Info please

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mo.Hick, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have just move from just east of KC Mo to Madison Mo. I am about 60 miles from Hanable. Just wondering of any boat ramps on the Mississippi in that area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Never have fished the Mississippi. But always have wanted to. Fished the Mo river all my life. Please dont hold being good friends with Brandon (BKS72) against me:smile2:.
    Thanks Tom

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Tom im sure someone will be along with that info for ya...

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the "good" side of the state Tom!:smile2:

I don't get that far up to fish except when I am going to Mark Twain (which it sounds like you are pretty close to). There are some fellas on here who fish up your way though and I'm sure you'll have your answer soon.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    MichaelJake knows those waters pretty good up that way. There's a lock and dam below Hannibal if I'm not mistaken and it has a pretty diverse fishery not to mention Mark Twain Lake. Mike knows that lake well also.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey Tom, Madison isn't between Paris and Moberly is it? That sounds familiar....

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's the only Madison I know of. My God, he's moved to heaven. Right dab square in the middle of prime deer, turkey country within short drive to Mark Twain Lake for crappie and Catfish or to the Mississippi River for real catfish.
    Beautiful country up there.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Gary Madison is half way in between Moberly and Paris on 24. And yes this is heaven. I have 126 acres there. Lost my job in KC and the wife and I decided it was time to make the move. Thanks for all the info.
    Tom

8. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    There is a ramp right below the lock at saverton
    its about 6 river miles south of hannible

later
    slider

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    you can say that again. If I could find a way to make it work financially I'd be right there with you...but alas I work in the city.

What do you guys think about a welcoming party at MTL? I don't think Gary got to fish last time he headed up there:wink: If there is interest I'd be happy to set it up making reservations at one of the local resorts (south fork?). I'm thinking late-September.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yep! Drive through there all the time. (Can't go to Mark Twain without going to Wally World or a random visit to the strip clubs in Columbia) LOL! I hunt up that way too. Beautiful country up there. I'm totally jealous!:wink:

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now I REALLY think we need to plan a MTL fishing trip.:big_smile:...to welcome Tom to the area of course.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Tom i'm fixin to say something really stupid. Hope ya enjoy it away from the city lights. Stupid as stupid gets, i know ya gonna like it, who wouldn't. Brandon just called and ask how far i was from Hanibal,,,sounds like a road trip in the making.:wink: I have been known to travel long distances to catch short fish.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Good luck and wish ya'll the best.

13. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the East side Tom.....:smile2::smile2::smile2:lol......Some of the best Flathead fishin in Missouri is in your backyard (MTL) ..... got several buddies who fish up there and a 50 lb fish is not uncommon..not to mention the crappie fishin.

14. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Tom
    I don't know how far south of Hannibal you would travel to access the river but I'll give the ones that I'm aware of.
    Ted Shanks CA MDC
    Ramp on the Salt River which is a short distance were it merges with the Mississippi.
    Louisiana access MDC
    Calumet creek access (Clarksville) MDC
    Hamburg Ferry access MDC
    Norton Woods access BK Leach CA MDC
    Parkers Landing ( Foley) Corps of Engineers.
    Michaeljake might be aware of some that I missed.
    Hope that helps some.

15. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the welcome everybody. I do appreciate it. Dan just let me know when and where at MTL and I am there! John I talked to Brandon the other night and I am going to let him know when I find a ramp. I think he will come this way as soon as I let him know. I look forward to fishing with ya. Been awhile since we have seen each other. Thanks everyone for the info on the ramps. That is what is great about this site. Everyone helps everyone else out in anyone they can. Now I cant wait to get my boat here and start fishing again. Sould get it next weekend. I am having withdraws from not fishing. Thanks again everyone and I do look forward to meeting you all and swaping fish storys.

Tom

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :sad2::sad2: I for 1 will miss tom him and judy are great people !!!!!!!!

I had the pleasure to fish with them a couple times before they moved and they are a sweet couple to say the least !!!

wont find a couple as die hard catfisherman as them !!!!

tom knows his stuff and has caught many monster blues in the missouri .

but some way some how I will fish with them again in the near future :big_smile::wink:

enjoy your new fishing waters and adventures tom and judy and i hope the move is pleasent for you !!!!!

catch me a big miss cat guys :wink: !!!

god bless yas

17. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the kind words Scotty. I will be back down to Warsaw before you know it. The wife and I took a road trip today to Saverton to look for the ramp. Found it at lock and damn #22. It looked good. Really wish I had my boat. The question that I have is there was a sign that said the ramp was closed from 10pm to 6am. Can you unload and fish all night without getting a ticket on your truck? Also when fishing the Mississippi do you have to have both mo and Ill fishing lisc. Or is my Mo lisc.good enough as long as I dont tie off to the bank on the Ill side? Is shad hard to find on the Miss. or what do you folks like to use for bait?
    Thanks Tom

18. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just a MO license is necessary on the Mississippi so long as you don't venture up on of the tributaries on the IL side. You are even OK if you tie off to the IL side. However, most folks that fish the river around here end up picking up an out of state IL license as well. They are pretty cheap and that way if you find yourself up a creek on the IL side netting bait you are covered.

As far as bait goes: most of the time it is fairly east yo come by. The usuals include shad, skippies, mooneye, perch and asian carp. Most recently it seems that asians have been the bait of choice. They are pleantyful and the fish seem to have a taste for them. I like to try a variety of baits though because you never know what they will be looking for.

I can't speak specifficaly for Saverton ramp but in many of the other ramps on the river you will see the same sign and folks have no problem fishing the night through.

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks Dan. All info is appreciated. I also like to have different baits to throw at them. But also in the Mo they seam to have a taste for the asians. I hope shad is easier to find on the Mississippi than in the Mo this year.
    Tom

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    It's been my experience that bait is a bit easier to find on the Mississippi than on the Missouri....when the water temp hits the upper 70's into the 80's, the asians are a great bait! This time of year you can't go wrong with the mooneye either.

From my own personal observation / experiences, shad will work on occasion, skip jack....extremely iffy (never caught a fish this time of year on skipjack, even freshly caught) they seem to work better when the water temp is colder. Again, that is my own personal opinion...:wink: