Injecting Nightcrawlers with air for catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Chance, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    Anyone do this so they will float off the bottom ,ive seen an article about injecting them with air so they will float off the bottom

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I have never done it but
    i have heard of this, but i think it would take like 2 or more worms FULL of air to float a good sized hook but id think if u were fishing a smaller hook it would work

but if u think it would keep the worms off the bottom it might work better, than with out the air because the catfish might be able to find the bait easir
    but i usually dont use worms

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I inject air in them for bass fishing over weedbeds to hold them right above the weeds and it makes them a little more lively but I've never tried it for catfish. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I've never tried that for catfish but I do it for trout in the winter all the time.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    wouldn't feedin them bean meal work?:eek:oooh:
    just a thought:lol:

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    that always gets me floating....lol

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    never heard of air
    in lima theres a bait shop that has some gloiing die
    that works

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i just bought a book called "catfishing: beyond the basics" by Keith Sutton and he refers to this technique as a great way to present worms to cats. i would like to try it but have no idea how i would go about putting air into the worms

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does Kansas have trout during the winter? I am in NC, but I go to KS every summer and winter. I mostly hunt yotes during the winter there.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think they do it with shot needle, I never did it but heard fishermen doing it. I would think if you over did it, it might get a little messy.:bad_smelly:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do it. It works.

12. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
  13. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    it wors great for channels with there over bite its easier for them to get the bait..

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This technique pretty much originated with walleye fishermen and is still used extensively.We used the inflated worm with floating jigheads behind a slip sinker.I think you can still get the needle from cabelas although the idea was to get the worms up off the bottom so the walleyes could strike them easier as they aren't botom feeders as much as catfish.I don't think the effort is worth the trouble for cats unless you would be drift fishing.Cant hurt to try it though:smile2:

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have done it several times in the past and not sure if it helps or not..seems to though...I bought what I needed at Farm Impliment store..you just got to watch for bubbles.....if your sitting there and her burrrrup..followed by a smelly bubble...yep, that was your worm..bring him up and shoot him again!:big_smile:

16. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Some fishing shops have a little plastic bottle (empty) with a pointy injector coming out of the top to inject the worm. You stick it in the worm, and squeeze the bottle. I saw one the other day at a Gander Mountain shop. Won't the worm deflate as soon as you stick him with the hook?

17. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    You can use a insulin syringe. works well.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

i agree with you it sounds like it could get messy. I just put a small bobber on my line between the weight and hook to keep my bait off of the bottom either drifting are bank fishing works great for me. they make a hook also I thinks its called a "stand out" I haven't tried it on catfish but it works well for bream and b***.

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have never been able to keep enough air in the worm to do much good.
    tried shooting ends ,middle . Maybe I did it wrong. Seems easy though.

20. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

It's a simple device. They are common at fishin stores out in the western US. I would imagine you could buy one very easily on the net. the one i have is a small plastic bottle, with a 20 or so gauge hypodermic needle attacted to the lid. If you have a friend or know someone that can help you out, a regular needle that medical personnel use to give shots will do the same thing.

You hold the worm, stick the needle in and inject air. It keeps the worm up off the very bottom of the body of water and makes it easier to find for the fish you are goin after.

cyas
    rc