Interesting facts, did you know...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    1) Catfish have over 27,000 taste buds. Humans have only 9,000 taste buds.

2) Few people would think about kissing a fish, despite the fact that most brands of lipstick contain fish scales.

3) Most eel-skin wallets are not made from eels. They are made from hagfish, which is not even related to the eel.

4) First novel ever written on a typewriter is Tom Sawyer.

5) If you keep a Goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white.

6) Catfish are the only animals that naturally have an Odd number of whiskers.

(Last but not least)

The late Otis "Toad" Smith from Sibley, Iowa, probably was one of the few men who ever caught a catfish with his own heart. After a very serious heart operation where a portion of Smith's heart was cut away, Smith went fishing for catfish, one of his favorite pastimes. Smith had told the doctors before the operation that he wanted to keep whatever portion of his heart they cut out. He said his heart belonged to him. Smith kept the part of his heart in a glass jar filled with formaldehyde. One day after he came home from the hospital, he looked at the piece of his heart in that jar and decided his heart should perform some useful function. He poured the formaldehyde out and replaced the liquid with Fish Formula's Catfish Scent. The first time he went fishing, he took a piece of his old heart from the jar, baited it on a hook and cast it out into the river. In just a few minutes, he caught an 8-pound catfish.

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    That last story is great. I don't know if I should be appalled by his actions or laughing my butt off. I hope it doesn't give any of us other catfishermen ideas about using body parts for bait:smile2:!

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Actually I believe that I read somewhere that Otis got in trouble with the law or got fined for using human body organs for bait. Not sure what became of it.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    And some say catfish taste bad.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice story. i tell people that catfish will eat anything. i guess that proves my point. thanks for sharing.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know how ya figure a catfish has an odd number of whiskers. All North American fresh water species have 2 on their top lip, two long ones on the sides, and four on their chin. Unless one or more have been removed in a scuffle, they should have four pairs.

Catfish may have up to four pairs of barbels: nasal, maxillary (on each side of mouth), and two pairs of chin barbels, although pairs of barbels may be absent, depending on the species. - Wikipedia.