Insect repellant and flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    I WAS WONDER IF ANYONE THINKS GETTING INSECT REPELLANT ON HANDS AND THEN HANDLING BAIT AFFECTS GETTING HITS FROM FLATS,ALSO I TALKED TO SOMEONE THE OTHER DAY,THAT IS A DIVER AND HE WAS TELLING ME HERE IN AUGUST HE OBSERVE SEVERAL FLATHEADS IN RED RIVER VERTICAL JUST BELOW SURFACE JUST FLOATING AROUND HE DID NOT KNOW WHY.I THOUGHT MAYBE AT FIRST BAIT FISH COULD NOT RECONIZE THEM AS A THREAT (NOT BEING HORTZ. AND LOOKING LIKE A FISH,BUT THEN I TALK TO A OLDTIMER ABOUT IT I DID NOT TELL HIM WHAT MONTH HE SAID HE HAS SEEN THIS SOMETIMES BUT ONLY IN THE MONTH OF AUGUST SO WONDER WHATS UP WITH THAT BEHAVIOR

2. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I've never heard of the flatties floating like that but I do believe that insect repelant or anything like that with a strong odor will turn the fish away.

3. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Funny yall mention odor. I fished with my wife's cousin sat night. Looked around for something to wash the stinkbait with and he handed me a can of wd-40. Said he got the idea from an old bass fisherman who used it on his lures. It got the smell off my hands and we caught plenty of fish.

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    how deep and fast flowing is the river, sometimes they will do this and gulp air and water. usually happens from lack of oxygen. i am a real stickler with any thing like gas or repellant on my hands, i always bring plenty of SCENT-AWAY with me. i am a believer that they will not bite when you have unnatural odors on your hands.

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

Oh no I feel a debate coming on.:crazy::confused2::smile2::tounge_out:

6. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    DRAWOUT I HAVE HEARD THE SAMETHING FROM A BASS GUY THAT SPRAYS ALL HIS LURE WITH WD-40 BEFOREHE GOES FISHING HE SAYS THE REASON IT WORKS BECAUSE WD-40 HAS ALOT OF WHALE FAT IN IT WHICH TRIGGERS FISH DO'NT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT,AND THE BUGS ABOUT EAT ME ALIVE BUT I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE THAT IT WOULD HURT MY FISHING LIKE THE IDEA AGOUT SCENT AWAY

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It is nice to know i'm not the only one getting ate up alive because i refuse to use repellent. I guess we are just one crazy catfishin collective. :crazy:

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try it boys you won't go wrong...Plain old Ivory Bar Soap...I know a ton of old fisherman who use it to catch fish on trotlines...So if the fish will eat it then they surely don't mind the smell of it...I always have a bar on board and wet it and rub it in the same sand I am fishing in for a little extra washing ability...Pumice you know...give'er a try boys...it is fair price and smells ok when you are done...always use on your hands after spraying down with insect reppellent...

9. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you'll put a couple Bounty dryer sheets in your pockets, the skeeters won't bother ya.

10. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

i think non latex rubber gloves would be the trick, where them while putting repelent on. on for that matter where them every time you bait your hook. you can buy an entire box of non latex gloves at any pharmacy for under $5.00 then you got the best of both worlds, no bugs and no scent, but what i do instead of scent away is good ol dirt, yep rub a hand full of dirt in my hand just like a bar of soap,works great completly removes any smell. i use repellent while cat fishing and catch lots of fish, i would not be able to fish without bug repellent on my river, set up tree stands today and my buddy had like 75 mosquitos on his head net at one time, that kind of buzzing drives me insane i have to use repellent.

