Instant Anti-reverse...how important is it to you?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Dec 16, 2008.

How important is instant anti-reverse???

1. Very important

2. Doesn't really matter

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Just wondering how important it is to you for your reels to have instant anti-reverse.....

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i hate a reel that has that sloppy back play its realy help my hook ups sins iv got the ones now that are solid i still have a few with some back play but if i use theam i always make sher i pull it bake to is stopping point befor i sit it down

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I couldn't deal with a reel that does not have it . If I buy any reel it has to have it . When I set my line tight....I want it tight right then , I don't wanna play around spinning the spool until it locks.

I've lost fish because of reels spinning backwards and I've had my line snap because of it . The other time I hate no reverse bearing is when I'm done fishing and I put my hook on the eye or hook loop. Nothin worse than having to turn the spool by hand to tighten up your line.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    My opinion is that it is the first an foremost feature a reel needs to have. There is nothing more aggravating than trying to set the hook on a fish and the reel winds backward. One other thing too is that if the reel does not have instant anti reverse, 99% of the time the rest of the reel is junk.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gotta have it,I wouldn't buy a reel That didnt have it.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well its nice!

its a lot more important than alot of other things that they try to sell you on (# of bearings, line roller, etc).

but I can live without it (in fact I have); and its not as important as the durability. It is another thing on the reel than can malfunction when the reel is old.

A short amount of drag free give can be handy when trying to tempt, battle hardened, wise catfish (or carp).

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I wouldn't buy a reel without it. I wonder, with all the gadgets and tools that we have for fishing now, how did people even catch a fish 200 years ago.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post although I have several reels that do not have it.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    It is not important at all to me , I have some that are and some that are not. I don't find any difference catching fish with either.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's not that big of deal, it wasn't but in the last 2 years that the bigger Abu's had it, and as far as I know none of the Penn's have it. I've got Abu 9000's, Penn 310GTI's, Penn 220GTO's, and Newell 229-5's.... all of the reels that I use when targeting bigger fish that do not have instant anti-reverse.

Would I prefer to have instant anti-reverse? Yes, but it's a ways down on my list of things to look for. The 1-2 inches of back play has never been an issue while fishing, it's just annoying when trying to get the line tight in a hook keeper when packing up to go home.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you like getting your hands hurt its not impotent but if youve ever caught a big fish with the old reels that we had back in 40s and 50s it didnt take you long to find out why they called them thumb busters.greastest thing ever happen to me was finding the penn senators back in early 50s.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just to be clear that we are talking apples to apples...

1. Instant Anti-reverse - Reel has some type of clutch bearing that keeps the spool from turning backwards and feeding out any line at all.
    2. Anti-Reverse - Reel has some kind of pawl that engages within one turn of the spool, preventing the spool from turning backwards. Most reels have multiple pawls and will stop after an inch or two of line has been pulled.
    3. No Anti-Reverse - The spool and handle can forever spin backwards until you stop them. I'm not sure anybody makes these an more? If so, they are not common.

I think most of us are comparing #1 to #2, but some may be comparing to the 3rd type.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have both instant anti reverse and anti reverse reels. My ambassadeurs are instant, except for the older ones, and they like my penns have regular anti reverse. I like both. The regular anti reverse reels engage very quickly, so I dont really notice the difference when fishing. I couldn't imagine trying to fish with no anti reverse.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    anti-reverse: got to have
    instant anti-reverse: nice to have but dont care.

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Doesn't matter.
    Of course I'm from the old days.
    Braided dacron line on either the ocean city ot pfluger reel. Only had 2.
    My brother mostly used the ocean city and I used the pfluger.
    Use to practice casting. I could hit a hula hoop across the street in the neighbors yard 10 out of 10 times.
    Thumb works just fine as anti backlash.
    have a good one
    just

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The "type 3" that Gary referred to was direct drive...no drag, no freespool, no anti-reverse, just a clicker. The Penn 109 was the last of the old style reels, and even it had a drag, and what Penn called "modified freespool", which was really just selective anti-reverse. When you casted it, the handles spun.

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use Penns with "pretty quick" anti-reverse and like them just fine. My Baitrunner has "instant" and I like it too. I guess I don't see a real difference when fishing..

18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yes, #1 VS #2 is what I was referring to. I have no desire to fish a "knuckle buster", especially with a big blue cat in heavy current attached to the other end of the line!:wink:

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm spoiled with the instant anti. rev.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree,Oh yes,When you try tighten the line and it backs off,then you have to over tighten it which bends the rod, and thats a nono for transportion or storage,then you try another guide or re-tie:angry:

The gears slapping together on all them loose hook sets And while you are dragging in a big fish; back and forth over and over again surly cannot be good on them. I think thats why 60% or more of the gears tear out on reels that do not have the anti reverse.IMHO.

So yes I would rather have it on my reels ,Because I believe and trust in the gears too last as long as I do..:big_smile: