Instinctive Shooting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Jun 26, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have tried all sorts of things in 30 years of bowhunting but always go back to instinctive shooting. I bought a Browning Compound bow several years ago and set it up with sights kisser button, stabilizer, etc. I shot all summer long until I could hit real tight groups. That season I missed more deer then I had in the whole 10 years before shooting my recurve instinctivly. Anyone else shot without sights?

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Billie;
    Man I am WITH YOU!!! Some time back I went and bought a PSE Laser Mag II with all the "trimmings" those graphite arrows et al. At the time I bought it this was supposed to be one of the best "2-Wheelers" available!
    I had the "Pro"[[yes he had all of his factory completion training certificates on the wall up front!]] at the store where I bought this thing set it up, make all the adjustments and all, everything matched to me, my style of shooting, my body, ect, ect. Thankfully, the store had a 50 yard Archery range so this was much easier to accomplish! Yes, they had folks shooting at 50yards with their compounds and some were shooting crossbows too.
    To make the long story short, I went out and practiced like I was supposed to do. Well, my experience was similar to yours!!:angry: By the time I decided which pin to use and all the "critter" was out of range!!
    I went back home, got out my longbow and the "telephone pole" arrows, worked out and practiced for a week to get my shoulder/back muscles back in shape for the heavier weight, then went out that following week. I was more at peace within myself, and much more confident, because I had my "Old Friend" which, by the way, was MUCH LIGHTER with me.:smile2:
    Sun comes up, 10 minutes later I am field dressing a NICE 8-Pointer that fell 6 steps from where the arrow hit him!:big_smile:
    What I found out, and this is my own personal opinon as it applies to me, is that when I practice like I should,{{ and honestly I've had this bow for so many years it does not take long to get back in form}} that I can get my longbow on target, locked in, released on target, much faster than I could when I had to figure out which pin to pick, get the branch out of the cables, ect, ect, ad nasium.
    The week after than, I sold that bow, 60 graphite arrows with 30 hunting broadheads, fieldpoints, spare cable, and everything else to an associate of mine for a mere $100.00/One-Hundred dollars. He was happy, even won first place in a target competition two weeks later, and I was happy.
    Don't get me wrong! I don't "Hate" Compounds and they do have their place. But that place is not in my arsenal! The one thing I DO have against Compounds, and altrustically it is not a fault of the bow, but the person that is using it is this. I have see all too many times where someone goes and buys a compound, has it set-up to their body and style of shooting. Then they go out a couple days before season opens and shoot say 6 to 12 arrows at some target at a known range [[saw one fool shooting at 80 yards on a rifle range!!!]] and then they think that is all they need to practice before going out in the field hunting!!:angry: Like I said, I don't blame the compound. However, sometimes the person behind it leaves a bit to be desired!
    That's not to say that every compound owner is like that because they are not.
    But Archery, like shooting a firearm, is a perishable skill! To stay accurate you have to practice, constantly, under all conditions! And that means each and every day during season too!
    For me, practice is not just shooting at a big round target at the range at a known range! It's shooting around a tree, kneeling, bow at an angle, unknown distances within my personal range, AND at the range I belong too, they have a platform ABOVE the ground for archers to practice shooting down out of a tree at the deer too! :smile2:
    People new to archery don't realize just how much you can be off when shooting from 12-20 feet above the ground!
    I had a recurve I was in love with too! It was a Bear Magnum that pulled 70# at my draw length that I had at one time. I'd still have it too if it had not been stolen!!:angry:
    If I could find a custom bowyer that would make me a custom recurve a foot longer than the factory Bear Mag, I would go to the bank and cash in a CD!!
    Sorry I got so long winded, but You are Right and I agree with you 100%. :)
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea Ed, That's why I go with a stick bow. I hunt the thickest areas I can find and shot from positions that don't allow me to get to full draw with a compound sometimes. I love my stick bows. I can shot behind me without turning around, under me, side ways, and all in a split second. Range doesn't matter! I know my "Kill Zone" so once the game is inside that, it's just point and shoot. It's kind of like combat pistol shooting. Concentrate on the spot I want to hit and let my brain do all the calculaions automatically.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My current set of bows is a Howatt recurve, a golden eagle compound, a browning compound, a long bow, several Osage bows and a tenpoint cross bow.

When I hunt with the compounds, I only use one pin set to 20 yards. Using hold over, I can shoot to 30 yards.

BUT! If you knocked on my door right now and said lets go hunting, I would grab the recurve. To me, it is archery. I very much like to shoot the recurve.

With a recurve, I have taken rabbit, squirrel, opossum, beaver, bird, snake, fish, hog and deer.

