Interline/Intercast rods from Daiwa and Cabela's

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by reelworks, Jan 26, 2009.

1. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    I've been using several of these rods for several years no, I got the first Daiwa Interline casting rod about 15 years ago and have used it ever since. I have one Cabela's Intercast XL with a spinner on it, an 8-17lb rod, one heavier spin rod which i believe is rated 15-20 lb or so, and another 17-25lb casting rod of the same series.
    When I first got the Interline, it was a 'Here, try this' deal from a buddy with a tackle shop, I at that time also spooled up with then new Stren oval mono in 20lb test. The thing casted good but I wasn't fond of the all the memory the line had, I then switched to Fireline 30lb after a talk with Daiwa about it, the line change turned the rod into a rocket launcher. I've run that same set up on that rod ever since. That rod was the first I saw of it's kind, and untll about 7 years ago, I hadn't had my hands on another. I was always leary about the Fireline grooving the inner blank area, but after 15 years moderate freshwater use, I still see no problems or signs of wear. The inner liner sample they gave me with the rod appears to be just plastic or graphite, not any sort of super hard coating.

The newer Cabela's rods have also seen a lot of use, the ligher spin rod being the most used. I use those in saltwater and have made the small spin rod my croaker and weakfish rod. I've had that rod fully loaded with several huge bluefish, the largest nearly 20lbs, the rod survived and actually handled it very well. All three of my Cabelas rods have had Power Pro on them from day one, the smaller spin rod has had a 6.3:1 ratio reel and 20lb power pro on it now for 6 years, it's been used hard and has the most use on it out of all these rods. It too has faired very well.
    I am most impressed with it's casting distance, as well as casting acuracy with that style rod.

The larger casting rod has a 6600 Abu Eon reel and has been used for everything from catfish to stripers and it too has been a great rod.

The last one is a 20lb rated spin rod with a 3000 Shimano Spheros on it which is also used for saltwater and back bays, that one has only a season or two on it but works great.

I at first didn't think these would cast as far due to all the drag on the line but the result seems to be oposite, all of my Intercast rods are my longest throwing rods.

Has anyone else had any extended experience with this style rod?

I see Cabelas discontinued the higher end XL version of these rods.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have the cabela's intercast, and used it for bass fishing, i also found that braid works the best, i'd like to use it this year and land a couple flatheads:wink:

3. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    I was most amazed at how well the spin rod worked, I also tried it with a super fast Okuma Metaloid MDS30, it casts so much farther and so much more accurate it's unbelievable.
    I keep reading all the drawbacks to this type of rod but so far have experienced none of them.
    I do find that I can through a bait caster harder and farther with one too, it does seem to somehow cut back on spool overrun or birdsnesting, but I think that may have something to do with the lack of all the loops between the guides. The line is allowed to leave the rod in a straight run rather then having to negotiate all the guides individually.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm reminded of screw-in choke tubes...Winchester brought out their WinChoke years and years ahead of the rest of the market, and despite their being a really great idea, they took a long time to catch on. Now it's hard to buy a shotgun that isn't equipped with screw-in chokes.

These rods may very well follow a similar path.