Info Please

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catnipmn, Apr 7, 2008.

1. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Looking for some info in advance. Coming down to give the missouri a go in August but haven't checked anything out yet. Is there boat landings near KC or where could I find one. Bait shops or do you catch your own? Places to stay that you may recommend? Thanks in advance

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    There's four or five ramps in the KC metro area-I've attached a link to Marty Tippin's map to the ramps. As far as bait, you can normally catch your own in some of the feeder creeks coming into the MO or the KAW providing we don't have low water or high water or...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54846

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Doug's right on, there are a few ramps in downtown KC and a lot in the surrounding areas. Marty's map is a good one and as the time gets closer post up and we can get you some "ramp reports" as well.

Below is a link to the National Weather Service forecast site that shows all the sites from St. Joseph down to Waverly that I use to keep an eye on river conditions. The predictions aren't the most accurate, but the historical stuff gives you a good idea of where she's heading.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/river...aph&data[]=sitemap&submit=Make+my+River+Page!

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sometimes getting bait is best done in higher water.

5. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thank You for all the info! That will help.

6. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thank You for all the info! I will post when the date gets closer for the ramp reports.

7. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    One last thing what would you recommend fishing up river or down from the KC area? I don't keep anything just CPR so looking for deeper water if possible. Anything will help so thanks in advance!

Tom

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Lots of nice fish come from the metro area (Kaw Point and Riverfront Park ramps), but there's good fishing either way. I stay mostly downriver from the city since those ramps are closer for me, but my biggest fish have come from down town.

Not sure what you're used to for deep, but on this stretch of the MO 30's is probably average for holes and 40 is pretty deep at normal river levels. Somebody can probably let you know better than me, though, about the downtown area.

9. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    BKS72,

Thanks for all your help! I don't know anything about the Missouri so any and all info is very helpful. This is a great site and everyone seems to help out each other wich is way cool! So the way I'm looking at is the main channel is 10 feet or so with holes 30 to 40 feet deep? In normal conditions? A lot of wing damns and wood? If so sounds like a lot of fun to me! Can't wait.

Thanks again,
    Tom

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    No worries, lots of guys on here that know the river way better than me so you'll get some good info in time for your trip. Lots of wingdams, brush in places. Channel is probaby closer to 15 -20 on outside bends depending on where you are.

The structure changes every so often, some areas have more "cut" dykes where the COE has blown the middle out, some have more trail dykes, etc:smile2: