Installing Stereo speakers in my boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Grumper, May 12, 2007.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I installed a new stereo in a friend of mine's truck, and he give me his old stereo for doing it, and I put it in my boat. Question is, Does anybody have any idea where I can mount my speakers? I pretty much have an open jon with a console. The console is ruled out because I have rod holders on the side, and a storage locker up front with rod holders. I'd like to mount them in the front deck, but I don't have a hole saw that big, and I don't want to butcher up my boat any more than I have to. I just figured somebody here would have custom fabbed up something that works nice, and would like to share their idea.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you don't have an area to install them, just make some simple boxes for them. If ya go to radio shack, theres a book there that will tell you how big they need to be. You can also use "speaker insulation" to make a smaller box appear bigger.(sound wise)
    Hope this helps.

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Please keep in mind, most fishermen go to the lake to get away from listening to other peoples sterios. PEACE AND QUIET!

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I don't think the speakers I am installing are going to bother anybody at all. All they are, are two 5 1/4" speakers. Besides that, I mainly run the Mississippi river and all you hear are barges and trains anyway. There is no peace and quiet where I fish. I started this thread for some ideas, not to be critisized for listening to my radio queitly while fishing... Like a bumper sticker I once saw said,..."If it's too loud, you're to old!"... LMAO:lol: :lol:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think he meant that, quite the way you tool it, LOL!!! I think he meant that most fishermen like to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of everyday life (music being one of them). He wasn't saying you were going to disturb someone else, LOL!!!

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I understand what he meant, I just figured I would give him some crap about it..:big_smile: lol.. In my case, I love music as much as I love fishing. I had a radio in my last boat, and I loved to listen to it at night, especially while cruising down the river. To me, that is just relaxing as fishing. I don't plan on keeping the volume cranked up, just loud enough to hear it, because I don't want to create and sound vibrations that might scare off fish. Plus too, I will patch my weatherband radio into it, and maybe I can outrun a storm.. I have been caught in several over the past couple of years!:crazy:

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I went to walmart and for about 25$ I got a box for my jeep and just took out the crappy speakers it came with and put in the better ones. Did this for my Jeep and they have held up well and they get rained on.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Maybe, go with the front deck and instead of cutting, build a small box(s) and attach them to the front deck.

Don't expect that those speakers are very deep, should not take up too much room.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My Kayot Pontoon came with a stereo system with 4 speakers installed under the seats. I never had the thing on except while at the dock. The kids use it when they're here.
    I'm with primitive, I enjoy the peace and quite on the lake and this one is pretty quite except on weekends and holidays. And those are the days I don't get on the water. :cool2:

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I went to best buys and bought water proof patio speakers. They are in a metel box and have a tweeter and bass cone in each. When I turn them on I put them on my padded seats. That keeps the vibrations from passing thru my hull.
    Bill

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    How about those big honkin' things they put up on those arches on ski boats? The ones that go, "Thump, thump, thump, boom, boom, boom", and make whitecaps 2 miles away.

I really like those, 'cause they're up high, and in the open, where I can get a good, clean, heart/lung shot on 'em.:lol:

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'd go with boxes too before cutting holes that large in the deck. Unless you're not worried about ever selling the boat down the road. They'll probably sound better in boxes too.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We wont have to worry about that. This is a bunch of catfishermen you are talking to. Those speakers cost more then alot of cat boats.:big_smile:

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I guess it's who you fish with. when I go with buddy we talk to much, when I go with wife I turn it on.lol I have one in both boats, it's on most of the time, but we are able to talk with it on. Can't live without my radio but you'll never know it. For speaker sugestion I like the speaker box/deck speaker idea, then run wire jacks to front of boat. That way on the crowded trips you can unplug and leave at truck. I have a small "boom box" I take on pontoon, uses D battires and last a long time. when we beach the boat we can move it to beach or camp.