Interested in Striper Fishing!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Hoosier_Catman, May 17, 2008.

1. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those early mornings on the river, when the water looks like a sheet of glass and the sun is just coming up, I always seem to hear and sometimes see these BIG splashes along the tops of the water, or like these large fish feeding on the top, making big swirls and stuff. I would guess these fish to be anywhere from 5lbs all the way to 15lbs and they are a white and silverish color. I've always assumed that these were Stripers. (I fish the Ohio River). I know that the state record in Indiana for Stripers is 38lbs. and it was caught on the Ohio River. Therefore I know they're out there, but I dont know how to catch em'. I've seen articles on Striper fishing before but I was curious to if any of you guys know enough about Striper fishin to help me out and fill me in with some info on how to catch these guys.
    One other thing. I do not have a boat, and I mainly fish from docks that I have access to along the river. So, this puts me at a huge disadvantage. still, any info would be great. thanx!

2. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    While you soakin some Catfish Bait's! Toss Out some Shad Colored Topwater Lure's or Crankbait's. Just might Hang into one, Right! Could Also Toss out a Live Bait under a Float. Just my .02's . My Striper's are usually Eating my Catfish Bait's :eek:oooh:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch stripers right along with catfish, on shad. cut, live, dead whole, they don't seem to care. i fish it on a slip rig and circle hooks. they aren't the fight of a cat, but good eating nonetheless.

4. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've heard live bait is good, and crankbaits ect. Just fish where you see activity, you should catch something.

5. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    We fish a lake here in Louisiana for stripers when it starts warming up, usually June through August. On a calm morning when the water's glassed over, sometimes you'll see acres of stripers bustin all over the water, running the shad and filling up on em. We've caught them on chrome spoons, Rapalas, Rogues , Rattle Traps, Poppers of all kinds and colors. My brother caught one 10# and my biggest so far was six and a half, but they do put up a good fight, and pretty good eatin too. I guess my favorite bait would have to be anything chrome or white resembling the shad, but usually the bigger fish are deeper than those schooling on top, keep that in mind, and next time you see them hitting on top, throw in front of them and they'll bust it for you !:roll_eyes:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I get to Striper and Catfish twice a week and for us Herring and or threadfins are the best all around bait. If your catfishing method is drifting just set 2 planer boards out the sides of your boat. They wont be in the way at all. You can also get away with two " free lines " out the back sides, just keep them out far..a good 100+ feet. Then you have " down rods ", its a Carolina rig using 1.5 oz egg sinker with a 18" leader with live bait on it. Set your depth to hug underwater tree-tops etc.

If you anchor, using fresh cut herring or threadfin is a good way to go this time of year.

That's a good fast introduction to Striper fishing but there are other things to look into like balloon rigs, u-rigs, trout or gizzards on big floats etc.

Just look for the gulls and blue herring ; )

-Jim-

If you find a big hybrid...hang on, LOL. I think our State Striper record is on my lake at 59 lb ....that's a big arse fish !!!

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of my striper fishing has been done from the bank. Usually in the winter time and at a steamplant on the cumberland river. In the spring however when the water temps rise to 60's they will hit many different topwater baits. Most of my larger stripers were caught on live skipjacks in the months of december ---February . You can float livebaits as well or you can cast topwater lures and also try a white 5" curly tailed on a steel hooked jig head. Good- Luck to Ya:cool2:

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I've caught more stripers this year than anything else!:confused2: They like my nightcrawlers just fine. I don't have a boat either, so I know where you're coming from. But stripers ( at least here!) aren't real particular about what they go after - but be ready, they love to put up a fight. But then that's half the fun anyway, right?!:big_smile:

Deb

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I seldom fish for stripers but they are fun to catch on top. A Zara Spook will do the trick, and after they bust the top and kill the shad, throw a fluke or something shad colored and let it sink down through where they boiled up at. A good tip to finding them is watch the shore birds. They know where the shad are at, and the stripers won't be far behind. Good luck and post some pics. I refer to striper's as hawgs with gills.:crazy:

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

STRIPER ALONG WIHT CATS MAKE RUNS BUT THERE SHORT...

STRIPER ACTUALLY KICK AND BUCK BUT A CATFISH IS LIKE FIGHTING A CAR...

THEIR BOTH GOOD FIGHTS BUT THE CATFISH RULES THE FRESH WATER :smile2: