Injured Blue Cat from Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tennessee blues, May 29, 2008.

1. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    My partner caught this cat on Lake Marion this past weekend. The fish hit cut herring and fought hard. It appeared perfectly healthy other than the obvious. Have any of you ever seen anything like this before? Any idea what may have caused it?

Shayne

Attached Files:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Shayne it looks like he picked the wrong BIG fish to pick on. I havent ever seen one that bad but I have seen there lips busted open pretty good but not to that extreme. Looks like he got the bad end of the deal either way. Maybe he tried to go through the turbines at the dam and fiqured out real quick that it wasnt a good idea.LOL J/K

3. tennessee blues

State:
    We were thinking something like that but hadn't considered the turbines......he was otherwise healthy and was released back into the lake.

4. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Might be trotline...they go nuts to free themselves and if its near a tree or right on one that can happen,

Curt

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'd say trotline inguries.It dont really look like territorial battle scares.

Possibly a desease too, but I would still put my money on trot line.

6. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Shayne,

Thanks for putting it online. I hope the rest of the trip went well, and you guys are ready for the weekend. See you soon...very soon. I also sent you a couple of emails, looking forward to hearing from you. Later

Bryan

7. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I'd have to say trotline too.

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like he might have got caught ondropline and twisted the line up to the limb, he miht have went crazy then it would haft to be pretty solid to mess his nose like that.he mustbe tough tobite a hool that soon after that. we ll never know just a guess. thanks Sam Davis

9. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You hook'em and they get infection. Huh ,had toothache lately?

bigger hooks, lesss mess

Mrwhiskr

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very interesting injury. It could be any number of things to include the most obvious being boat injury or been busy eating mussels.

It funny to me the way all of you jump on the trot line/limb line bashing bandwagon!

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yikes! I've never seen anything like that before. Maybe "ill fitting" dentures!:smile2: Shane, I don't think anyone was bashing limblines/trotlines, just speculating what could have caused it. And it's very possible; everyone knows how hard those blues will fight to get loose!

12. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I think most of us are just responding to the request for possible causes, not bashing any particular way of fishing. I can't speak for everybody, but I know that's my intent.

I have seen fish taken off trotlines with similar injuries, so it is a possibility. That's not a statement against using trotlines.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    "That is a very interesting injury. It could be any number of things to include the most obvious being boat injury or been busy eating mussels.

It funny to me the way all of you jump on the trot line/limb line bashing bandwagon!"

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: He must have tried to eat the prop while it was turnin if it was a boat injury.Or ate mussells out from between saltwater barnicals or oyster beds.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

To add to the bashing comment.Nobody here has said anything bad about trotlines.I'm a little confused by that comment.

The SC section is normally calm, cool and collective.Pretty much all of us eat, drink and fish together even some from NC and Georgia.We all get along good but here lately all kind of uncalled for comments like that one has interupted things some.

I try to reframe from postin and I do most of the time but come on now.Nobody was bashing in this post but you Bo.

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I was thinking along the same lines.

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Which posts are bashing trotlines? Someone asked a question about an injury to a fish and what might have caused and some opinions to what might have caused it were expressed. It could have been what you said.

I have seen fish that come out of baskets that have a very similar injury to.

16. tennessee blues

State:
    There is no trotline bashing going on here so let's not even go down that road. I'm surprised that a fellow Tennessean from the Cumberland River would suggest that we are bashing the trotliners. Hilljack is a good man, I think he just misunderstood the purpose of the post (figuring out how the fish got injured).

Shayne

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have saw a few busted up like that but not that bad and it always seems to be this time of yr. could he had been trying to build a bed on a gravel area or do they do that with their tales?

18. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have seen cats that feed around the dam that looks like this.They do go in hard against those rocks to catch their food.Just maybe this 1 hard a tough time of it.But I have seen worse than this on big mudcats and blues.

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT LOOK'S LIKE AN INFECTION FROM BEING HOOKED I WOULD THINK IF IT HAD BEEN A TROTLINE IT WOULD BEEN RIPPIED OPEN AND THAT IT DID NOT LOOK THAT WAY

20. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I'd guess he tore off of a trotline hook.

The ripped flesh around the left corner of his mouth probably became infected and proceeded to eat away at his entire upper lip.

I caught a 40lb blue several years ago on lake marion that had a similar looking injury except his lip was completely heeled over.