Information about ways to use Bluegills as Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by back channel, Jan 8, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This upcomming season I will be using bluegill as bait for the first time. I will be fishing from the shore using the normal big cat equipment.
    Hwoever, since this will be the first with bluegills I am wondering how many I should bring? The bluegills will be between 3 and 5 inches long. :confused:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    at least 2 dozen, maybe more once you find out how good the area is.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hi back channel, welcome to the B.O.C. :0a25: It depends on how long you plan on fishing but when I go on an all nighter I like to have at least 2 dozen gills with me. I've gone through that many on a good night. Nothing worse than running out of bait when the fish are biting. Remember that Channel Cats will hit gills also not just Flatties. I'm attaching a photo of a Channel Cat I caught this past year that still has the tail of the gill hanging out of his mouth.

Attached Files:

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I usually take about 30 or more if I have 3 people fishing with me.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bluegills make excellent bait for all species of cats as long as they are of a size that the cat can swallow them. This past spring I was in a tourney where a sixty pound blue was caught on a live gill. Vern

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    'Gills work good for flatties! But don't think that they have to be fished live. Split your rods half and half, cut and live. Then determine what the fish prefer on that body of water, or even just that night. My lake experience has shown a preference toward cut 'gills over live. 7 fish to 1. And my best, a 42 pounder, came from a 'gill head that was only two or three inches long, and the smallest flatty I've ever seen caught on rod and reel, was caught on a live gill in the NE Cape Fear on a gill that was almost 6" long, and the fish was a whopping 11" long!!! :eek:

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hey guys, thanks for the responses. :)

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Make sure you don't try and put to much live bait in your bucket, livewell or whatever the bluegill are gonna be in. I have had bluegill live a long time on a hook. Try diefferent baits till you start catching cats. Also I usualy will hook them through the nose.

9. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never fished with bluegill before. How do you hook them (both live and cut bait)?

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Jaroddog you can hook them through the nose , the mouth and behind their dorsal fin. As cut bait , cut them into three parts, head , middle and tail section. Hook the head in the mouth, nose or corner in the head. The other sections hokk through a corner, I like to get the hook between a bone, helps hold onto the hook, make sure the hook is showing. Also try the guts on a hook, good bait.

11. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    jaroddog , It depends if you have current or not. If you have current (a lot) then hook your gills through the lips or eyes, if you hook them through the eyes, try and run the hook just above the eyes and under the bone. If your fishing a lake then you can hook them just behind the dorsal fin. Be sure and don't run your hook through the spine or you will kill them and don't throw them away when there dead. cut them up, flatties also like fresh cut bait. If your fishing cover be sure and watch your leader length because, a gill will try and run for cover and hang you up. Hope this helps...

12. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you rig them for bottom fishing? With a weight?

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use a 2 oz slip sinker to hold them down. I don't use a leader but don't let the sinker come all the way down to the hook. What I do is use a small piece of leather strip about an inch long and tie it on the line where I want the sinker to stop. It takes a special knot to tie the leather piece on the line to keep it from moving, can't remember the name of it.

14. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Jaroddog, You can use either a three way or carolina rig. If you use a carolina rig, put a swivel at the end of your mainline and then put a leader on the other end. Length depends on what kind of cover your fishing. The longer your leader the more room your gill has to run around, so if fishing heavy cover use a shorter leader, open water you can use a longer leader.What size weight you use depends on the current, you want to use the smallest you can and still be able to hold your bait in place...

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I tend to hook mine (4-6") on a single hook (my fav's are a size 1 made by eagle claw but i don't remember the name and need to get more of them) and toss them out free lined, but i know alot of times that just doesn't work or it leads to bass being caught... Umm when i'm fishing w/ a weight i tend to hook the bluegills just infront of their anal fin... i feel this lets them sit up right alot easier though now that i think about it, forcing them to stay upright would make more commotion for the fish to hear/feel...

When i go out i usually have as many as i can sustain in my 5 gal bucket... or now that i have it a floating livewell for when im on a dock, boat or pier. That means anywhere from 5 to over 2 dozen depending on size, temp and how fast i can get them from my bait spot to the place i go fishing at...

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Catfishhunter gave you some good advice, another thing Judy and I do is scrape a few scales off one side to release some amino acids into the water. Our favorite way to hook the bait is through the eyes with a 7/0 or 10/0 Kahle hook on a three way swivel. It works for us.

17. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Tim, something else you can use is a heavy rubber band. I use them on my skipjack gut pockets and I run the hook down the center of the guts and bring the hook out just below the rubber band. I think the rubber band makes it a little harder for the fish to steal your bait...

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm fishing right on the bottom, and I want the 'gill to swim up away from the bottom, I hook it between the anal fin and the bottom of the tailfin. That exerts a little downward pull on the tail, making it easier for the baitfish to swim up, rather than down.