Installation of radio on boat...

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by G-Funk, Jul 25, 2006.

1. G-Funk

G-Funk New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just recently installed a radio on my boat. I have it hooked up to the battery in the front of the boat...I have it grounded to the boat..as well. I am having some issues attatching other things to the same battery when the radio is on the battery however. It seems to want to burn any additional wires up that i connect...it does that whole spark thing...so I take it off immediately. I know it has to be someting with the radio because I can hook up other things to it as long as the radio isn't on it. Thanks in advance for any help advice received.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    First off the radio should go trough a ground buss or grounding bar. I would unhook the radio and install a grounding bar and run one 10 gauge wire from the negative side of the battery to the grounding bar and ground everything on that bar. Don’t ground anything directly to the boat.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Bobpaul can tell you the best way but that is how I do all mine.

4. G-Funk

G-Funk New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the help Gator....I will switch it up tonight and try it out....

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Also install a fuse block for the positive side. Then you'll only have one wire to the battery + and one wire to batt-. It'll also be done the right way and never ground to your boat.