Interesting things happen at the river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by run-catfish-run, Aug 7, 2007.

1. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Well we decided not to go to work today and ended up fishing got to the river with a bucket full of chubs and was set to go.SMART ME decides to take the old truck down the beaten trail well the truck starts to slide nails a rock pops the tire so we are stuck down in a ravine raining may I add with a flat tire so I put my other racing slick on with no tread to match the other.When I thought damn what was I thinking so I follow the path a little ways turn around in a forest and proceed to race my truck up a mud covered hill with RACING SLICKS after several attempts and some not so friendly language I make it up while my fishing buddy are laughing there butts off.FINALLY we get to fishing after watching 6 nice ones get off about 10 ft from the bank we finally catch a few good ones.BUT THIS WHERE ITS GET INTERESTING AS I was sitting praying for fish had to been a gar I dunno If I wasnt in Indiana I swear it was a crocidile. was on top of the water open it's mouth had to be atleast 20inches in length the mouth closes it in 1 big splash and proceed to go into the water like a humpback whale had to be atleast a foot or more wider and ripples in the water size of a hood on a car.

2. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Geess....Where was this at??

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    sounds like a big gar. one of my fav. spots to fish has gar hitting on top water all the time day or night and they do that to. just not as big as what your discribing. gator gar dont come up this far i dont think... or do they? :roll_eyes: ive always wanted to shoot one with my bow...

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Could have been a sturgeon. My buddies in Lafayette have been bowfishing for bighead carp off a platform they built in the river. They have seen 20 to 30 monster sturgeon float by dead from the low water/oxygen.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    never thought about that, good possibility tho. what do you mean when you say "monster" cuz shovlenose and lake stugeon are the only ones we have around here and they top out at like 30-40 pounds i think. which is a big fish but compaired to atlantic/white sturgeon its small.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that platform would happen to be yellow-ish and can be seen from the US 231 bridge just south of West Lafayette would it?

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i would say probably sturgeon but they dont have mouth its on the bottom. probably large alligator gar i ahve seen them up here near covington. i also have seen the yellowish platform and wondered what itt was tooo NORHT./

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Gator Gar up this far north? you sure?

9. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Yep, thats the platform. He's been slaying the bighead carp with his bow. Some of them pushing 40 lbs. Here's a pic of some average size ones (you can see 231 in the background). He called me from the platform the other day telling me about all the dead sturgeon floating by. I never realized they were in there that thick. I never heard of anyone catching any either.

Attached Files:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the aligator gar are thick down in the evansville area of the ohio .. i have seen some that i wouldnt want to catch!!!

11. flatheadhunter32

flatheadhunter32 New Member

State:
    illinois
    aligator gar are you sure so long noise gar can get 40lbs

12. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    caught several down at williams dam in williams indiana seen one caught bet was bout 20lbs hope this helps you

1,2,3 set the hook,
    jr