Instant anti-rev. reels better ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Dec 16, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are reels with instant or countinous anti-reverse as strong or stronger than the ones with the rachet style anti-rev that have some back play in the handle? How does instant anti-rev. work ? -Thanks

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Mike instant anti reverse is all I use any more as it dosen't allow the spool to turn on the hook set, which is a good thing when You are trying to cross the eyes and set that #8 hook in old mister catfish. I do however keep my reels in free spool with the bait clickers on for the initial run with my thumb on the spool till the rod loads up and am ready to set the hook on old Mr. whiskers. JMHO. J.D.
    :0a17:

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Mike I failed to answer one of Your Questions Sorry, Yes instant anti reverse reels are just as strong as any reels I believe never had any trouble with any of mine as long as I had the drag set properly. J.D.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Continuous anti-reverse has a uni-directional bearing in it. As far as strength, I haven't had one fail yet!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We use them for some real harsh saltwater fishing here with no problems, HTH, Elliot

6. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What about selectable instant anti-reverse ? I got a Zebco 888 Prostaff spincast reel for the kids to use and the instant anti-rev. can be turned off for backwards free spool.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The problem with turning off the anti-reverse on a small spool spin cast rig is you can get a big mess pretty quickly. I see that a lot with people who are new to fishing or don't fish much. They play with the reel, turn off the anti-reverse, and forget its off when they cast. With a spin cast, I don't see much reason to turn it off, there's not a lot of line on the reel and its not going to give the fish much room to run. If you have on bit enough to take out line, its better with a spin cast to just fight it with the rod and drag.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check out your schematics and the on line schematics for all types of reels.You will find that many if not most have the old standard ratchet backup to the "Instant anti-reverse".This keeps the "Instant anti-reverse"from shall we say "over jamming to the point of damage".A reel is a gear train.Instance stops are not good and should always be avoided if possible.The higher the speed,the tighter your drag,the worse it is on your reel.Instant reel destruction is not at all uncommon when when saltwater fishing for pelagic species that can approach speeds of 50 MPH with common or Star Drag type reels..Some are addressing the problem."Check out Okuma's SLG Speed Loc Pinion Gear System for one".As lever drag systems work much like a clutch on your auto,it is much easier on your gear train.Many casters who shortstop their cast by engaging their reels are putting enormous stress on them.It is a very destructive habit that some have.Some of this I learned by being hit with the shrapnel of name brand reels.The rest learned from attending every reel manufactures seminar that I got the chance to in my 61 years.Most of us do not use a rod,reel,or line correctly according to the people who make them.Also,the TV shows are some of the worst places to learn,per some of these manufactures.The pros are competing,and the heck with the abuse.They can and do throw away the abused so that it don;t break on the next show.It is all free for them.Also.The SHOW is as or more important as their primary job is to sell.Winning is secondary to their sponsors.Selling is # 1.I learned this from pros and manufactures representatives over the years.The best showman,not the best fisherman sells equipment.How many fishermen do you see "High Stick"a rod?Where did they learn it?How bad is it on your rod?How many fish has it cost them?How many rods does it sell when done on TV?Most of us who do it don;t know and could care less.Every one of us is our own pro.peewee-williams

9. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    I had the instant anti-reverse go out on a shimano corsair 400. I just replaced the one way bearing and it works fine. I will say that the reel got some heavy use before the anti-rev. went out. I would say the the older anti-reverse ratchet/dog type is stronger as some reels still have that as a backup.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use instant anti-reverse baitcasters, they are the best to use. u dont have to worry about the line unwinding when u is trying to set the hook.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i also thing the older styles are stronger, but i have yet to have any of my "instants" go out. i do own an abu that was one of their first out that had instant anti in it, and like all "first runs" with new engineering it has its problems. the "instant" is so sensitive that sometimes on a good run the clicker will cause it to engage. also when making long casts it will lock up as well. cant even begin to tell you how many times i have almost lost that reel! thankfully the other newer 5600 i have with instant anti in it hasnt given me those problems.