Inline or offset circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by harper81, Nov 7, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Has anyone noticed a hookup rate difference between inline and offset circle hooks? I prefer the offset, but I am not sure if its just a mental thing since I have no data to compare the two. I have some inline hooks, but I always buy more offset when I run out before I use the inline hooks.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have no proof, but I think most will say offset, most people offset their inlines. Hope this helps.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We tested the 8/0 gamakatsu's with straight eyes and the 8/0 octopus gamakatsu with the offset. I'm not sure why but we had more hookups with the offset eyes. We tied both with a palomar knot and baited them the same way. The only explination i could come to is the offset helped drive the point of the hook harder and faster turning it to make it grab onto something inside the mouth. As stated above it may be our imagination but it was fact for us that the offset eye made a difference for whatever reason and put more fish in the boat. I would say we had high 90's % wise on hookups with the offset eyes. The straight eyes that i have left i'm going to put in a vice and offset them as well.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I think the "offset" in question here is the point not the eye :wink:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If thats the case i wouldn't use a hook that didn't have an offset. Even the kahle hooks i use i bend them to where they have more of an offset than factory. In my opinion if your going to use a straight hook you might as well stick with J hooks.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Now see.. I'm of the opposite "camp"...

Personally, I don't feel any benefit from offsets, I haven't noticed any real advantage of them. Never noticed any real difference in "hook ups".

I don't know if there is any real "proof" one way or the other, but personal experience's weigh more than anything else... so if you feel they help, then they certainty do not hurt.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer the offset.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think their is too many vairables to actually have a "works best" because if the fish goes one way or the other the hook may end up in a different part of the mouth every time.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother's;
    The "debate" over hooks will be the topic of many a campfire for many, many, years to come!:wink:
    Ive read a LOT of Posts about this style of hook or that style of hook or this color for that water at that time of the year, ect, ect, ect!
    The truth of the matter is the hook that is the "best" is the one that works best for you when, and where, your fishing! Hook manufactures come out with "different" designs and all to "Hook" mainly the customer that is paying his, or her, hard earned money! And believe me, I have it on good authority from a friend of mine that works at Cabela's World Headquarters that it's the very same thing for at least half of the fishing lures if not more than half!!! :wink:
    I personally think, as I stated above, the hook that works best for you at the time your using it is the "Best" one to use. I would add that you should take a few seconds to make sure that whatever hook you use has a very SHARP/POINTED needle tip on it so it will penetrate that tough jaw/mouth tissue and hold long enough for you to land your fish!
    Other than that and the fact there there are several brands that make quality hooks is what I would push for the most. :big_smile:
    Oh yes! Have I ever got into one of those "Hook Discussions"? ... You betchure as* oops! uhhh, ... tail I have and might do so again if the opportunity presents itself someday or rather some evening/night!:smile2:
    Ya ALL Take Care and Stay SAFE!
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post and my 2 cents worth]]]]]

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't use circle hooks, personally, but every study I have seen (and that's several) says that the hook up rate is basically the same, but offset circles are much much more likely to hook deep.

11. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's a Loaded Question! It all come's down too the Individual. I Luv the Mustad Demon Circle 7/0 has an offset. Also like the Owner SSW. It's boil's down too what the your fishing 4 and size of bait 4 that day. Mine are alwayz in bank rod holders. With them Circle hook's Mr Whisker's does all the work 4 me.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have both the Gamakatsu 8/0 Circle and the 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle (offset). I have not noticed a difference in hook up. What I have noticed is a difference in the gap width with the offset able to hold a larger bait. I would guess that most "misses" would be due to the hook turning into the bait if not properly baited.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    That would be a very accurate guess Shawn...

As "someone" pointed out in another thread, you do have to match the hook to the bait size and then hook the bait properly for maximum efficiency with circle hooks. If you just stuff, or cram the bait on, filling the hook like you used to do with a gob of worms as a kid.. you'll lose a few fish.

14. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I prefer inline. Tried offsets found too many fish hooked sideways, in the eyes I think it depends on where you fish and how. keep yur line wet

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think its more preference then anything,i normally use offset but wouldnt have any problems using the other.I have just always used offset and if it aint broke dont fix it.