Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting LED light strips under the gunnels inside my boat for floor and area lighting to help keep my night vision and reduce bug issues. I am going to use a cement epoxy for countertops to adhere the 2.
What l am looking at is what color will be my best bet. I am familiar with red and green. But am wondering about blue? I have blue on my cat rack in back. Its OK. I am looking at a multicolor light strip but do not see any that are 12volt, just 110/120. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
956 Posts
Im doing this right now.

Blue is just under white light on the UV scale. That means it will attract more bugs than any other color but white. Red is at the other end of the spectrum. Im trying red. If im not satisfied im going to go with Amber.

Most people use silicone to hold the light strips in place. I imagine if you use epoxy it will be hard to replace the strip if it goes out or you want a different color.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking on the neon green. I have a green light for shooting hogs and it has amazing color brightness. And my buddy has some brush on contact cement he is going to give me to put the strips up. I will do a dry run and then permenat when l see what l want. I have a 8ft stand up mast l attached to my console with a LED flood light for deck lighting when needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldn't use green due to those are navigational colors. Red is best. Most of those strips have a sticky back you can stick down first and use silicone told hold it better.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,052 Posts
3m tape for car trim. Available at most auto or body shop supliers. Napa is one.

As stated before in another post. There are some 16 foot strips on ebay. 12v. The strips come with remotes and will change to color of your choise. Get several sets of them to hook together and as spares. Got less than 75 dolars wraped in mine and still got two rolls for spares.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put blue lights in my boat this year because the red ones were not bright enough, hope they don't attract bugs, we will see. If they work I will post back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to use contact cement my buddy is getting me. He uses it in his shop to hold countertops down. And even with green being a nav light, if any other boats are in the area of me, l will still have my other lights on to see me by.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
956 Posts
Ive seen boats with green lights under the gunnel. Unless your real close all you see is a green glow. There is no mistaking it for navigation light.

Reactions: SecondChance460

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the best tape 3m makes for lights on the my camper. I'm going to use cement/epoxy/glue to hold them up. I HATE fixing what l built once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts