interior lighting for night time fishing

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 3, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    what type of lighting do ya have or want to put into your ride??? i thought ide give some of my tips to my system i use. it was really inexpensive and ive had no trouble with it.

first i was tired of draging a colman lantern with me to fish on the boat. first on a small boat with alot of padding and plastic it can burn melt or cause a fire. and not to mention burn you.

to remidy this problem i went to walmart to do some looking. i came up with small dome light size white lights. each have a push click on off switch on them. at $6 each not bad. i got three. i mounted one directly in the walkway between my center consoles (first pic). i fish from the front and dropped many things in that area and had to dig for flashlights. and mounted one on each side of the battery compartment cover in the rear of boat. for the rear fishermen. (2nd pic)

these three lights at $18 with the wires hidden provide full floor light in my 17' fish and ski. except under the consoles where your feet are driving and riding shotgun. i turned the front one switch side down and mounted it just a few inches off the floor so i can click it on with the toe of my shoe. very easy.
    the rear i wired removing the switches and hard wired to a toggle swith to turn on both simultainously.

this worked well for a bit. i then found that the live well and deck i fishef from at the v part of the bow was dark. sat up to high for the front light.

i returned to wal mart to investigate my options. i in the clearence section found automative 12volt rope lights. the type in the clear rubber hose. they only had yellow but at $7 i couldn't ask for more. i removed the lighter plug and wired to the fuse box with a toggle on the dash. they worked just faboulous for lighting the entire deck. there was even enough left when centered to go through the front of the console on either side and have a foot to light up the foot area on both sides. the yellow doesn't attract bugs either :cool: (third pic)

so for $25 and some unused speaker wire and a couple $3 switches ive got what looks much like stadium lighting im my CATILLAC!

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    don't give me to much hassle lol, my boat is messy. just installed my new foot controled minn kota. still need to vaccum. :eek:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks like an episode of "Pimp My Boat" LOL! Looooookin Gooood! How about a disco ball? LOL! Nice work!

4. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

looks like you got it lit up like a $2.00 cat house :D if you find a place you
    missed walmart also has 9'' floresent closet lights that run on 4 d cell
    batterys,you can put velcro on the back and put them any where you want,
    i keep one in the rod compartment and one in the battery compartment.
    GOOD JOB.LOOKS GOOD.
    KIRK :thumbsup:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looks great jeramy! thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thought about the closet light thing for the live wells. only thing im worried about battery corrosion in the wet area. thats still something i need to do though.

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jeremy, I did something similar in mine. I got the little regtangle ones from automotive section, removed click switch and hard wired them all to a switch. It was bright enough to read by. This boat,I'm combining red and white ones too. Great setup bro!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Not bad.

But I prefer it dark, using an LED headlamp when I need some light and glow-sticks on the end of my fishing rod. We'll frequently turn off the anchor light as well (no, it's probably not legal but it's a lot more comfortable - and we turn it on if we see any boats in the area) - unless you're landing a fish or moving around in the boat, you don't need light for anything.

Seems to me all that happens with bright lighting is that you attract a ton of bugs - and they've been thick this year on the lakes I fish. Drives me crazy when they fly down inside my ear...

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A good coating of "Vaseline" on low voltage DC,12 volt and under, bulb bases,fights corrosion on auto and marine light bulbs.DO NOT use it where heat will cause it to melt and run out,or catch fire.I learned it 0ver 50 years ago,and have used it from the heat of south Flordia,to the cold of Maine.Fresh and salt water.It works.peewee-williams

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mr T,I fish with 12 rods out sometimes and it is hard to keep track of them all with no light or a headlamp particularly when they are spread down both sides and rear of a 21 ft center console boat.I use a Coleman Northstar propane lantern with an Amber globe which the bugs are not attracted to.I elevated the lantern above the center console by mouting it to a stainless steel Shakespeare radio antennae extension and then simply mounting it on a stainless antennae base.That puts it 7 ft in the air where it doesnt shine in my eyes and totally illuminates the whole boat even set on its lowest setting.I never minded the bugs flying into my ear it was the constant buzzing around once they got inside because they couldn't find any place to land.Either that or they would argue about whether it was best to eat me right now or carry me home to the kids.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    these lights are off most of the time. there extremly handy to have when something is dropped and removing stubborn hooks. the yellow rope are on 100% of the time to aloow me to see and cut bait. the anchor is plenty in the rear for most other needs. its just nice to have light when ya need it and know right where its at with no worry on being DOA.

i use 8' glowsticks. they are the ticket. i will never shut off my lights. we had a fatilaty on the lake this early summer. an idot ran square over a pontoon killing an 86 year old man and injuring several others. he fled the scene. conservation and police closed off the ramps and caught him fleeing. :cursing:

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like the light idea. If I ever get another boat I'm going to do the same thing. Although i'm either going with green, red or black lights. Colors that do not cause night blindness. Thats the most pain in the butt thing there is. Turning a light on then not seeing nothing for a few min. after the lights are off as your eyes adjust. For now I just have a spotlight when I need light it seems to put off enough.

13. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    On my 14 ft jon boat, I have a metal antenna mount on the left side of the boat mounted to the rail. It is the folding type of antenna mount. On that, I have a 5' piece of pvc pipe then an elbow, then a light bulb socket and 12 volt bulb. In stored position, it lays along the edge of the rail and when upright sits straight up and is above your head. It is wired to a switch plate where I also have my 2 front lights wired to which is right beside my seat. I use the front lights while navigating and the (porch light) while rigging, baiting, landing, etc. I turn it off while fishing. It's nice to have it especially when landing a fish or rebaiting, tying or whatever. I also use a head mounted light with red LED nightvision light. I use white rods and they glow against that red light. The porch light is also great for packing up after fishing. This was all done when I bought the boat from Ponykilr. (great idea) But he chose not to do it in his new boat.

14. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I've been checking this site out and would like to try some of these.

superbriteled.com

15. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Joe, you will find all sorts of usefull (and useless) LOL, stuff on here. I will try to take some pics of my boat and setup.

16. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Sorry for the confusion Kitty I wasn't talking about the Boc. lol

I was taking about the addy that I posted at the end of my msg..

17. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Tis I that was confused.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I had a buddy that used lights similar to the ones jeramy used on his boat but he put them outside the boat as well (one on each side) wired on a sepatate switch from the interior lights. they came in super handy when netting a large fish or setting lines after dark,no fumbling with the flash light and both hads to work the net. he also found them at wally world in the auto section.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    dude im really glad i posted this. thats sheer genious. im putting one on the side with my rod holders tonight. see ya, going to wally now. with the clicker switch on these it would be so easy to pop it while fighting a fish and no confusion or shouting "hurry up and find the :cursing: flashlight" thanks. you just added a great idea to mine.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ya prob thought i was kidding hugh? well just got back from wallys and one of two of my landing lights are installed. they are the same $5.88 lights with the clicker switch. now when icatch a fish one click on the light and its hassle hands free lighting with no batteries and digging for a dead flashlight. thanks for the great idea.