Insect Repellant WILL Explode

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Fishbit, May 5, 2008.

1. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a tip for another thing NOT to do.
    I used to carry a waterproof .50 cal ammo can in the boat. I carried tools, repair items, paperwork and such in it.
    I also stuck a can of bug spray in there, Off I think it was.
    One day I went in to the boat lot and there was a lid of a ammo can about 30 ft from the boat. It was bent up some.
    I went to the boat and found a very bent ammo box and a bunch of rusted and ruined stuff scattered about.
    The spary can had blown open the sealed ammo can.
    Conclusions:
    1. I wish I had been around to have heard it go off.
    2. I'm glad I wasn't in the boat when it did.
    3. I don't use spray bug stuff anymore, I use liquid.
    4. The liquid will also leak out and eat anything plastic, put it inside of 2 zip-lock bags.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    With the invention of the "Thermacell", bug sprays, lotions, or liquids are now a thing of the past. I highly recommend anyone who fishes, especially at night, to buy a Thermacell.
    BB in SC

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya sure it wasnt a present from the fishermen that fish for fish without scales?? LOL :eek:oooh:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Themacells are a GOD SEND when dealing with mosquitos. The only quirk, is the repellant is TOXIC to fish. I never have used one when fishing, but can definently say they do their job when hunting. I used one in Canada the last 2 years of bowhunting bears and I'm a firm believer in their effectiveness in repelling mosquitos and flies. I usually use a lotion bug repellant when fishing.

Thanks.
    Mark..

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you left it in the sun. Next time put it under something to keep it shaded. a can of pop will explode if left in a car in the sun. I know this by experience. lol.

6. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How is a ThermaCell toxic to fish, if you are using it on the river from a boat?

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Please excuse my ignorance, what is a thermacell?

Jaime

8. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is used by turkey and deer hunters. It is about 3inches wide and 9inches long. It has a bottle of propane like a Bic lighter and heats a pad of insect repellant about 2 inch by 2 inches and puts off less smoke than a cigarette. They DO work and mine is camo in color. Cabelas etc. all sell them.

9. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i used to live in upstate new york when we would fish had a old timer tell me go to the drug store and buy a bottle of save the baby it was used for whooping cough do not know if it is still made but worked very well and was cheap bobs bait

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, and you can get them at Wal-Mart too, about $25. I too want to know how the scent emitted by the thermacell can be toxic to the fish? Someone mentioned "smoke" from it, but if it smokes, it's certainly 99.9% invisible, and heck, I've never even smelled it.
    BB in SC

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    my wife sells avon so i use skin so soft. we fished 2 weeks ago at ozark arkansas. they were haveing a major hatch(infestation) of buffalo knats. i tried useing deep woods off and they swarmed me like there was no tomorrow. i dug around in my truck till i finally found SSS and the problem was solved.

12. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    - Wow, keeps insects away, plus gives you soft skin.. I like!! :smile2: