Information on Drifting a boat

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Boogan1, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    I am just getting into fishing from a boat, I see the thread about drift socks, how do you drift the boat? How do you get it to go sideways? My boat is an 18' bass boat. Any suggestions? Is there a thread or article anywhere on this? Thanks, Boog

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Try a 5 gal bucket off the bow and one off the stern to side drift. Or try one bucket off the middle of the boat.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm an expert at drifting boats.;) The best way is to launch it without a rope on it securing it to the trailer.Then you can watch it drift and drift and drift.!!!!!Go to the library for lots of real drifting info but essentially it is using the wind for power.Simply turn the boat sideways or bow into the wind.Put your drift socks over the side or rear,and adjust for speed.Go to www.driftbag.com for lots of info on drifting and socks.Bass boats are not the best platform for lake drifting if the wind is high enough to cause waves of any size,but they work just fine in a river or current situation.:)

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think most boats will tend to drift broadside to the wind if you don't do anything at all -- when you get to where you're ready to start drifting, slow the boat and turn it sideways to the wind. The rest should be automatic. You might need to drop your trolling motor on the front to equal the drag from the engine in the rear, or raise the engine.

You can get away without a drift sock for quite a while - I caught plenty of fish last fall while learning to drift and didn't have a sock.

There are lots and lots of articles here that cover various aspects of drifting - search the library and the forums and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know.

One thing though while you're browsing articles -- some folks drift in rivers and some drift on lakes, and they're not really the same thing. Many of the articles you'll find here don't really distinguish which kind of water they're talking about so you have to read quite a bit to figure it out.

The great thing about drifting is that you can cover a lot more ground than still fishing, which is great if you're like me and don't really know how to pick a great spot to anchor and fish. I'm trying to learn, but it's sure a lot easier to drift over a 1/2 mile or 1 mile area and find the fish that way.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Drifting is the thing I do the most while rod&reel fishing. I am usualy on a river when I drift. I usually watch the wind and current. If the wind is blowing down the river and the current is not very strong I will go up river and drift back down and the wind usually keeps me going in whatever direction I have the boat in because my boat sets really high in the water and the wind pushes more than the current. I dont expect to keep it that way all the time so I might have to tap on the trolling motor.
    :0a26: