Interesting read

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ol Man, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From yesterda's Parade Magazine
    Beware Which Fish You Eat

We’re decimating the world’s fish supply, warns Bruce Knecht, a sailor and author of Hooked: Pirates, Poaching, and the Perfect Fish. “The populations of our most popular fish are less than 10% of what they were 50 years ago.” The big reason is industrial fishing—what Knecht calls “the stripmining of fish,” a lot of it illegal. Large species, from swordfish to Chilean sea bass (real name: Patagonian toothfish), are caught with lines that run for 12 miles and carry up to 15,000 hooks. In a single day, 30 tons can be caught, fired down a shoot, sawed up and thrown into a freezer. One boat can catch $3.5 million worth in three months. Much of our fish now comes from the Southern Hemisphere, and supplies there are running out too. “ In less than three years, virtually the entire population of toothfish in Chile, Argentina and the islands off Africa was wiped out,” Knecht notes. Instead of allowing marine populations to rebound, the industry is racing to catch the last fish.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would have to agree, that is an interesting read. I know surf fishing has gotten tougher through the years and I had pointed the finger at pollution and illegal commercal fishing. Good post

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    gesh...

thanks for posting

do we really eat/need that much fish to be cought....

i do know that they are trying to make little fish farms somewhere and grow cod i think
    hope they get it all worked out cause i have no doubt if they dont do somethin about this ALL/MOST of the fish in the sea will be GONE

Jeff

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Imho, that is just one symptom of the disease, "Greed"! There are other symptoms too, like air, water and earth polution. It's in our face! Pay now, pay later, but the cost of greed will be paid!

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

yep u hit the nail on the head

Jeff

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great Post Thank you for sharing!-----------:smile2:

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I read the book 'Cod' about the exact thing happening to cod. If you are interested let me know, I'll get the Exact title, author, ISBN #.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

they'd never get away with a trotline like that in oklahoma:crazy: