Insect repellent

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by adamant, Jun 5, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    INSECT REPELLENTS ARE NOT LIKE THEY USE TO BE.. WENT TO THE WAL MART PICKED UP OFF WITH 75% DEET AND STILL GOT BIT UP.. NOTICED 12.5% DEET ALSO..
    WERE IS THE 100% DEET?
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE?

2. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi Adamant:

Mosquitos are (thankfully) not a big problem in this country so I don't have a first-hand answer to your question. However, I DO have a friend who served in the air force abroad in hot countries & he told me that he used to smear GIN on himself & the mossies wouldn't come anywhere NEAR him. He's not known to be a bu*******er, so give it a shot if you like.

If it don't work, you can always drown yer sorrows & you won't feel the bites, eh?

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines & Good Luck.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Its more than likely due to the fact you are such a sweet guy! LOL! I usually take a big crap in the corner of the boat and the bugs all bunch up there. LOL!

I like cutters. A good soakin on the hat and shirt collar usually does the trick. I also soak the bottoms of my pants and socks. A long sleeve shirt is a must.
    Ya also gotta take into the equasion that skeeters are the state bird of Joisey. LOL!

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    they have the 100% DEET at Wal-Mart out here. i will tell you it is not something you want to put on your skin though. it is something that you should put on your clothing. I think if you put it on your skin it might give you chemical burns or something. But i put it on the collars of my shirts and on my hats and it does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs off of me.

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    becareful with the deet i loaded up real good turkey huntin and i think i poisoned myself i got real sick feelin i thought i was gonna puke but the turkey killer that i am i sucked it up and i shot me a biggin yeeeehaaaa

6. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    My Dad ,Mother in law and several other family members swear by taking garlic pills to keep skeeters of of them. They have done diddly squat keeping them away from me though. You might want to try it maybe it works for some and not others.,

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I ran across a new product that I need to test then I'll let you know how it works. It's called Mosquito Patch-it contains the vitamin Thiamin B1 and it's supposed to repel flys and mosquitos for 36 hours. All natural and deet free.

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You may want to try mixing some vannila with a little water in a small spray bottle. It doesnt seem to work terribly long but it seems to keep the bugs away pretty well. I heard about it from some oldtimers and gave it a shot. The skeeters werent out at the time but it kept the buffalo knats and other bugs off pretty well. Also is more natural, it wont scare the fish so much if you happen to get the small on your bait. Good luck!

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    What works for us in south texas, is a product called "Don't Bite Me". It's made by a company called Drummond American. I don't know if they will sell it by the can but you can give them a call and find out. They do not sell this at the stores, you'll have to contact them and let them get you in touch with your local representative. www.drummondamerican.com
    1-866-837-9908. We buy it by the case and it usually last a couple years here at work and what the guys take home. I spray my pant legs when we're dove hunting and it works well on keeping chiggers/red bugs off also. Most their products are high priced but this is relatively cheap considering how good it works. Hope it helps.

10. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You want the bugs to stay away, get yourself a Thermacell.

I deer hunt in a waterfowl management area. In September, I have had to breath with my mouth closed to keep the bugs out. I got a thermacell...NO MORE SKEETERS!!

I went and bought a backup. I won't go out in the bugs either hunting or fishing without it! Best money I ever spent!!

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I use an Avon product called "Expedition", an they make a pump spray that also has a sun blocker in it. Makes it easy to apply on the hairy arms.
    Watch that stuff round yer glasses though.....turns cheap sunglasses into blindfolds. LOL

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is what I have done: I purchased some Permethein that you use only on your clothesNEVER PUT THIS ON THE SKIN AND NEVER WEAR YOUR CLOTHES AND SPRAY IT ON! This is advertized to have been used by our troops who are sent into the jungle. Also I have a deet spray but I just spray a little dab around ankles and wrist and on the neck. I also have a thermacell. I agree keepin the bugs off including ticks is the utmost of importance!! Knew a man that had west nile virus and it affected his immune system to where even a common head cold really made him feel sick so IMHO these skeeters ticks and bugs are nothing to joke about!:crazy:

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have to 2nd the thermacell. I bought one a couple weeks back and it makes a huge difference.

14. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    ok what is thermacell and where canit be purchased?i have some of the avon stuff and it's making a nice after dinner treat for them little buggers.

15. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    A thermacell is a small butane burning device that heats up a pad that is soaked in an insect repellant stuff that will cover a 15 foot diameter circle around you and keep bugs away.

They are around 20 bucks and you can get them at walmart or other similar stores.

Also just google thermacell and you can ge their website with more detail.

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Amen to that... I have used Thermacell both in the boat and on the bank... works for me..

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't be so Heavenly minded that you do no earthly good.

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Thermacell is the only way to go, night fish'n around here is miserable, even with bug spray that works, the ones fly'n around will drive you crazy, but since get'n a Themacell they stay away. Great product and no oily spray on you or your boat or your bait.

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I got a Therocell last year its the best thing out for them skeeters

19. twomorrows

twomorrows New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know mosquitoes can be pretty bad, but the worst thing I have ever had to deal with is buffalo gnats! Has anyone else on here had the pleasure of these things? We tried every kind of spray and nothing worked. The best thing we came across was avon's Skin So Soft with a lil vanilla in it, made it bareable.

20. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thermacell is the bomb. for skeeters u cant beat one, we have learned how to refill the butane cartridge, u pull the metal tab out puncture the bottle with a pin where the fitting is then whittle down the tip of the new butane bottle and so it will fit into the therma cartridge fill it up push the fitting back on and your ready to go, just remember NO SMOKING...