ingots

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by bobs bait, Jan 8, 2010.

1. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i have alot of lead wanted to melt it down so what can i por it ito to be able to put it in my pot which is not real large thanks bobs bait

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    if you have a lee pot i use a cup cake pan when I melt my wheel weights and stuff down. The cup size ingots weigh around 2 lbs and fill right in there

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think the best way to do it is buy a ingot mold from lee or do-it...but that expensive..I use little stainless steel condament cups i got at walmart for 4 for $0.97

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Check out garage sales for a cast iron corn bread stick pan, makes a great ingot for the Lee pot. They melt faster than the round ingots.

5. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks guys went to wall world today bought a min muffin pan for 5 bucks while i was working on my truck heated up what was in the pot and pored 9 sunday will start melting down some lead if anybody wants wheel weights i think i can get all i want as i work a bunch of tire shops in nc bobs bait

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL!!!! I'll take some but I am in Missouri, how can I get 'em and whats the price?????

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I would takem too but im in iowa:(

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    check out the flat rate boxes from the US Post Office. I think you can send upto around 26 lbs in one for a flat rate. i could be wrong though. i think they are about $11 or $12 a piece.

9. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    i'm interested in some how much do you want ?

10. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey guys will start hitting up my places to see what i can come up with and try to check on shipping give me a week then send me a message will see what i can do

11. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa

A medium flat rat box weight limit is 70#. :star::soldier:

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A bigger cupcake tin works better. The lead will solidify and stick to the first ones you pour by the time your done filling all of them. Especially in the mini muffin tins. Making them very hard to remove. I finish filling them and then heat them evenly with a torch (oxy-acetylene) till they're all molten. Then I shut the torch off and wait for them to begin setting up. I jiggle the pan periodically till the lead doesn't slosh around, wait about 10-15 seconds after that and turn the pan over. They'll all come out and you wont be ruining your pan beating them out. I used to turn my pan over and heat the bottom of it until they dropped out. But, it's too easy to burn a hole in your pan. and the next pour will get messy. I can turn out hundreds of pounds of lead like this in a couple hours.

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The long-skinny things will fit in a small pot.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sometimes I cut the top off a pop can or beer can and make a heavy ingot, I got a cupcake pan, but the lead stuck to it so I haven't used it for that again. I have a small hot pot II, so I pour into a cast iron ladel or a dipper. That makes ingots that fit into my pot too.

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    If the lead sticks to your cup cake pan, just lightly spray them with some cooking spray before pouring the lead into them. This will release the lead easily. I use cup cake pans to make my ingots, either the regular or mini size. It just depends on which lead pot, I will be using them in.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Read my above post about ingots sticking to the pan. If they're sticking no amount of wax, grease, oil or no-stick spray will help. They're cooling too much. It's all about timing. I never use any oils of any kind. I just flip the pan over at the right time and they come right out...