be heard half as often as I think it and quietly grin to myself. But here, as I told the fellas in the boat, I am more apt to take an idea and run with it. In real life, half the time I just sit there smiling to myself.... but a place like the BOC, I tend to get my idea out and post it. How about you?

What do you think of the idea and what can you add to the notion?

This is more of an opinion discussion- Im just curious. :smile2:

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I belive Im more P.C. in this message board then I have been in others.Paul and the staff run this site with an "iron hand" witch is good. I would envite any child to read 99% of what this site has.and yes I have been a wee bit on the "blue" side on some messaage boards I belong to. That dosent I change my thinking or pretend to be somone Im not.but somtimes youcan get the point accross better when you cus.{grin}. smokey

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Honestly Sal,

It depends on which shoulder Angel takes over and other factors. I try very hard, but sometimes that little devil takes over and yes I can be very cruel, mean and nasty. I try to refrain here but slipped up once, that I remember.

Take care.
    Cheryl

4. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Dang you Sal!

I had almost forgotten of my "put away" identities that have hung dormant since I picked up that pshycho woman from Mesquite down here at the local bus depot a few years back.

Great post though, thats what i find so intriguing about the net. I find myself acting pretty much the same, maybe amplfied about 8X ha ha but thats what is sweet about being online, its lioke it brings everyone down to a common level, everyone is on equal ground.

Breaks down many walls

egg

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    One other thing to consider is the false-anonymity factor- The thought that here you get to make your own world up- nobody knows how many busloads of nuns you ran off the road in a drunken stupor... and nobody knows how many years it took you to finish 7th grade.

So (and I did sort of hint toward this in that boat conversation) If a person is unhappy with the flow or the feel of their lives, perhaps creating a "good life" to mask their bad one or a "wise-arse identity" to mask their reality of being sheepish may be a good way to dismiss the reality of one's actual life altogether and carry on in this virtual world... with everyone else none the wiser. Do you think it is safe sociologically or psychologically to create or live a differing life than the one you really live? Is it theraputic? I got to think it can be to an extent.

How about this- A person comes off as a busy-body online because in real life their caged up in their house and have nothing to do but stare out the window and report on it. Now to the readoers who do not know them, they may seem like an in-the-know person with respect to their community... whereas in their community they are near-unknkown.. cause they never leave the space in front of their monitor. It happens. LOL- blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the virtual earth!

OR TO PARALLEL THE THOUGHT...

In alaska my brother said something about the locals tht I think may fit the bill in this case too- "A lot of these people are here for good reason and a lot of them are here cause they think the vast largeness of everything around them here in Alaska will fill the small little void that in reality exists in their hearts."

Anyhow- Great responses on this. Im not encouraging anyone to "tell-all", and thank God you all caught on to that. Im just fascinated by the nuances and wondering if it has a connection to one's own life... and how tha connection works.

I guess Im overly curoius.

Sal

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Sal I think being new to the computer thing I haven't had time to adapt a different personality...still have all the baggage life gives you. But I'm more apt to say something like you. But it's weird, still feel like the kid on the wrong side of the tracks. For instance ask a question about equipment and seems like everyone has money out the wazoo. Me and my buddies take the boat with the fewer rivits leaking...grab the rig that was the newest aquisition at the flea market or yard sale. Pool our money for ice and beer and pitch quarters to see who gets to pick the brand! I realized recently we (me) weren't as serious about fishing as we should be. I've got a buddy that never has bought a new rod or reel or anything related to fishing. We were out & after several catches I went to check the basket, and it was empty! He looked at me like I was David Copperfield: like OK that was a neat trick now put em back! When I showed him the bottom of the basket was rusted out, he said "Darn I just paid a dollar for that!" So here I am to learn how to fish from the big boys. But I am learning, and having fun doing so. If it makes someone feel better to think I look like Pam Anderson, go for it. I haven't figured out how to post my picture yet. Maybe that's a good thing....as Martha would say.

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hmmm...what I am like in person as opposed to the cyber world? Well, I am not a woman in the real world that's for sure!:lol: :lol: :lol: In all seriousness, I don't try to create an alternate entity on the forum. There is too much energy wasted in that effort. I try to be me on here even though it is difficult to convey my mannerisms here. I run the gamut of emotions here, but mostly I try to remain humble and fair in conversation. I think I am generally like that in person, although I can be very talkative with people that I am comfortable with as you guys experienced the other night. LOL. I believe that I am fairly close in person to how I am here, but that is for the "beholders" to make that assessment, and everyone's opinion is different...:smile2:

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sal, very interesting post.