My love child was a Browning folding hunter II. It split a limb a few years ago. Sniff Sniff...

Hitting the paper is nothing like hitting the hair. I have missed deer completely at 5 steps. So practice is a good thing but hitting paper doesn't tell the whole truth. Even 3D is not the same because the "emotion" is not the same.

Robert

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    This probably isn't the time or place, but my wife says I have no sense anyways, but isn't that what happened to Vice president Dick Cheney? didn't he shoot instictively?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

6. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billie,
    I've been an archer since I was 7 years old and the tip of my bow limb would scrape the ground and I have tried using pins without much luck past 20 yards just dont feel natural, so I wemt back to the way my Daddy taught me to shoot, instinctively and it has never let me down.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If you practice alot a person can become very accurate with a long bow, no sights. When you shoot a long bow it becomes a series of instinctive motions from draw though to release, unlike a compound where you can draw and hold. You don't hold a long bow at draw, it must happen instictivly from start to finish, no time to sit there and think while holding a draw. it's almost like aiming before you have fully drawn, and releasing at the moment of full draw.

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Exactly Tom! Just focus on the spot you want to hit and let your brain do the rest. It's like throwing a baseball. You don't aim it you just look at where the strike zone is and let er rip. If you misjudge the yardage just a little bit with sights, it's a miss.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A little off topic, but I have found that when we shoot at the range for work that "instinctive" shooting helps out alot, both eyes on target two rounds center mass!

Aaron

TA2D

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Billie, you and I see "eye to eye" when it comes to the "Bow and Arrow".:smile2: One thing I did forget to mention too, was the difference in weight between the compound and my long bow. With the compound the thing is so heavy, you could always do arm curls to take a bit of the chill off the morning dew! :lol: LOL. Where as my longbow, I could carry it all day long and not have muscle spasms of my "pinkies"!!:big_smile:
    Robert; man I know how you feel! I had one of the old Browning Explorer II Recurvs that I just loved as a younger man. When our home caught fire from a lightening strike the flames got to the Bow!:angry: :sad2: :cry: :too_sad: I was so upset and yes, I actually did shed a few tears!! I went back to the store where I had orginally bought it and the store had been sold to someone else and all they carried was 4-Wheel compounds along with a couple of 2-Wheelers. The sales person had the audacity to tell me that Longbows and Recurves had gone the way of the caveman and would never come back again! Time has proved him WRONG!
    Ken; I'm glad you went back to instinctive!:smile2: Your not alone! I think for most of us that were taught/learned Archery with a Longbow or Recurve that try compounds out will either go back to the Traditional Archery Methods, or will have a difficult time getting used to the compound.
    Of course there are always exceptions, but I think that there is a lot of truth in what I've said.
    I too have hunted not only Whitetailed Deer, but Frogs, Fish, Carp, Squirrels; Fox and Grey, Rabbits, Turkey, and even went after Boar one time too! :smile2: I think, over the years, using the Longbow and Recurve, has allowed me to enjoy something of the feelings that some of my ancestors must have had when they too brought down game with the bow!
    Certainly they became "one with the bow" and shot instinctively as both Tom and Aaron have mentioned.
    I can honestly say that, for me at least, when you bring down Game with the Bow and Arrow, there is an "Inner Feeling" that cannot be readily described to those that have never even hunted with a bow!
    It is definitely a different experience than that experienced with other methods of hunting which is why I'm not sure that it could even be adequately explained to someone that has not ever hunted with a bow!
    I can say that my life is richer for it, and that I am a better person for having had the experienced, for which I am, and have always been, thankful.
    Have any of you other Archers experienced what I am talking about? Or am I lost in a dream world and blowing a bunch of hot ?
    What say you all? :smile2: I would really like to know?
    Thank You for reading this post and allowing me to share my experiences with you all.
    "May My Brothers and Sisters Always Walk In Peace"
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    No Coyote, you are not lost in a dream world.

I once slipped up on a swamp rabbit to about 25 steps. I concentrated on his eye, pushed the recurve to him and pulled the string to my cheek.

The arrow released itself without my thought. Slow motion kicked in and I watched it spin into a gray ball floating away in a gentle arch as I held my breath. The rabbit never flinched or kicked. The strike was dead on and he was mine in an instant.

I had an 8 point buck run up to me once when I was up in a climbing stand. The point of my arrow tracked him until he stopped at 9 steps. Without thought, the draw was made and the arrow went right through his heart. I could have shot him where fell at 15 steps.

Another time I was on the ground and an 8 point ran up to me to see what I was. I saw him coming and got the shaft on just as he slid to a halt 5 steps from me. I seem like forever but was probably only a few seconds that we faced each other eye to eye. He whirled and I drew.