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I spray down with repellant before I leave the house. I use repellant (deep woods off) on the water if I need more, but I walk to whatever part of the boat will carry the overspray away from my bait/tackle and then I rub my hands well with antibacterial soap and rinse well in the water I'm fishing in. I handle alot of cutbait,shrimp,livers so I like to know I have the germs at a minimum too because I'm gonna have my bologna burgers and vienna sausages..LOL!!!!
    I also have tried the dryer sheets, you rub them on and then put them in your pockets. It works pretty well unless your in some serious bug country!
    WD40 has been used on trotlines and by bass fishers for years.. My uncle use to dip his trotline hooks in non detergent 30w motor oil for extra scent and he has caught TONS of cats in the TN river for most of his life! He quit a few years ago because of his concerns for pollution.

12. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    "If you want to be good at wadin for catfish, don't brush your teeth or wash your feet" Otis Toad Smith

Hope he is rippin them out in the big river/lake in the sky.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't believe odor bothers the fish. One of my fishin' buddies catches lots of fish--and if you were downwind of him you would share that opinion!

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the bugs are bothering you while fishing - or sitting in a tree stand - you need to get a Thermacell. I won't go catfishing without one! They not only keep the bugs from biting you, they keep them away altogether so they're not buzzing in your ears either! I do use a bit of bug spray, too, but just a little spray around my ankles and the back of my neck ... I always try to scrub my hands clean with river water after I apply sunscrean or bug spray to be safe.

The flatheads hanging vertical near the surface were probably oxygen deprived.

15. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I agree with jainsc. i like the idea of the thermo cell, im not familar with this catfishing technology i will have to investigate for next season.

my belief that is shared with many of the people(catfishermen) who i interact with, is that the more mosiqutios the better the action will be. that is roughly true. once the air temp drops low enough that the squitos find it difficult to fly then the flatting is usualy slowing down. .... as to how sensitive the smell, they are extreamly sensitive. whoever is designated to bait the lines should handle no bug spray, and ahh most importantly no wipeing(ah yeh!).. or at least y better have washed your hands real good or nothing will bite. that we have found true every time we dared to test the fish gods.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The WD-40 and soap can both work good in rivers. WD can be used on worm, it leaves a good scent trail. As far as the bug thing goes I dont go fishing till around 11pm. You wont see me out at sunset usually...thats feeding time. After that they are gone. In Fla you would see them about a foot over the water but they wont bit ya.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Thermacell is a lifesaver. They have a little scent pad that sits on a metal bracket. Inside goes a butane cartriddge. You light the thing and it produces just a tiny bit of heat to activate the scent pad and release the repellent. When there's a good breeze, it doesn't seem to work much, because the smell is blown away to quick, but when there's a good breeze the bugs are usually not bad anyway. Most nights on my small to medium rivers, the air is pretty much dead calm. I just set the Thermacell to the upwind side (there's no wind, but the air still sort of drifts one way or the other usually). It has a very light smell - you'd hardly notice it.

My buddy uses them for deer and turkey hunting. Can't get by without one.

By the way, if your local stores don't have them, Bass Pro and Cabelas carry them, and the refill sets (scent pads and butane cartridges).

Anyone that already uses them knows that they runout of the butane cartridges before the scent pads. What you may not know is that you can get the butane cartridges from walmart in the section with the hair dryers! They sell them for running butane hairdryers!

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Back to the original topic.

Roger, I would guess that the reason the flats are doing this is due to the normal low oxygen levels created by Oklahoma heat/drought in the red in August. I am guessing that this past August, your diver friend probably didn't see any like that due to the amount of water flow.

19. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thermacells work great and you dont have to smell like a pine tree's butt with all the bug spray on.

WD40 might work but it also pollutes the water.

20. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA

THANKS TONY I BELIEVE U ARE RIGHT ABOUT THESE VERTICAL FLATHEADS BECAUSE HE DID NOT GO THIS YEAR BECAUSE OF THE HIGH FLOW THIS SPOT HE IS TALKING ABOUT IS A COUPLE MILES DN FROM TEXAHOMA DAM AND IS ABOUT 30' DEEP LAST YR THEY WERE LETTING VRY LITTLE WATER OUT AND THIS YR HAD FLOOD GATES OPEN IN AUGUST