Myself, I've always been quite, make new friends very slow. But even online I don't have much to say.

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Hope that this was a little more insightful. :tounge_out: Intresting to see who all answers, I'll be checking back to read.

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    "blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the virtual earth!

Sal that's a hoot! I was going to quote from the RUSH album 2112 -

...and the meek shall inherit the earth

egg

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Eggman, the egghead I had in mind when I wrote that was Bill Gates. ROTFL.

Frightening-ly true isnt it? heh heh

BY THE WAY....

Do you think people address a situation differently (for example) when they are speaking to a "dreamcatcher" and not a "vic Brown"? Do online names have anything to do with it? I dont know in my case- Im Sal jr either way.

12. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Thats a good question too but I don't think I do but others may treat people different cause of there screenname. Hell, there are so many bizarro ones out there now nuthing seems itimidating anymore.
    If we could just find a surefire of keeping the sick sex pervs and pedofiles away but man O man is the internet the tool of their wet dream or what?? Its perfect for those types to exploit people.

egg

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Egg,

I dont even want to discuss those evil people here. I was just referring in this thread to the folks who post here. The last thing I want to do is make a depressing thread!

BUT... since you mentioned it... and just glancing the surface of that aspect of the internet, there is another example of people whose internet identity can and does likely differ from their real life. That fellow from congress whose actions are taking up headlines is a good example of the extreme cases of alternate internet identity gone WAY WRONG. I dont even want to discuss the problems with that- that kind of stuff is pretty much an open-and-shut BAD DECISION. This thread though ought not go there.

For the sake of the thread and to keep it out of HI, lets drop that.

Im talking about nuances- like my own... where a fairly quiet but inwardly silly guy lets that little inhibition go and goofs off here on the BOC just a smattering more than he would in real life.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    What things do you do here... or anywhere online that you dont normally do in person? thats a good question , my vulgarity is toned down quite a bit on here , i still try to controll it in person but after spending a few hours on a boat with me you would see the profanity flow from me , sorry thats just me

How are you different online than in real life? im not , as far as i know . although i tend to think out my replys a little more online , instead of just blurting out what comes to mind , i have to word my online statements to cater to the ones that can not comprehind my typing ability or lack of

Are you quieter? im more the opposite of quiet in person

Meaner? not so much meaner more agressive in person

stricter? yes in my opinion of how and where to catch fish

more playful? i like everyone enjoy a good laugh at some one elses expense , yes im more fun loveing

Are you more conservative or more liberal or more independant? according to my mother , iv always been more independant , as a child i shunned hugs and all the personal contact that a mother requires , would tend to do things my way , that practice has carried over into adulthood ,i prefer to be alone as opposed to surrounded by fools

Do you believe you're exactly the same? i believe iv already answerd this question , i wont repeat myself

Do you think you come across the same as you do in person or do you cater what you say because you know that things are not read the same by everyone? iv also answerd this one

the pondering of these questions have brought to mind another question

how would you know if what iv answerd is true less you spend quality time with me in person ?

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Reckon I'll have to let the brothers/sisters I met at NG1 pass that judgement. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there were people I met...:roll_eyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Lysistrata had a good idea.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Are you quieter?
    yes

Meaner?
    no

stricter?
    no

more playful?
    absolutely more playful in person

Are you more conservative or more liberal or more independant?
    about the same..... Live and let live

Do you believe you're exactly the same?
    pretty close.... although I can be very chatty sometimes

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    A quote by popeye (of all people:roll_eyes: ) pretty much sums me up. "I am who i am".

I guess i'm just a big kid at heart. If i met ya in person your more than likely fair game if you leave the door open for me to pull the wool over your eyes. It seems to break the ice and ease tension......All in good fun.:tounge_out:

18. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I am much, much more quiet and reserved.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now and then, on the internet, I shut up!
    Not so in real life.

20. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Other than the substitution of "COLORFULL" language. LOL! What you read is what you get. I'm not one to pull punches or dress things up.

If it walks and quacks like a duck. Its a duck! LOL!

If ya open the door, I'm comein in.

I don't have time for "DRAMA". Say whats on your mind and lets keep movein.

Have no time for those that can help themselves and don't. But are quick to ask for someone else to help them pick up thier slack.

If ya ask me a question I'll do my best to answer it. May not be what ya wanna hear,but remember. You asked it.