Interesting scene in Catfish video

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loki1982, Aug 29, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I subscribe to netflix, and received "Cashing in on Catfish" today. I sat down to watch it, and towards the beginning on the show, there is a flathead apparently in an aqaurium and a minnow swims within about 5 inches of it. The flathead sucks it in, in a split second. He didnt even move, just inhaled like a vacuum. I was quite suprised and had to rewind it to watch it again. Anyways, im just beginning the video, and just thought it was rather interesting to see thsi in aciton.

2. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I always assumed that's what they did. Matter of fact, I can see when it happens by watching my rod tip.

But yeah, that video is cool stuff, aint it?

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My wife joined netflix for us. I'll have to make sure she gets tht one for me.

In case anyone is interested, the way they do the vacuum thing is pretty cool. Some fish have muscles that can hold the gills closed and they have flaps there that seal pretty much water tight. Then another set of muscles pulls down the throat which causes the gills to flare (while still sealed) and the rest of the mouth cavity to expand (creating negative presure inside). Then, when they pull the mouth open the vacuum created causes water to suck in from directly in front of them. Have you noticed with flatheads that real nice sort of gasket just in from the jaw bones? I would bet that when they close their mouth that forms a tight seal, and then they can strain the water out through the gills (the rakers form a seive) and there's no way the fish they just sucked in can get away.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jared, Thanks for the heads up Brother. My wife also does the netflix deal, do you know of any other catfishing videos? I'm going to go look to see what they have. If I run across a good one I'll let ya know.

st

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got that same video in queue.I haven't seen any other cattin videos but I keep checkin to see if they've added any new ones.I can't wait to get that video and check it out!!!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the heads up.

Have to see if my online Blockbuster has that video.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have watched several species of fish on video eating baitfish. I also have a few small channel cat, and a bullhead in our aquarium at home. Watching these fish prey, and how fast they inhale those baitfish, makes you wonder how the heck you could ever miss a bite!?:eek:oooh:

8. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I'm jumping on the bandwagon now too! Ya'll hurry up and watch the video so I can watch too!!!:smile2:

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was a entertaining video, but it didnt really teach me anything. One thing though, in the movie they fish at Choke Canyon(South Texas). I have fished this lake 2 times and its is extremely well know for channel catfish. The birds from the coast(seagulls, cranes, pellicans) roost in the trees. The bird crap and the channel catfish feed under there roost. Its common on this lake for anglers to target the roost areas using whatever foul concoctions they can. Caught well over 60 channels in 10 hours first trip. Second trip was not nearly as productive.

edit - also, i think there is only like 1-2 catfish videos on netflix.
    Some of the videos I own are: an infishermen one, forgot name. Bill Dance one, its pretty good. And Girls gone grabbling :)

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    loki

Did the Flathead swim off (RUN) after it took the minnow plz??

I think I already know :wink: !!

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    It's actually neat to see them do that.I have also seen bass do that to blow a lure away from it