Instead of a keel shield could I...?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by crusinman2002, Aug 22, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    instead of a keel shield could i just use herculiner? it looks like it is just a plastic mixed with rubber, i would be puttin it on pretty thick and then sanding it smooth... would this protect my keel just as good, if not better, than a keel shield? i'm tryin to cover up a patch and protect the patch from wear when i beach the boat for loading/unloading and beachin to grill out or to camp... i'm plannin on doin plenty of campin this fall right on the lake, so i need to be able to beach the boat without having to worry bout damaging the patch... i think that it will work, but if it don't work then thats just junk that got put into the water and i don't want to put junk in the water.... so i just wanted to see if any one else thinks it will work, or see if anyone has tried it and if it worked for them

the boat is a 17 foot fiberglass fish and ski v-bottom

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why try to make a Keelshield?
    I have one I'll give you.:smile2:
    Its a great product.

The only thing I ask is that you submit a report with pictures to Bryan Shrum for a library article.

This isnt a BOC giveaway. I have one that needs a boat to go on.
    Its white and 8 feet long.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    mark, i appreaciate the offer, i was just tryin to see if my idea would work... i have lots of time to think about stuff while the boat isn't in the water... the main reason that i wanted to see if it would work, is cause the patch that i'm tryin to cover up and protect is nearly a foot and a half wide, if i were to use a keel sheild, i would need two of them to really protect the patch... earlier this year, i nailed something under the water and took a direct hit on the old patch, and before i know it i was getting swamped out, since then i have redone the patch and reinforced it with more fiberglass as it keeps wearing from beaching cause i refuse to tie up the dock at the ramp when i don't need to, and i've added a bigger bildge pump that is capable of pumping out more water than i can put in with a hose... lol

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you got a good patch it should be as strong as the rest of it or stronger.
    To put a really good patch on it you'll need to start from the inside of the hull.
    I know thats probally what you dont want to hear but its what it will take to fix it.
    Why dont we pull that rotten floor out and fix it all?

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    thats what i'm planning, i'm pulling all the carpet out today after work, and then friday morning i will be cuttin the center of the floor out, i'm goin to start with the center, cause thats where the rot is, and then see if i need to cut the rest of it out, but i'm tryin to avoid that, then i'm goin to epoxy the fresh edges right away to prevent anything gettin in there. once the epoxy is set, then i'm goin to see if i can access the area were the patch is, and i'll prolly sand off the patch that i got on there now so that the hole is exposed, and then its goin to get done the right way, which i have read up on and feel confident in doin.

my whole problem with the patch, was that it would wear down, whenever i'm out i'll end up beachin the boat a couple of times for loading and unloading of people, and when nature calls, i would rather hit the nearest shoreline and water a tree, which that happens a few times thru the night... lol... dang mountian dew goes right through ya... the patch was fine till i took the boat down to carolina beach, ended up beaching the boat many many times for loading and unloading of people, as they didn't all want to swim to the shore like i was tryin to get them to do... lol... although they were already soaked.

but anyways, i was just seein if the herculiner would possibly work, i know a keel sheild will, but i'm goin to have leftover herculiner from covering my floor, decks, the tops of the gunwales, consoles, and trailer... i'm getting 2 1/2 gallons to do it all, the boat itself will end up usin a gallon and the trailer about half a gallon, and another half a gallon just on me... lol... once i do the patch the right way instead of just a quick job, then i'm sure that i won't really have to worry bout it, just tryin to protect it for as long as possible.

i'm not goin to epoxy in the center section, it will be surrounded with epoxy, and i'm putting a lip under the floor and using silicon to seal it, and screws to hold it in place, that way if anything were to happen and i need to do the patch again, then i will be able to pull the center section out and put it back in when i'm done with ease.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Ken, you could do what a buddy from Kansas does when he goes out with his boat and ties up on shore. He checked around and found some old used conveyor belts about 32-36 inches wide and about 8 feet long. He just lays one end on the ground and unrolls the rest into the water and steps on it to sink it. Then drives his boat upon it. Ties off the boat and he's set. No damage whatsoever to the boat. He's been doing this for ages. No so much as a scratch on the bottom.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree about the do-it-yourself kits. Looks good for a couple of years but it is not very thick or scuff resistant at all.

9. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I agree with paul and wayne. the store bought stuff is not good at all. especially on something that will take some abuse.