Inland empire local lakes reports

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 15, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    hey socal fisherman, here is a thread to report your fishing here in the IE

ill start off by telling you my luck with glen helen saturday

was third in line to get in so figured i could only choose one spot for the day since it gets packed, so i set up near the snack bar on the other side of the restrooms right in front of the bridge under the tree... got 1, 8lb cat right in the cove off a nightcrawler dipped in org hog wild withing the first 10 mins of casting...2nd was 15 mins later, 4lb cat off of shrimp with pink hogwild... lots of hits but no hook ups for hours, then 1.5 hours of closing caught a 2lb cat right under the bridge off another nightcrawler dipped in bowkers orig... so long day of fishing and 3 fish

happy fishing:big_smile:

2. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    sounds like a decent day atleast. thanks for the report!

Tight Lines!
    Sean

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    thanks man, how are things up north going? its been in the high 90s to 100s here

4. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the tips. I didn't know Hogwild came in different colors. Big B

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
  6. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca

I really have been doin alot of Bass fishin up here lately, its been really good. the Catfishin has been fair to me for the amount of time ive put in. i went out last week and managed a few in the 2lb range at one of my local sloughs near home.i usualy go out there to get the good eating size. i have been meaning to get out to the Delta where the hogs reside, just need to get back to work and get some gas/bait money. you ever try Lake Irvine? or Balboa? i am actualy from SoCal ive been up here for about 7 years now, man i miss it sometimes :sad2: but yeh i grew up in Santa Monica my family owns a few commercial fishing boats in Ventura and San Pedro off Terminal island thats my old stomping grounds as a kid working as a deck hand on many charter fishing boats, i miss that too :sad2:...anyways if you have'nt had a chance to hit Irvine you need to :wink:

Sean

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    havent been to irvine or corona yet, congrats on the good bass fishing up there, ive been meaning to go to dimond valley lake for sometime, i hear everything is hitting there and i mean everything, 2 lb cats are some good eating, might not be huge fillets but still good meat... what does your family fish for, are they charter boats, ill check into irvine, thanks for the info, if you have any hot spots you remember it would be helpful :wink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay monday i was called off work, so where do i end up, at the fishing hole, i just like fishing at glen helen, except today, plenty of nibbles, bites, you name it but no fish, didnt get there early like i should have, the frustrating thing is that i have all types of bait and some family fishing with line *in their hands* catches a decent sized cat, and with shrimp, anchovies, shad, nightcrawlers, and my share of dip baits didnt even get a fish, oh well, still enjoyed the weekday off work...better luck next time i guess

happy fishing

8. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    We used to own 3 Gillnet boats out of Ventura and 2 Dive boats out of Terminal Island, unfortunatly we sold everything and moved up here :angry:
    Both spots ive mentioned were my spots for decent Cats.Irvines lake record is in the 50s i believe not too sure though. i do know that 20lb fish come out of there alot. Yeh Diamond Valley from what my Mom was telling me and from the paper i get is mainly Bass fishing orientated, i see and hear of alot of guys getting Bass in the 10lb range using swim baits right after they stock the trout :wink: give it a try and make sure to get pics, i know your not to far away from there. My Mom lived in IE for a few years after my mom and dad seperated, Hot!! thats all she ever said in the summer.

Sean

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sean, I'm glad to hear you got out of the gill netting business. We need to stop this wholesale rape of the ocean any way possible. perhaps you having been there can shed some light on the mentality of that irresponsible practice. Is there something that drives people to do this besides greed?

10. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    well for me and my family is what a way to make a living and has been for many generations(since the 1800's), you can look at many commercial fisheries and say bad things. for me and my family we did it responsibly i can sit here and defend all day but i won't. i feel that draggers are the most irresponsible out of them all but we won't go there either :eek:oooh:its just a shame that we got a bad name. this subject is really a lost cause many can say that gill netters catch Seals and Dolphins but i will say that in the 19 years we never caught anything but fish and never took more then our 45's could take, that was our largest boat. again i can sit here and argue all day, but its just not worth it.

sorry to Hijack!!

11. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    went with my catfishing buddy robert who owns catfishing r us to quaill lake near valencia, the aquaduct runs right into it, so its all native fish, unlike most of the local lakes in the ie, i caught 6 fish all under 5 pounds, biggest was 3lbs, all on the same bait, you should try it, chicken livers with a teaspoon of crushed garlic, we fished off the little old service road near the parking lot, alllll the way at the end, looks like a pennsila, best fishing i have had yet as far as the fish in numbers, now i have to warn you if you plan on going night fishing here, and it is free, be prepaired for some wind, maaan did the wind blow hard, stuff was falling all over the place, anyways it was cool, robert didnt catch jack lol, we got there at 7 and he was out like a light at 11, serves him right for not keeping up on his bait changes lol, so there you have it, happy fishing ya'll

Mikey

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Mikey, I have fished the lake a time or two.... was there in Jan, and there was ice on the ground..... Did you get stripers, or were they cats.....

That place is free like you said, and it is a nice place to check out the shooting stars when they are at their several times a year....Did you get all the way back to the inflow area?

thanks for the post.... bayrunner ray

13. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Cats.Irvines lake record is in the 50s i believe not too sure though. i do know that 20lb fish come out of there alot.

The record is more like 89 lbs. Catmando caught it a few years back an dgot into the books. It has been bettered by another somewhere else with an over 90 lber.
    Lots of 20's come out regularly

14. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    yes the sky was bueatiful and clear, plenty of shooting stars, should bring a telescope next time :roll_eyes:, no stripers only cats, i heard they have several there though, we got there around 6 but didnt get the lines in till 7: 30, needed to offload some gear and other things, the wind was blowing toward the street so we set up to the right were the current was drifting from the mouth of the cannel, we were trying to find a spot to try, we were on the old broken service road, long stretch of pier i guess you could call it, the tide raises pretty good, had to move things 3xs a couple a feet at a time, i wannted to go over to the other side of the lake but decided to stay near the parking lot, aaalllooot of walking, so if you have alot of stuff, buy a mountain bike with a trailer, no cars or quads allowed on the dirt trails

thanks ray

15. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa

good answer, why does everyone have to whine and moan about the small stuff. i can think of way bigger things to debate about than that. my parents should be called rapist for growing to much corn in iowa. every season there is less and less topsoil and the fertilizer runs into the rivers as well.

16. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    where can i get that stuff you dip your bait in