INTERESTING WEEK ON TACKLE

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 1, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MY NEIGHBOR AND HIS SON SPENT AN ENTIRE 9 DAYS IN THE LHC AREA FISHING FOR STRIPERS,LARGE/SMALL MOUTHS AND CATS..... WELL THEY CAME OFF THE RIVER AND TOLD ME THAT THEY, FOR NOW ON, ARE STRICKLY LIGHT TACKLE.(IT WAS THE WAY THEY SAID IT) SO I ASKED WHY AND THEY TOLD ME ABOUT THEIR TACKLE..............

THE SON HAD 2 SHAKESPEARE COMBOS( KMART SPECIALS) 1 WITH 12 BBG AND THE OTHER WITH 10 ( BOTH CLEAR )

THE DAD HAD 3 9FT MEDIUM SIZED SPINNERS WITH 30 LB FLUROCARBON ( CLEAR LINE)

BOTH HAD THEIR OPINIONS ABOUT WHY THEY USE WHAT THEY USE

SON SAYS: "IT DONT MATTER WHAT U HAVE IT A FISH WONT BITE IT"

DAD SAYS: " THERES NO SENSE IN TRYING TO FISH IF YOU CANT BRING IT TO THE BOAT"

NEEDLESS TO SAY THEIR WAS ALREADY A BET ON WHO WOULD BE THE ONE BRINGING HOME THE BETTER PICTURES.......

DAD TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!!! HE SAID " I DID EVERYTHING FROM USING THE SAME LURE AS JUNOIR TO FISHING NEXT TO HIM AND STILL NOTHING! "
    NOW THE KICKER ABOUT THIS STORY IS DAD IS A VERY WELL KNOWN FISHERMAN AROUND LHC AND MANY PEOPLE CONSIDER HIM AS A FISHING GUIDE INSTEAD OF A FISHERMAN!:eek:oooh:

AFTER DAD LOST HIS PRIDE ( 3RD DAY OF GETTING SKUNKED ) HE PEELED OFF 1/3 OF HIS FLURO AND PUT THE 12# BBG HIS SON WAS USING AND STARTED NAILING FISH WITH HIM

THEY WERE HITTING THEM LEFT AND RIGHT WHILE TROLLING SO DAD THOUGHT THAT THE FISH STARTED BITING SO HE BROUGHT OUT THE OTHER POLE WITH 30 LB FLURO AND STARTED TROLING WITH IT INSTEAD,BUT AS SOON AS HE DID... HE DIDNT CATCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAD WAS FLABERGASTED WITH THE FACT THAT HE BROUGHT HIS TUNA POLES OUT TO DO SOME SERIOUS TROLING WITH HIS NEW GIANT STRIPER LURES ( HE USED THEM HERE BEFORE) BUT DIDNT CATCH ANYTHING UNTIL HE USED USED THE 12 BBG...... HE "BROUGHT THEM BECASUE HE STARTED DOING SOME TUNA FISHING WITH HIS BOSS AND LIKED THE HOGGING YOU CAN DO WITH 30 LB FLURO "

THEY STOPED AT THE MARINA AND WENT HOME FOR DADS BASS COMBOS AND BASICALLY THREW HIS TUNA SETUPS IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK :smile2:

BOTH OF THEM SPENT THE NEXT WEEK FISHING. BOTH WERE USING SAME EXACT BASS COMBOS AND DAD WAS LIVING UP TO HIS REPUTATION AGAIN :wink:

AFTER THE TRIP/ CAMPING HE STOPED AT THE BAIT N TACKLE AND TOLD HIS LONG TIME BASS PARTNER WHAT HAPPNED AND HE TOLD DAD THAT SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO HIM

SON GOT THE LAST LAUGH AND 12 FISH OVER 5 LBS UP TO 11LBS ALONG WITH BRAGGING RIGHT FOR A WHILE:smile2:............DAD DID OKAY WITH 4 5LBERS AND 2 7LBERS ALONG WITH GETTING HIS PRIDE BACK

BOTH SAID THAT ITS THE BEST WEEK THEY EVER HAD FISHING ON LHC AND WANA DO IT AGAIN WITH 8 LB LINE TO SEE IF THEY GET EVEN MORE PICTRES:smile2::tounge_out::eek:oooh::wink::roll_eyes:

I THOUGHT ID SHARE THIS WITH YOU ALL BECAUSE I WAS GETTING READY TO BUY A FEW BIGGER SETUPS LIKE THE TUNA POLES BUT NOW I THINK IM STICKING TO MY BASS COMBOS ( I HAVE THE SONS RIG TOO)

ITS ONE THING TO GET SKUNKED FOR 1 DAY BUT NOT 3 IN A ROW:confused2:

WHAT DO YALL AZERS THINK???????????????????????????

