information on flatheads

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman1982, Mar 28, 2009.

1. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    would anyone mind giving me some advice on catching flatheads this time on year? if so it would be appreciated

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    what lake or river you plan on fishing ???

3. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    on the osage arm of the lake around the 50 mm

4. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    i was also wonderin if anyone thought it would be worth it to go try and catch a few cats down where the creeks are runnin in today

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary. There is a ton of great people on here willing to share info with ya. Scott will lead you in the right direction. Good luck.

Tom

6. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    thanks MO this seems like a good place to get good advice i look forward to learning from you guys

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Gary wish I could help you more. But there are a lot of people that can help you more with the flatheads than me.

Tom

9. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
  10. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    with the cold water temps in the main channel still the creeks would be the best bet .. or some good structure of some kind and fish tight to it ,, graph some deep holes and fish the ones with structure if ya fish in the channel ,, and also rocky bluffs .

the best flathead fishin is when water temps get over 60 i know of a few that have been caught so far in the last couple weeks so it can happen ...

11. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    thanks man think im gonna go brave the cold and try to get a few (blues and channels) where that creeks runnin

12. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    hey scotty what do flattied bite on?and where can i fish for them ?all info will b appriciated

13. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    flatheads are a predator like a bass they will eat anything that swims

carp,, bluegills ,,perch,,shad ,,crappie,,bullheads,, leaches,,worms ect ect .
    they also will eat cut bait of all the above .

think of flathead fishin like bass fishin structure, structure, as in logs,boulders,ditches,cutouts, creek mouths, standing timber, islands ect.

never be afraid to fish close to a bank even in 2 foot of water if the bait fish are around the flats will be also .

they tend to move at night and roam around for a meal .

durring the day they tend to hold up tight to cover and structure waiting for a meal to swim to them .

when flathead fishin use several rods covering different depths of water have some on bottom and then have some suspended using a float rig .

each lake or river you fish will have key areas flatheads do not travel very far the have a home area .

get a good map of the lake or river your wanting to fish and take time looking at it and find key areas as above ,, try to think of it this way only 10 % of the lake holds fish this will help you to find the best areas before you even get in the boat and less time wasted on the water wondering what a good spot would be .

there is so much more i could type but this will get you started . look at the flathead section and you will read tons of info others and myself have posted .

flathead fishin is like killing a 12 point buck its not gonna happen everytime but very satisfing when it does !!!!!
    it takes time learning the patterns and key areas for flatheads ,, so dont give up each time you go out you will learn sumthing and get better !!!:wink::wink:\

good luck guys and gals

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmmmm this time of year its hit and miss for them on the Mo river. I dont start fishen for flatts til late April. Water temp has a lot to do with it. When the water hits 58deg in your area then give it a try. You might try some slow water along a rock bank on a sunny day. And look for sand or pea gravel bottoms where ya fish.

15. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    hey welder, what about big blues right now should i be fishing deep holes or shallow coves where the water is starting to warm up a little i havent done much fishing this time of year

16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A lot of em get blues shallow out on the flats right next to the channel. But there are patterns for deep water fishen for them on the rivers still. Ya just gota read on the blue forum or just start another post. These guys can give ya lot of info.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC!!!