Information

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BIG GEORGE, Sep 19, 2005.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We all wanna catch that state or world record catfish,its why we live. LOL! I'm a big catch and release fisherman for various reasons and kinda get a bit edgey when I see pics of a big old hog that wasn't released. But,thats my problem. Lets get to the point of this thread. Arm yourself with information when ya go out cattin. Know the state records for the 3 main species of cats for the state ya are fishin in. Make yourself aware of the process of reporting a new state record. Such as,who must I contact,where do I take it to be verified and phone numbers. This way you will know exactly what ya gotta do to get the process rollin and get the recognition that ya deserve. Information is a good weapon. When armed with it the obstacles are few.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    george, thats one thing about Nc I don't like. the fish has to be killed to be certified.
    They want to dissect it to make sure It wasn't shoved full of sinkers I guess.
    Kinda defeats the purpose if I CPR don't it?
    (which I do, also my choice)
    Good post bro!

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    George that is a good post brother thanks for the insite

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that would sure help spare a say 4#shy of a world record from being killed only to fall short.

ive looked throught the records from illinois so often that 78# just has stuck there (flathead). also it was caught at the lake we have our. gathering at. :glare: maybe thats why we have it there. lol.

never thought of having a # to call but i always carry my phone for emergencies. good thing for 411.

well i am from the state wich will or already has the new world record blue caught from mississippi river. im sure we all know that it unfortunatly died in transport to cabelas. do we need to display them? hopfully that will stick in the minds as some good info if another one is caught. weigh it and put it back into is habitat. ain't that what reproductions are for?

and ya if your fishing for big fish on a regular bassis. makes sense.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just refreshin this one for some thoughts. LOL!

6. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From what I know, they dont have a record for channel cat cause the previous record was taken off cause alot of experience fisherman complained and the channel was ruled as a flathead. How can you mistake that? Oh well, Record is up for grabs in NC and I'm gonna take it on McAlpine Creek. :big_smile:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good post George that would be good info to know.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm in your group.. I don't worry about a record, if I catch a fish that's a record for me. :eek:oooh:

But Big George is making a good point for the pros.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Well I appreciate the info! You can bet if I catch a record, I will milk it for all it's worth for myself and the B.O.C. It be pretty cool if members start getting records from various states!

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hrmm, I must admint, I don't know who call or where to go..
    Guess I need to do a little research...

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks for the reminder on the information... having just moved I think it is time to explore what I am up against in Illinois...

12. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Nice refresher post BG. I recently contacted our DNR about the process of handling record fish, and my desire to release said catch if it was ever possible. Since these events only occur when Hailey's comet comes through, he informed me that if they weren't too busy he would make the effort to come down and identify the fish. Your information is valuable in the sense that ANYBODY could find themselves in this situation. More than likely it will probably happen sometime around O' dark thirty when all the fishing biologists are catching Z's. What do you do? Here you get a certified weight immediately after landing the fish, so that you don't get caught up in the anxiety of the fish losing weight. That can be pretty tricky in the middle of the night, so it really comes down to making a hard choice. Do you kill in order to get the feather, or simply get a weight on your own scale and live with the fact that you broke the record unofficially?

For someone that doesn't have the flexibility to hang around throughout the process the unofficial option might be the only way to go to keep the fish alive. Maybe the planets could be in line and it happen for you first thing in the morning, so you could spend the rest of your fishing trip certifying the fish. LOL. Yeah, what is the likelihood for that happening...great heads up post George...of course this has happened to a couple of members here already...

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Great Post! I went ahead and put all the states Outdoor dep.s I frequent into my phone and wrote down all the records for the fish I go for. Thanx a bunch - i probably never would have done that without your tip bro.

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Great post BG! I'll be sure to do some research as to be better prepaired if this happens.

15. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    George, very good reminder. Talking about being upset seeing a big hog killed, our state is running shock boats trying to clean them out of the Altamaha river here in Georgia. The results from two days in one area is unreal! Go to Georgia DNR and follow the links. Good fishing, Jack.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good post George. I do keep that info in my tackle box but only recently started doing this.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Myself I'm not really worried about a record. Probably more headaches than it's worth. Shucks I'm lucky to catch a small fish let alone a record. However thanks for the post George. Very good information.