Interesting ideas in blue catfish baits!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by river scum, Dec 16, 2007.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i just finnished reading an article in the new in-fisherman. it was insites of two formatable catfishing gurus,moyer&jamison. both sudjested they age thier baits in the fridge for a few days. the reasoning behind this is that the bait developes a closer match to the forage fish are feeding on!(aka a dead aroma) i found this very interesting,and logical. i am intreeged by the winter time blue cat habits. since i dont have any to fish for close to me, i thought i would run it past the experts in the B.O.C. your input, both pro and con, will be greatly apriciative.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tim, there is no doubt that their system is working. The only thing is a catfish will hit just about any bait. I prefer my bait fresh or live. By fresh I mean if I'm going to fish it cut, that it must be alive at the time it is cut and then put immediatly on the hook and in the water. I get a lot of quick bites using this method. I think the fish actually prefer fresh over stale bait. Kinda like do you want that week old steak from the fridge that is "iffy", or would you prefer a fresh one cooked to order. When Catfish, gar, and other fish are feeding on big schools of shad the fish that they are eating are alive at the time they eat them, not a week dead. JMHO. Vern

P.S. after rereading your post, I see that it is about winter habits. I can see this a bit more than any other time of year, because when the shad kill comes there will be dead shad everywhere and the fish are feeding on stale bait more. I will still fish fresh if I have a choice though. Vern

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tim, there could well be something in this.
    I am a dyed-in-the-wool believer in fresh is best but I know for a fact that winter killed shad that can be gathered at ice out are very effective bait at that time. It may be because the cats are hungry and just chowing down and I've never done a back to back test with fresh shad as that is almost impossible to find at ice out but it may be that fresh meat at this time of year is just not right to the cats so the fridge kept stuff is more effective.
    I did read an article in which a biologist stated that freezing liver dramatically improved it's effectiveness as a bait. Something to do with the proteins changing because of the freezing...W

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I rarely have a chance to use fresh bait but, I would always perfer freshly caught bait. But then again I have never had a problem with bait that has been frozen for a dew months, I try to take the air outa the bags or vaccum seal it but it works for me and many others I have talked too.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm still up in the air on this one too.I still try froze bait and refrigerated bait all the time but fished side by side fresh bait of the same kind it dont compare.Maybe its more of a river thing where the froze and refrigerated outperforms the fresh and maybe the winter time has somethin to do with it too, I dont know.Just from my experience in reservoirs it dont seem to do as good as fresh.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Man, I can vouch for that! The other day I was drifting the same water as Chris: He was using fresh cut bait, I was using frozen. He put 16 fish in the boat, I put 3 :roll_eyes:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would still have to prefer fresh bait, I always have plenty frozen incase I need some and they are hard to come by, it just seems like I have caught more fish on fresh bait. Even though both my PB flathead and blue were taken on frozen...I dont know about that aroma thing but hey its a good idea I guess??

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont have skipjack in any of my local lakes or rivers so i have a 100 mile one way trip to make to get skips.when i get back and start useing them for bait it seems like the longer i got it in the fridge the slower the fish are about eating it.the first week or2 its on and then it slows way down till my next trip for skips and then it on again.

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I just read the same article yesterday & I think Vern nailed when he says it's more of a winter technique. I'm also a firm believer in fresh kill.

J

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with you guys, i like fresh cut baits, i fish for flats though. keep the opinions coming!

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    During winter time, the dead bait makes sense as the fish are slowed as are their metabolism. Their movements are more sluggish and a dead fish/meal is much easier to get then working for live. Kind of like my car... summer it runs good but when it is winter, it is grouchy and would rather sit there.

12. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have fished with both fresh and refridgerated baits, and to me there is no comparison. Fresh is the only way to go. I've never tried to freeze Skipjack though. During the late summer when they get hard to find around here we use chunks that have been packed in salt in ice cream buckets then refridgerated, it works but still not as well as fresh. Again this is my experiences, and always on rivers.