LeRoy

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good story, I think sometimes we forget the presentation is important, I will keep this story fresh in my mind. Thanks!

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Trout fishermen always use the lightest line possible. I think it has something to do with the fishes imaging of the target. A long thin line sticking out of the intended victim isnt what they are used to so it puts them off. Other fish seem to be less line sensitive. I always use the lightest line that I can use to humanely land the fish. If you are fishing in a snag free area, you can land some pretty big fish on light tackle, but you will ultimately lose more fish and more terminal tackle which isnt cheap, not to mention leaving fish with hooks and line trailing out of their mouths. Many people say that heavier line doesnt allow a lure to impart all of its action due to increased stiffness. I dunno, but I do know that sometimes Ive had crankbaits be a little off by bouncing them off rocks and they just wont catch fish where another same but undamaged lure will.
    Isnt fishing fun? The more I learn, the less I know.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I THINK THE BIGGEST ILL GO IS 20 LB BECASUE I INTENDED TO BUY POLES RATED FOR 30LB AND PLANED TO USE 30 LB MONO!

YOUR PRESENTATION IS THE KEP FOR BASS AND EVEN KNOW I RAG ON THE STUCKUP BASSERS AROUND HERE IN LHC I LIKE BASSING MORE THAN CATTING MOST OF THE LIME!!! BUT IF IT TUGS A POLE! ITS A GOOD CATCH !!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT KNOW BUT I THINK HAVASU AREA IS PRETTY LOW ON SNAGS SO IM NOT SURE ABOUT GOING OVER 25 MAX!!!

AND YA YOU WILL LOOSE MORE TACKLE WHEN U GET SNAGED BUT I TAKE 10 MINUTES EVERY NIGHT TO FIND MONO,HOOKS,WEIGHTS ECT ON EBAY AND NEED TO STOP WRITING THIS AND SEE THE CURRENT BID ON A SPOOL OF BBG IM LOOKING AT!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    good story. agree with it up there. you're right on not that many snags if in boat. even from shore it's pretty clean bottem. but sure didn't give this "guide" a lot of props from it. LOL
    i have to use heavier line down here around yuma, but depending if i'm in river or back water will be size of line. lightest i will use is 12 and i've got one reel spooled with 65lb. but then i admit for small channels, crappie, gills, i use from 2lb -6lb.
    varies from place to place.
    your thoughts do make you think and your on the right track.
    gary

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I HAVE AN INFLAMED ISRIS ( PART OF YOUR EYE ) AND AN EYE INFECTION SO I SPENT 87.6% OF MY TIME OUT OF SCHOOL ON THE COMPUTER AND FOR TROPHY STRIPER IN THE OCEAN MOST OLD SALTS USE 30LB MAX SO THAT TELLS YOU SOMETHING!!!!!!!

7. Gabrielxx

Gabrielxx New Member

State:
    Arizona
    in most cases the amount of open space dictates line strength. while fishing deep open water on lake pleasant last year my uncle caught the arizona inland waters state record for striped bass, with 12lb mono on. the bass was 27 pounds. granted, on 12 pound line and being very careful with it, it did take him like 40 minutes to get the fish in the boat. been striper fishing with him allot on plez last year but my personal best is only 7lbs =P

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Gabriel,

That is a big stripper for lake Pleasent! Congrats to your uncle... I am sure I have seen his picture on the wall at Cabelas, or Sportsman's, but maybe you can post one here? Every time I try Pleasent, I get bait sized stripers...

BTW ~ WELCOME TO THE BOC

When in open water you can use some pretty light line..

*Unfortunently, you can't get away with that when fishing for catfish, (snags). Unless you are drifting for them in open water..

~ THere are some dudes that fish for saltwater species with 6-8 lb mono for IGFA records..

~A

9. Gabrielxx

Gabrielxx New Member

State:
    Arizona
    heres a pic of the big boy, wasnt with him the day hey got it, but did get to see/hold it the next morning. when we fish stripers its under submerged green lights with anchovies normally, but he tried a 7 inch live waterdog the night he nabbed this guy, guess all the tiny ones couldnt get thier mouths around it =P when i got my 7lb with him it was by tossing the anchovie piece way out from the lights, letting it sink and then close the spool and let it swing under the boat. then just slowly bring it up. seems the bigger ones hang under the little ones when the big ones do actually show up.

Attached Files:

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice~ Thanks for the picture... That is a hellava fish~:crazy:

11. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    PLUMBERTOM1 from CALI BOYS has went on a tuna trip on several occasions and reported back that people catching the heck out of the fish and then all the sudden no bites on mono or any other line thicker than 20lb I beleive it was......UH OH I THINK THERE GETTING SMARTER!!!!! LIGHTEN UP BOYS!