Interesting things in WV....

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by price, Dec 31, 2007.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    While in West Virginia during Christmas at my wife's families home in Huntington I attended a fishing show. I noticed a set-up about blue cats. It seems that in the spring WV made blue cats a gamefish (senate bill #389), and have put a 2 fish per day creel limit on them and the minimum size that can be kept is 24". The WV DNR is stocking blue cats at a high rate (30,000+) in the Ohio River section in WV, and also the Kanawha River that runs across WV and empties into the Ohio. Both rivers have locks that separate sections. I was told that the stocking started in 2004 and the DNR is trying to set-up a trophy bluecat fishery there. They (WV legislature) passed the gamefish rule so they could set-up a creel limit and keep it protected from any commercial harvest. You can't commercial fish a game fish like bass, crappie, and stripers. WV has seen fit to do the same thing with bluecats. This makes rules to protect bluecats or all cats present in Virginia, TN, WV, and SC at Santee Cooper. Both WV rivers also contain channel cats and trophy size flatheads. A biologist in WV was quoted as saying that the DNR felt confident that both rivers would produce 50 LB blues in a very short time. Since I have relatives that live less than 20 minutes fom both rivers I think I will give them a try this summer:wink:.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang if these other states keep going they will all be playing ring around the rosie with nc.:wink: might have to add a rest area so we have a place to stop on the way.:big_smile: sorry i take that back. they already have the james river.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    sounds like they are on the rite track.

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    This is very good news! I wish that KY. would follow thier lead.

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

It's good to hear that another state has realized the value of the blue cat and it's potential. I hope the same happens here soon.

6. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    i would not want to eat any fish from west virginia ohio or kanawa with all the sewage in these river .a lot of these people sewage goes sraight in to creeks and rivers i know this for a fact and my family is not from here.you would think that ohio river tributary's would have native blue cats maybe all the crape in river has something to do with it. they should have called tug fork (turd fork) it is full of crape from mcdowell county so i dont think a-lot of people are going to harvest a lot of fish to eat

7. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the information. That means the trophy fishing will be even better. Made a good situation sound that much better:smile2:. I have always told people that if you want a trophy fishery (for most species) put a sewage treatment plant up from you favorite lake or river. Makes the bait population high, doesn't seem to bother bluecats, and people don't want any of them to eat....the best possible situation.

8. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I would be happy if there could be any kind of law passed to limit the amount and size of catfish taken by comercial fisherman in the Ohio river valley.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I wish Indiana would do the same, then we could send some of the commercial guys back to there own state. rspd507

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I really wish I had known about that.:sad2:
    Where was it at? I live 20 miles from downtown Huntington and have been Itching to try the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers up that way. My Mom lives in Hurricane so I've got a place to go if too tired to come back home after a long trip. There looks to be some promising bank spots up around Charleston.:cool2: It stinks I have no boat. That will change soon though I hope!!!:big_smile:
    When you get back up this way let me know and we can hook up and wet a line somewhere.:big_smile:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...would not want to eat any fish from west virginia ohio or kanawa with all the sewage in these river..."

They do the same in the Catawba and Yadkin chains in NC. As a matter of fact they dump poison in there that makes humans sick but does not harm the fish. NEVER EAT FISH FROM THE CATAWBA OR YADKIN CHAIN!! :smile2:

As for the post, one day I hope North Carolina will become proactive in the management of the blue cat populations. Hopefully the proposed legislation is our first step. I hope it will provide the biologists with the information they need to take the next step.

While I "wish" for a lot of things to happen, I realize they WILL NEVER HAPPEN if someone does not take the steps neccesary to make them happen. My one goal for the Carolina Catfish Club in 2008 is to do something that makes the catfish populations in NC better for everyone in the future.

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Game fish status for Blue cats would solve a lot of problems. I would like to see it happen.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    North Carolina does post a mercury advisory on catfish south and east of I-85. That includes Lake Wylie.

14. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.

I think that you are right! Wishing and hoping doesn't accomplish anything. Who proposes the legislation..........who do we lobby?...... What are the procedures involved?