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I choose fresh any day over frozen as well. IF I am going to fish within 2 maybe 3 days of catching my skippies I won't freeze them I would rather keep them dry and cold. After 3rd day they begin to get mushy so if it will be longer than that I go ahead and freeze them. Freshly frozen(within say a month preferably) is close to fresh and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if that is all I have. Older than that still works but not sure if you aren't hurting your chances a little?

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    one of the best baits i ever used and i mean B E S T was spoonbill eggs and spoonbill liver back in the 80s to early 90s from march to june when they had truman dam running water we caught unbelievable amounts of blues some days when u found the fish could only use 1 rod the action was good. we snagged for spoonbill mostly for the bait and asked others if we could have there eggs when they cleaned them. we zip locked baged them and frozem alone with the liver. how we kept the eggs on a trebble hook was we took a piece of thread about 2 foot long and wraped around the eggs on the hook , panty hose worked pretty good to. of course the conservation dept had to go and mess it up and out lawed using them in missouri . we cried dammit!!!!!!!!! if its legal to use them in your state do it they out fish shad i would say 10 to 1 in the spring with a nice current flow. :wink:

15. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    I think that fresh is the consensus, but we all will have exceptions to the rule. Last summer I had accidentally brought a pack of Mooneye with us that had been frozen and thawed a couple of times. It had started to get pretty mushy but I figured I'd give it a try. I couldn't even get my rod in the holder before getting a strike. You can't explain these things some times. I think the only way to get a good answer is to experimentally fish a few baits head to head under the same conditions. We also fished fresh shad that day with zero hits. Did not have any skipjack with me.

16. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    for some odd reason if u wrap ur bait up in news paper it seems to work just as well as fresh if u do that before freezeing them

17. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    Interesting observation on the newspaper. As much as the goal of catfish bait seems to make it stink, I often worry about accidentally altering the scent of the bait. Does any one worry about wiping off the slime coat on skipjack when you are freezing them? I have found how to catch the skippys, but have had some problems getting a good seal on them with my vacuum packer. Any good tips. Should I pre freeze them to solidify the fluids? Does anyone else have problems with some of the fins puncturing the bags?

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Actually I do have an answer for that one. For a long time I caught skips and just threw them on ice. for some reason they got that snotty slimy crap runnin off of them. Not only that but have you seen the bottom of the cooler after having a bunch of skips in a cooler full of ice. The water is like a peach color from my experience from all the blood. If you cover the fish up with ice it just makes sense to me the ice melts and the water starts to wash the slime off. I dont want this slime coming off, I think that is just as much an attractant as the blood. I Started last year doing something a little different and it has worked so well for me. When we catch the skippies we put them in BIG ZIPLOCK bags then on ice. Every time we get one we put it in the bag seal it then in ice. This way the fish get no extra water on them. They stay nice and cold but never get washed off by a foreign water. We normally can get about 7-10 skipps per bag. They are cheap and it for some reason doesnt get slimmy like when they are directly on the ice. im guessing that is why your bags werent sealing? Sucking up the slime? That is what we were running into. As for the bags getting punctured, if you slide the skipjacks into the bag headfirst you will not puncture the bags as much. I learned this the hard way, slide them in tail first one of the fins got the bag every time. Evan if you slide em in head first and accidently move it back up in the bag on accident it always gets it. And last i never can get a good seal if I try to put to many in a bag. I normally put 4-6 skipps per bag depending on the size, and if your get the real monsters I just put 2 per bag. I put as many as i can in a bag So they can lay flat on there sides. This keeps there fins from sticking up into the bag. Can get expensive to do it this way but it sure works for me.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Never sealed/frozen skips, but lots of shad and they're right up there for sliminess. I put them in the vacuum bags and then in the freezer just long enough to freeze the slime hard enough that it doesn't get sucked into the seal bar on my vacuum sealer. Slows the process, but I get good seals.

20. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Never sealed/frozen skips, but lots of shad and they're right up there for sliminess. I put them in the vacuum bags and then in the freezer just long enough to freeze the slime hard enough that it doesn't get sucked into the seal bar on my vacuum sealer. Slows the process, but I get good seals.