Injured by a channel catfish!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hoggmaster, Aug 10, 2006.

1. hoggmaster

hoggmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    this is kinda a funny story, but it is kinda not.
    i took my to little cousins catfishing today.one is 10 and one is 8. well were setting there and my 10 year old cousin gets a bite and sets the hook. i am 10 feet away baiting my own hook and all of a sudden a scream was let out. i looked over and saw both of them hunched down and one of the bawling. i ran over there and here was an 8 inch channel cat sticking in the leg of anthony. evidently he pulled the cat from the water and it swung right towards his shin and one of the horns stuck in him like a dart...it went in pretty deep.
    after a little first aid he kept on fishing and ended up skunking me

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those little channels get you bad, real bad..Much worse than a bigger cat.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ouch...hope he`s okay.I would of probably cried like a baby:confused2:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ouch, are u is going to keep fishing LOL!

5. hoggmaster

hoggmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    his leg already started swelling up pretty bad....took him to the emergency room and got him an antibiotic shot....
    its pretty bad when a 10 year old beats you fishing....lol

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey brother, thanks for taking those kids fishing! Even with the pain of that fin in the shin, they will remember this outting for a very long time to come!

7. hoggmaster

hoggmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    even though taking youngsters fishing can be a daunting task...
    i loved every minute of it...one of them caught 6 (the one that got injured) and the younger of the two caught 5...all were channel cats and real small but they had a blast...as for me...didnt catch anything...a couple of runs on a big bluegill

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    At least the kids had fun, that's all that matters! I hope he turns out just fine though, and remembers that story and will be able to tell it for many years to come. I'm just waiting on my first encounter with a catfish sting, knock on wood!

9. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    My sister and brother-in-law took me fishing and I caught a channel cat 8 inches long. My brotherinlaw was bent over getting ready to set the hook on another one when my sister took the one i caught off the hook and it jumped out of her hand and stuck up in my brotherinlaws back. It was awful painful.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That sounds really painful. Hopefully that doesn't turn him off of catfishing!

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well, It must have been an initiation! Glad he's ok though!

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    did you rub the cats belly on the wound it works!! lol

13. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    ouch that hurts!!!!!

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ouch, that had to hurt. Small channel cats and bullheads have the sharpest dang horns. When they are little like that, the horns are like needles, as they get bigger, the horns are still sharp, but they are more broad and it takes a lot more to get horned.

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I always thought the little ones hurt the worst until I got horned by a bigger one. My buddy threw one that was around 6 pounds at the live well and it bounced off the lid and got me in the shin. WOW that really hurt. It was sore forever I guess that was the worst part.

ST

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those catfish fins really hurt so be careful!----------pk powell:crazy:

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Bless you brother spending the time with the kidsyes that hurts I steped on one when i was a boy

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sure glad you took the kids fishing after all they are the future of our sport. Hope he's ok. The first of the week my older brother got a fin from a small blue between the skin and the top of his finger nail and went up past the first knuckle, I guess he screamed like a little girl and I'm still laughing at him, after all he's 59 years old!!! He told me last night that we are fishing a tourny next weekend and I would have to bait his hook if his finger didn't stop hurting. WHAT A WUSS!!

19. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    At least hes a trooper to stick in there and keep fishing... I took my 9 yr old son with me about a month ago and he out fished me also...... funny how that always happens..lol

20. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    They do have fun when their small , if the fish are not bititng there are always frogs to catch and exploring to do.