I never released the arrow. It went on its own. Like something you would see in a Matrix movie, the arrow slid a long his side as he pivoted out of the way. It was soooooo cool!!!!

Unless someone has felt it, it is hard to explain the oneness I feel when I carry the recurve in the woods.

Robert

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Just watch Byran Furgusson. You can't argue with someone that shoots asprins out of the air! I'd like to see someone do that with a compound bow.
    I used to shoot with a few guys from work. We'd work all night and meet in the morning to shoot. A friend named Pete was kind of a Smart Alec and always bragging on his $250 compound. One morning while shooting at a deer target, he but me $20 I couldn't hit the deer between the eyes with my Bear recurve in 3 shots. Almost before the words were out of his mouth my arrow was sticking out of that deer....right between the eyes! That wasn't good enough for Pete, who said it was just luck doing it on the first shot. He walked the 30 yards to the target and stuck one of his brand new arrows in the ground and said, Double or nothing! I bet you can't hit that arrow." The first shot I cut his arrow in half three inches in front of the fletching. I still have that "Trophy Arrow" in my bow case. He never bet me again!
    That same year, I put him in a stand over a scrape where I knew a good buck was hanging out. He hunted it one evening and the next morning and came out all mad at me for giving him a bad spot. That evening I went to that stand and one hour later made a 5 yard shot on the big nine pointer while he had his back to me working the scrape. All Pete could say is, "Man, you're one lucky S.O.B.!" I said, "Pete, shut up and help me drag this deer to the truck!"

13. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I started shooting instinctive with a long bow in the 50's. In the 60's it was recurves but still instinctive. I went with compounds and sights in the 70's thru the 90's. Two years ago I went back to the long bow. Light and simple. Probably should have stayed there from the beginning....

14. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you gotta be freaking crazy to shoot without sights. i mean you could stick a deer and then it would run off and you would never find it and lose an arrow and then it would die slowly and painfully! dont do it without sights man!

15. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i know how you feel on that dream brother! it feels AWESOME!!!!!!!!

16. R Bishop

R Bishop New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went from a recurve to compound in the 70's and in 92 started shooting a longbow after an 3 week elk hunt in Colorado. I was shooting a Golden eagle with everything I could get on it, I remember that with a full quiver it weighed 8 1/2 pounds. That bow liked to killed me in those mountians. Just after I got home I was whitetail hunting and missed a 150 inch buck at 25 yards and knew I could miss with my longbow and it was alot lighter to carry. I've been hunting with a longbow ever since. The next 3 deer that I shot at were at 3, 7, and 10 yards from the bottom of my tree and I made perefect shots on all 3. I was Hooked.
    I have hunted all of my life and I love hunting with my stick. I havent owned a compound for well over 10 years, Nothing but tradational equipment. I do most of my hunting with a 59# Fox longbow and have killed all my deer with it for 10 years.
    There is just somthing about going into the woods with a piece of wood in your hand and not a machine. A bow with personality. What ever happened to the romance of the hunt, it seems that it is all about the kill anymore. I love chasing the biggest buck in the woods to, but I want to take him with my stick.
    People always ask me why I want to limit myself by hunting with tradational equipment when I only hunt monster bucks. It is somthing I cannot answer, you just have to experience it and you wont want to hunt any other way.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    My first bow was something else. Me and a friend from across the street decided to make our own when we were about 10. We made our own arrows as well and somehow they shot straight. I even remember taking squirrels and a couple rabbits. They wouldnt be strong enough for deer though.
    Ive since switched to compounds but Im thinking about getting a recurve.

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have a recurve and several compounds currently, but after all the good posts here I think i'm going to go back to the longbow again. I had a longbow way back when, but not now. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as good quality longbows are concerned? I'm not sure who makes good longbows these days? any suggestions are greatly apprecieted!

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've tried shooting that way and I don't do bad, but I don't trust myself to make a good clean kill shot. when I use my sights I'm comfortable to at least 35 yards. I'll keep my sights!

20. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Tyler;
    I agree with you about making that first shot a clean kill and using the equipment that you are most comfrontable with while doing so.
    I don't know if you are aware of this or not, and if you are, please excuse a silly "O' Canine" for wasting your time.
    But, did you know that there are several different brands and styles of sights that you can put on Longbows, Flat Bows, Recurves, and other styles of bows that are not of a "compound" nature?
    I thought I would mention this to you in case you were not aware of sights made for other bows besides compounds.
    I hope this is of use to you and that it helps.:smile2:
    "Walk In Peace"
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]