Info on limblining

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by rushryder, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Me and a buddy of mine are going to run some limblines. We are going to use brim and shad for bait. I have learned some good things on here, but I wanted more advise. How deep do most of you guys put your lines, and also what is the best way to hook a brim. There is no current in the lake we are going to set the lines in. Any extra info would help. Just thought I'd ask the people who would know. Thanks.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    good question i dont set lines in lakes but maybe its like a river look for structure next to the bank and in rocks or near shallow places full of bait fish

3. dobbie

dobbie Member

Matt I would try different depths.I'm not sure about Arkansas,but 2 guys in Oklahoma can have 40 limblines.Put some 2" under the water,and some a foot off the bottom.Try some with sinkers,and some with out.I would look for trees and log jams also.With no current I would use brim hooked behind dorsal fin.Hope this helps some. Dobbie

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I haven't set lines either in a lake but I have seen where people have put them when I have been bass fishing. As a rule ON river fishing I always put my bait about 1 foot off the bottom, this may also work in lakes.

Find the channel in the lake,,,Set some lines on the top of channel where it starts coming shallow. Also set some lines in about 4-5 feet of water close to the bank. After the 1st night adjust other lines like the ones that produced the night before.

I always hook bait right behind the dorsal fin, make sure there are no scales left on tip of hook after going through bait. If I have a really big bait I trim the tail so he can't swim as fast.

Give us a report on how you did on the lake, I will interested in know how & where you put your lines!! Good Luck.

5. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm pretty apt to put hook no more than 1 inch under the water and hook behind dorsal, so the baitfish can splash away and attract em'. But I fish rivers and creeks....I'll have to agree with finding structures and logjams to set up near though!

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    matt,it depends on how deep the water is where you set them.i usually dont set them anywhere deeper than 5 feet of water around structure.i like the bait to be no more than a foot down and like DICK151 said,the splashing of the bait will attract them in.dont give so much slack that if you do get a fish on it can pull your line into a snag or wrap around a log.the less line you give them the better chances they will still be on there when you go to check them.:0a26:

7. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    In Illinois we can't fish limb lines [not to say that it hasn't been done] but as for bank poles [same concept, you just bring your own limb] we have very good luck putting the bait about 2-6 inches deep. Live bait splash and make noise and the big cats seem to cruise the banks at night feeding. We have run the lines at night and have seen BIG cats up by the bait with our lights. :wink:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    actually i believe thats not fully correct. the illinois law states any device attached to a tree just cannot be attached BELOW the waterline.

ILLEGAL DEVICES
    Use of the following devices in the taking of
    aquatic life is prohibited: electricity or electrical
    devices; lime; acid; medical, chemical or
    mechanical compounds; dope; drugs; fishberry;
    dynamite; nitroglycerine or other explosive;
    snare; treated grain; firearms; air gun;
    gas gun; wire basket; wire seine; wire net;
    wire trotline or limb lines of any kind.

i stand corrected. trotlines and jugs ect cannot be attached to tree below water line.

9. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Rush,,,,,,How about a update?? I very curious to se how you did on a lake with limb lines.

10. TrapperMike

TrapperMike New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My last outing last fall went to Lake James in NC ,before i went I got on googel satalite and looked at the lake and zoomed in ,it had been years since i had been there could not remember how much structure i could work with ,they had trees laying down everwear. so headed on down for an over night trip ,did not have as much luck as i have had on rivers and lake Rroadhiss wich is more like a river in my opinion . Only caugh 6 cats out of 50 limblines or so but ,I think i had some one checking a few of my lines before I could check em . Still planning on going back this year.In NorthCarolina we are not allowed to use live bait ,limblining ,troutlins or jugging ,I make my lines 3, 6 ,to 9 feet long and set to a foot off the bottom ,some times they will have enought length to get tangled ,but for most part I will move some debrie out of the way if i think they will get tangled in it . The day I was on lake James water was VERY clear and could see some places 20 to 30 foot down. Below is a couple of pics of the 2 bigest cats I caught on that trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "In NorthCarolina we are not allowed to use live bait ,limblining ,troutlins or jugging ,......."

Mike, what kind of bait do you use?

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    gus your the man!!!:smile2:

13. TrapperMike

TrapperMike New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey larry
    mostly use cut bait or small whole fish as long as it aint alive ,we can use it, make my own baits plus had luck with ,using mice ,moles, dead baby quail chicks ,(I raise quail) also have used half devolped quail eggs they have produced for me as well ,good and ripe after 24 days in the incubbator at 99 1/2 degrees ..I use crawfish just make sure they are dead first .As a trapper I like making stink baits of my own ,use a lot of fish oils in mine ,buy that stuff by the gallons .. also had good luck with mussels And the old stand by chicken livers

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No live bait allowed, what a bummer. I guess that more or less restricts your catch to channels and turtles.

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    My brother and I caught a lot of good fish on limb lines a couple years ago..we tend to have the perch only a couple inches under the water and hooked behind the dorcal fin..we also scale one side of the fish with a knife to get his fluids flowing. We tried scaling every other one and we did get a lot more fish with the scaled perch than the ones we did not scale. We had one limb line that was gone...broke the branch off. My brother seemed to think some one stole a fish on use and made it look like a monster did it..I like to think we missed a big one. One other point..when you are checking your lines try to use reflective tape above your limb line so you don't spook anything near the bait when you are just checking the lines..if you don't plan on pulling the bait up I don't like putting light on the bait. We had one swirl the water when my brother hit the water with the spot light..now we dont do that anymore.