info on some abu reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mwhham, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    does anybody know anything about a abu 500 usa reel or a 5-star abu reel thanks for any info

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We used to sell the USA reels @ work, about 12-14 years ago. I cant remember anyone having prob's w/ them. If I recall they were not as smooth as the more expensive ones, but smoothness isnt really needed for catting, at least in my opinon.

3. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks bought them reels for dirt cheap today they seem to work ok i have never heard of them

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have acouple left that my dad got from sears yrs ago. they seem to be similar in strength. and not a bad reel. i would have bought them also if the price was right. i use mine now for crappie fishing since i use the wide spool for cats and stripers. the largest fish i ever caught was on a 500 with a 6 ft abu bass rod. it was a 64 lb flattie and had no problem getting him in.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same exact thing as an ambassador 5000, just different paint and markings.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Let us know how they do for you.PM me and we'll hook up and go fishing soon.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have a 30+ year old 5000 that works great. It was a 'hand-me down' from my uncle. He used it every weekend for years...mostly for stripers and occasionally bass.

I use it for catfishin and have caught several fish...nothin over 10 lbs, and it seems to work about as hard as it does when i'm reelin in a 5 oz weight with a large piece of cut-bait, in other words...it feels like a low-geared winch...i love the thing and look forward to the day when i can 'test it out' on a much larger fish.

edit: the gear that drive the bail back and forth is prone to breakin without regular lubrication

cyas
    rc