Installation advice for my Driftmasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by JPritch, Nov 6, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I got a pair of driftmaster rod holders, the Flatliner Pros (1/2" model), left and right threads, one for each side of my boat. I plan to install them in the "lip" of my gunnels on my fiberglass boat, which I'd say are about 1/2" thick. I read that if you can drill through and anchor them underneath, that is the preferred method, compared to installing a base that is only held in by three screws. 1) I want to confirm this is correct?

2) What do you all recommend for bolting these suckers down? I don't trust those wingnuts too much. Should I get heavy duty nuts, washers, etc....

I appreciate any help on this. I don't really have any clue on how to proceed.:eek:oooh:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Can you get to the under side of your gunnel's? If so drill through and use bolts with washes and lock nuts if possible. I always use stainless hardware and the largest diameter possible.
    I am not clear on what you mean by not trusting the wing nuts? Are you talking about the all anchors that look like wing nuts? Or the wing nuts on the driftmasters??:confused2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yep what Dave said. Make sure ya go all the way through and back it up with a plate of some sort.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks guys. Yes, I can get to the underside of my gunnels. So I need to drill a hole big enough to get the threads of my driftmasters through. Then on the underside use a washer/plate and tighten with a lock nut. Sounds good.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Just the bases-If they're mounted securely, there's no need to bolt the rod holder down itself.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If you don't want to remove them often that might work. I was talking about using the driftmaster mounts and bolting them to the gunnels. I am working on mounts for my boat right now but they are for the track system.
    What mounts do you have for your driftmasters? The three way star (three mounting holes) or the flat two screw hole mounts?
    Use the mounts for the holders, just use bolts, large washers (or backing plate) and nuts in the mounting holes.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would highly recommend Nylock nuts. These are the ones with a Nylon insert built into the nut that help keep the nut in place in applications that have a lot of vibration (like boats)

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I drilled the center hole and the mounting holes all the way thru on my fiberglass boat. I used 3" stainless bolts, nuts, and lock washers. On the bottom side I put 2" wood blocks under the bases and ran the bolts thru it all. The side of the boat will come off long before the holder does. lol. I see no need to replace the wing nut with anything. The wing nut gets ran up on the driftmaster itself. Then thread the holder into the base. Then screw the wing nut down tight onto the base. The wing nut just locks the holder from turning in the base. Hope this helps ya.