Installing Driftmaster Mounts

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by DJH1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can the flat driftmaster mounts be attached to the the gunnels on my boat using self-tapping metal screws??

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If that's the only way you can mount them, then yes. I would recomend drilling the mounting holes out, and using at least a #14 in the best grade you can find.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm "ass"uming you need access to the bottom side to install these?

Which I don't have.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You are "ass"uming wrong Doug! LMAO!!!!:smile2:

Pop them in a hole in the top, squeeze them tight and you have a solid, threaded anchor in less than a minute, and at less than $1.00 a piece. And yes they are as close to flush-mount as you can get, they will not inerfere with whatever is mounted to them.

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats Darryl for the info I am in the process of buying a V-Cat and was wondering the same and now I have a good idea what to do thanks again.

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats is Thanks Darryl

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If the rev nuts (threadserts) will hold my seat basses and anchor cleats in place. They are going to hold the hod holder bases. I even have them holding the bimini top to the rails on our deck boat. The factory installed screws loosened up and striped out. The rev nuts fixed that problem and have stayed tight. I did add a touch of blue lock tite to them to make sure they did not vibrate loose. Held in place all year. :big_smile:

Thanks
    David

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that will work but it always better if you can use a bolt and nut !

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You do have a nut. The nut-insert permanently mounts a nut in your mounting surface. Put a lockwasher on your bolt and it ain't going nowhere.

Try it or not........ they are the bomb!

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    What Darryl said.
    When you compress the threadsert it "mushrooms" out behind the opening and will not pull back through. Think of them for what they are. A large pop rivet with threads inside them for you bolts. Once the bolt is tightened the rev nut/threadsert isn't going to go anywhere. If they will hold my seat bases and support my big rear end, they are going to hold anything that gets on your rod. Think of the abuse a bimini top and a anchor cleat takes. They have help them in place on my other two boats. Plus $1 each is a lot cheaper than $50 an hour for an aluminum welder.:eek:oooh:
    Take a look at this link on making a home made way to compress them. http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html
    The pic I attached shows a rev nut compressed correctly. :big_smile:
    Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

12. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the great posts guys. I justed ordered the rivet nuts and tool to
    mount my rod holder bases with. Best idea ive heard in a while. Now what else can mount on my boat, Kitchen sink maybe:wink:.

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I just used the the other night to mount additional seat bases in my boat and they are going to be used to hold my large live well cover in place. As long as they are installed correctly (proper size hole) they are much stronger than your could imagine. "Kitchen Sink" there you go giving me ideas.:smile2::eek:oooh:

Thanks
    David