Instead of the James, I ended up at the Potomac and Rappahannock.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by cyrusthegreat, Oct 14, 2008.

1. cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat New Member

State:
    virginia
    So my vacation was cut short a little bit, but for those that replied to the previous post, it is much appreciated. Since the 301 bridge on the Rappahannock is only about an hour from Northern VA, I went there instead of the James. Nothing against the James (which I would have definitely preferred) but convenience is the name of the game when time is short.

There was a place called the Fish House that we went to last year to fish on the bridge, but we found that it was closed when we went there yesterday. We could still launch the boat, but there was no bait to be bought. Luckily I am becoming more proficient at tossing my 11 foot cast net. We were able to catch of 3-4 inch shad (not sure exactly what type) which were perfect for putting the whole fish on the hook.

We fished the whole night and caught a 10#, 19#, and 22#. But the worst part of the fishing were the gar. They have been terrible as of late. We were constantly changing bait that had been shredded after a gar bite. But catching a few big ones makes it worthwhile.

We left the Rappahannock at about 1000 and went to Pohick Bay on the Potomac. While the gar were not as bad, the grass and weeds in the river were terrible. Some parts of the River are not even fishable because the weeds cover the line so quickly.

We finally settled into a few good holes and we eventually landed a 17# and a 45#. So, for what ended up as 24 straight hours of fishing we caught 5 nice fish.

I'll probably go out again tomorrow and fish Pohick Bay.

As far as the pictures, however, I caught them on my cell phone. I'll figure out how to transfer the pics to the computer and build up a catfish portfolio like some of the others have:)

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Nice job Josh and welcome.

3. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    welcome Josh! well sometimes fishing is just the waiting game! congrats on your catch. Next time Jeff hollars for meet and greet, (hint, hint...Jeff):tounge_out: you should join us.

4. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats on the good fishing! Sounds like a lot of fun:smile2:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome. Thanx for the post. I will personaly vouch for the Potomac. Ya want some monsters. Hit it from november to march. :wink: