info on putting in all new floors

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bigwig531, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i just picked up my first boat, it is a huge project in all honesty.

i went on craigs list and started my search and found an artical for a boat that was priced at 50 bucks. figureing it was a waste of time i wasnt even going to call the number but i ended up calling and going to look at the boat.

it is a 1972 runabout, sea king he picked it up from an older lady whos husband had passed away, he sold the seats, windows, both engines, everything that was unboltable is gone already so im down to basically a floor and hull.

when the guys took the seats they just riped them out of the floor and it got filled with rain water so now i have to redo the entire floor. plus find a mess of parts.

what process do i need to follow to redo the floors? it is all fiberglass and i wouldnt mind switching over to all wood. that being said what is the best way to tackel this project?

i plan to but both motors new and may have possibly found a parts boat with everything eles i need, if not its not that big of a deal. however considering it is a runabout how would you guys go about the project of the floor, would you put in some storage area? what kind of pole holders? i've never messed with any boats but have came from a long line of fiberglassers and auto mach. so im hopeing to get into the project in the next couple weeks.
    will post a few pictures as soon as i get the chance.

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Wish I was in Kentucky Kev, I'd help ya out there bro. I just re-did the floor in my old 1976 Cajun, Mach III. I had to run 2X2's across the width of th boat, every 16 inches I put a support 2X2 to keep it from bouncing, ran a bead of liquid nail along the "lip" where the previous floor was attatched to th fiberglass to prevent leakage and instead of putting my floor under the existing fiberglass, I went on top. I used 3/4" ply with 4 coats of fiberglass resin. I wish I had my other puter, I had all my pics there. re-doing a floor really isnt as hard as it seems. hope this helps bro

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kevin,
    If it's on a trailer, sell the trailer to get your money out of it and and walk away.
    Sorry to sound so negative but that is my honest opinion.
    I have done what you are thinking of doing and no matter how nice a job you do, no matter how much nice gear you put in it or how much you spend you will only ever have a boat with the value of a 1972 runabout which is basically nothing...W

4. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thumper sounds like you have been through exactly what i am going through right now, it looks like its going to be a rough job but after i got in the boat and looked it over better once i got home i discovered that i could do this job by myself for the most part and it w ouldnt take all that much time or money.

metel i only paid 25 bucks for the boat so im not goig to be out all that much money, and one reason i purchased one in this shape is because when it hits the water i will know every inch of it inside and out. if i do a nice enough job on it i wouldnt want to sale it. what it is worth isnt really important to me i like the other all design of the hull, but i figure i'll redo the biggest part of the boat and just keep it for myself. i know i will get more profit useing it then trying to sale it.

i've already been offered more then i paid for it but figuring i will keep it and atleast try to fix it back up for personal use, the cost of fixing this one the way i would like it is still alot less then buying a used jon boat in my area so im tickled to death with it.

thumper, what type resin did you use on your new floor? i've never messed much with fiberglass to tell the truth but my brothers have used it many times. i was going to cut the exsisting floor out and redesign the whole floorplan with a few compartments and such and just use the marine plywood then top it off with indoor-outdoor catpet and see how that worked out before i went the full extent of fiberglass. but really it wouldnt look right i dont guess lol.
    thanks for the reply's guys keep em coming.

Kevin.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps for the wise words, Winston!

Bill in SC

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Kevin,
    I really do admire your enthusiasm!!! The quote above from your post is almost word for word what I said at the beginning of my project:wink:

If you are going to go ahead with it you must do some preliminary exploration work. The transom is the big one. No point at all putting in a new floor if the transom is soft or rotted inside.

You are right about the rest of it just being a big shell and you should figure on stripping it back to that bare shell and putting in new stringers and floor. The floor has to be tied into the hull and transom in such a way that the engine and water impact forces are fed into the whole assembly so they are absorbed properly. There are other threads about this stuff.
    EPOXY RESIN is going to become your new friend. Do not use polyester resin

Absolutely stay away from carpet. Fish slime, blood, guts and water don't mix with it. Make it so you can hose and scrub it out after fishing and the water can just drain out of the plug hole in the bilge.

I stand by my first post but I guess a guy has to do what he has to do.
    Good luck...W

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would highly recommend you reserch replacing soles and the materials before you venture into this. I don't know what size boat you got but it's not hard to put a grand in something to stand on in a boat by the time you get it completed. That is speaking in terms of using the proper materials and not cutting corners by using products like polyester resins which do NOT bond with wood mechanically or chemically. polyester and vinylester are for glass to glass laminations.. It's not a sealer or a product you would laminate glass to wood with. It aint nowhere even close to being waterproof.

Put that marine plywood down and boat carpet on it and you'll be in the same boat you are now. Pun intended.

8. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey guys, i talked to a fellow locally who gave me a price quote to do the job, materials and labor is going to run about the same as me going and buying somthing ready to use. i would have never ventured to ask prices if not for you guys. so i must say thank you.

i have a friend who makes fiberglass bed covers for pick up trucks, he uses thin plywood to start it all off, he said if i lay my floor the way i want it he will glass it for me for the cost of materials so as long as i help through the process, i still need to cut the old floor out and see how the frame work looks in better detail. dont want to get right into it untill i get my ducks in a roll. so to speak

thanks again.
    kevin.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    kEVIN YOU JUST GOT GREAT ADVICE FROM WINSTON AND MARK J ...BUT IF YOUR FRIEND WHO MAKE'S COVER'S FOR TRUCK'S AND HAS NO IDEA ABOUT BOAT'S IS GOING TO HELP YOU OUT ... GET A NEW FRIEND AND SAVE THE MONEY YOUR ABOUT TO WASTE!!!!! THERE IS NO WOOD IN TRUCK COVER'S THAT I EVER OWENED?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's your boat.
    I don't hire a plumber to work on my car.

If you want to get your ducks in a row start visiting boat building sites and try this one

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

Don't waste your money by having to do it twice.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Kevin, what is the plan here?
    Are you looking for a restore? Or just getting a $50 boat on the water for a couple of years?

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    New motors and no plans to sell it.
    I'd say he was in it for the long haul.

13. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i just rebuilt an 88 bayliner , had every piece of wood in it was rotten . i ended up spending probably close to $3 grand in it at least it came with a motor, and if i had a chance to do it again the boat would get scrapped the trailer sold and i'd buy an aluminum boat and stick the motor on it . it is an awful job to do . but if you do decide to do it check out the iboats restoration forum and ask lots of questions before you even start on it

14. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    take the money that your going to use on two new motors and go buy yourself a nice boat thats complete just my opinion

15. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just a little update.

have not really torn into the boat that much yet, plan to start cutting out the old floors later today. took out the middle section just to get a real close look at it, doesnt look like it would be very hard to replace the floor as far as wood goes. but i have been wrong in the past on more then one occasion lol.

i really do intend to get a few pics on here of the project as i go through the process that way if i do happen to pull this off it may help someone later in life and if i dont it may be fair warning as to why these projects should be more for the professionals then us who have never been around many boats.

16. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks again for all the help guys.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've thought about documenting a sole replacement for the BOC.

The pictures would eat up my alotted space and really, I doubt many folks would follow along once they priced they materials.
    They seem to wind up in Lowes buying that goes on a garage floor or a kitchen cabinet.

18. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    so you dont recommend useing anything other then marine plywood?
    what i will be useing is the 1/2 inch treated that they have at lowes with under coating on one side and fiberglass on the other.
    is that a bad idea? and why?

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mark likes "whole hog". Nuttin wrong with that, I have yet to find any reason to doubt his(boat building) advise.

But not everyone has his budget or the desire to spend that much on something they only need to last for a few years.

Full resto for fun and profit?

How long are you looking for it to last?

Leaving it out in the weather?

Tight, or unlimited budget?

I reckon what you plan will get ya by for quite a while but that will depend on how you will use it and what your long term intentions for the boat are.

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Every body has there way of doing thing's!!! There's your way- my way and then the right way .....Live and learn .