Interesting

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Gringoloco, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I was watching a show the other night on the top 10 deadliest sharks of the world. I have always thought the Great White was the biggest predator but it turns out more shark attacks on humans have come from the Bullshark. And when they started explaining why, I was shocked. This shark has adapted itself to swim and live in fresh water. I did some internet research and bullsharks have been spotted and some caught in the Mississippi River as far up as St. Louis, Mo. I have always had a fear of sharks since watching Jaws as a kid. But really became more aware of how they attack when I saw a hammerhead attack a seaturtle while I was scuba diving when I was stationed with my dad in Panama the country. I would have never thought that a saltwater shark could thrive in fresh water. But fresh water Bullshark attacks are very common in many parts of the world. So has anyone ever spotted a shark or caught one out of the rivers around us? I thought I pulled out a shark one time when I caught a 4-5lb sturgeon by Chain of Rocks in Alton because I had no clue what it was until I did some research.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats why I don't like to swim. I won't even go in the ocean anymore. Don't even like to swim in freshwater.:roll_eyes: Snakes, snapping turtles etc......:crazy:

Maybe even a 200lb Blue Cat looking for a meal, that would be sweet revenge for the fish eh?

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    SEE!!!!! I have good reason to fear the water!:wink:....well......besides the fact that I am a lousy swimmer. If skippy ever ends up in the water, lifejacket or not, you'll see me leaving a roostertail to the nearest bank.:smile2:

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the linked article about them, so they have made it up even further than what I have read. I don't think I will ever swim in a river again or lake again!!! I go on quite a few floats trips in the year and never worried about anything other than gar and snakes and sometimes snapping turtles :eek:oooh:

6. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    ive heard the stories too but didnt think they could swim that far up river the was a good article to interesting

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    LOL!! You guys are funny! You didn't read the entire article! You all need to read the fine print all the way at the bottom of the page.:wink::smile2:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Very Nice Bill, LMAO! But there is an old photo and article from like the 30's 40's sometime back when Bob and Harry started fishing anyway, with 2 guys from Alton that caught a bull Shark, has the old pic and all.... Was even on one of them discovery channel shows. Heck it may have been Bob and Harry......:smile2:

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    A[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ny resemblance in the above story to actual fact may be coincidental and could be disregarded, depending on your mood. April Fools![/FONT]

:smile2:

10. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i remember seeing that on monster hunter it was a crazy show

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :beat_shot:Oopsie woopsie..... guess I didn't read the small print at the bottom!

You got me!

EDIT: Wait a cotton-picken minute? What about the link Randy posted?

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There was a Bull shark caught 8-10 years ago at the chain of rocks low water dam. I think it was snagged.

13. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Sonds like some more cave fish stories to me

14. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very interesting Bill, Thanks for posting

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Do not fear what is in the river. If anything you should fear the river. Or at least have one hell of a bunch of respect for it.:wink:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Bob, I fear all water, don't even get in that big whirlpool tub too much.:smile2: I prefer to shower.

Thats funny that I spent 10+ years in the Navy and sailed almost around the world. LOL!!

Don't have a problem in a boat as long as she is seaworthy. In the water is a place i would prefer to stay out of.

Got caught in a riptide off Waikiki Beach in Oahu on shore leave and thought I was gonna drown.:crazy: That was it for me. I remember another close call at the Cuivre River State Park when I was a kid. I'll wear my PFD and stay in the boat thank you.:smile2:

I respect the river and am not afraid to navigate it but I Ain't getting outta the BOAT!

17. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Bill, you totally had me! That is some good stuff.:smile2::smile2:

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I think Kutter is right there was one caught here some years back.

19. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I caught a shark. Kept her for 12 years. I threw her back though. Cost me good too.:smile2::confused2::tounge_out: