Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
there is a guy at our local lake that has one. I always wonder how good it was, so I asked him one day, he said he had it for a few years with no problems at all, it is stable and easy to set up runs a small outboard on it around 9 hp/

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
One of the Missouri brothers has one also. Brought it to Keystone last year. We were fascinated with it. He ventures out on the Mississippi and catches some pretty big fish.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I've had one for about 4 years - getting ready to put it on the market because I have a more substantial boat on order.

Positives:
  • No trailer needed
  • Can store hanging on the side of the house or on the garage wall
  • Lightweight, can run very shallow.
  • Very stable for size, absorbs waves and wakes
  • Can launch anywhere, no ramp required

Negatives
  • It's a pain to put together / take apart
  • Things like seats, transom board, motor, etc take up a lot of room in the car or garage.
  • Underpowered for bigger rivers like the Missouri - 5hp maximum

I had fun with it, it could really scoot along on a lake, and run on some of the streams that nobody could get out on when the water was low. Mine was the 12 foot, and compared to a 12 foot jon boat it felt a lot safer and more stable out on bigger water. After the first year I got tired of putting it together and got a trailer for it.

It's a good option for somebody who doesn't have anywhere to keep a regular boat, or for people who can't pull a trailer. They seem to sell a lot to rv'ers as a take along boat. I've also heard of people taking them on their sailboats to use as a dingy.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My Sister and Brother in law have one the carry with in/on they're camper. They use it quite a bit, I think the have a small johnson motor on it. I keep asking about how they like it, and so far no problems. Later Andy

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Back in the 70's I thought about one of those to carry on top of our pop up camper. But instead, bought a 14 ft V bottom aluminum. It was much better, easy to load and unload, also plenty room for the whole family.

·
Registered
342 Posts
These are very popular with the RV folks... They are really slick and do work in fairly rough conditions. You just have to be smart about where you use them. For a real basic fishing boat, a couple of oars will get you out on the lake...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was looking into one in 14' before I saw the price!!!:crazy: The 14' was around $2000 with the floor boards, extra seat, and a few other options. They are supposed to be SUPER STURDY!! They are used in Japan for water rescues! The web site shows them dumping a INSANE amount of concrete boulders into it, and it keeps on floating like no biggy! If a person could find one used and a good price it would be worth having one to get back into the SKINNY WATER where only Canoes and Kayaks can go, but be ALOT MORE STABLE!!

Anyway just my $.02 worth of info! :wink:
Andy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.