info on jet boats

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bigfish08, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im looking into buying a jet boat to turn into the ultimate catfishing machine so i will will be able to run shallow rivers and be able to hit multiple spots a night.. does anyone know what they run price wise and where i should look to find one? i love fishing smaller rivers for cats and want to be able to get a boat through shallow riffles. how much water can they make it through? sorry lots of questions but ive had it on the mind all day!:big_smile:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Larry!! I would check out the SeaArk line of boats. They have the Jet Tunnel style of boats. They can run in water of a few inches. The only setback is you will loose some performance, speed and steering stabilty.

But for rivers? I would greatly consider looking at these models!

Hope this helps!!
    http://www.seaark.com/

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can't beat a jet... one suggestion I'd give though is to find a lite one. Those big heavy tank jet boats are a b!tch if you beach it in the middle of the night.... or anytime for that matter.

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IF you can weld aluminum or know someone who can you can build a nice jet boat for under $2000. There are many styles of jet drives too. Sportjets ,berkeleys ,outboard jetdrives to name a few. My favorite is the berkeley because if you suck up anything in the pump it has a handhole to clean it out. The down side is you need a big motor to turn it. I also have jet drive listed on here for sale http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113046

If you want to know anything else just ask.

I almost forgot you could also put a jet ski motor in a 1860 jon boat.
    Those Seaarks are very nice but also very expensive.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I get mine uncovered I will post some pictures.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I recently saw one,(Jetboat) in action, running the CO river at night, He has GPS, and other electronics,, Came hauling down the river in the dark, looked like WOT, headlights blazin', very impressive.. I know he is VERY experienced, and, wouldn't recommend that to anyone, but, it was still really impressive.
    The Colorado is a treacherous thing at night, with the sandbars moving around, and the water level up and down so much..!!

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I fished the Susquehanna River here in PA for the first time for flatheads on a boat. That river is very shallow and rocky (sort of like the Maumee). You definitely will not destroy your rig but having a jet prop!

8. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I run a jet foot on a 25hp Mercury 4 stroke. It's on at 1640 jon with a tunnel hull. I really shopped around before making a purchase. I wanted one boat to cover three basic situations: trout fishing on Arkansas' Little Red & White rivers, duck hunting, and fishing the stumpy shallow lakes of central AR. There are some great fiberglass jons that will accommodate a jet. Supreme River Jons are the top of the line in this regard and most trout guides utilize them.

I really didn't want to manuver a 20' fiberglass boat through flooded timber looking for ducks so I shied away from this type boat. There are just a couple of manufactures that produce good aluminum tunnel hulls, but I found it difficult to get exactly what I wanted through them.

I found a company in Benton, AR called Weldbuilt. They make aluminum boats and go the extra mile to make sure everything is done right. They were willing to let me pick from there standard line of jet tunnel hulls and then customize it to my specifications. I have been well pleased and would recommend them.

Keep in mind that just because it's a tunnel hull does not mean that it is designed to run a jet. Jet tunnel hulls vary from prop tunnel hulls in how they are designed to funnel water to, and more importantly, air away from the jet intake. The jet will run shallower, but you will lose some power and fuel efficiency. The jet will also be louder than a prop driven motor. Steering a jet takes some getting used too, but it's no big deal. Just remember that you cannot guide the boat if the motor is not running becasue there is no rudder effect from the lower unit and prop. The jet must be blowing water in order to steer. If you run your jet in dirty water - water with leaves, sticks, etc. - you will probably have to clear debris from the intake at some point. No hard thing; just part of running a jet.

I have run my boat up shoals where other aluminum boats could not go. I have also had to stop in areas where the long trout boats can keep going. I have kind of hit in the middle of the shallow water target. BTW: the area I had to stop got shallower than 6". I was fine up until then.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Greg, you outta go out with Luckey Wade. He'll run his boat in an inch of water at O dark thirty with no lights, at 24 to 30 miles per hour. No GPS, just a general FEEL for the river lol. Scares the crap outta me when we head straight for the bank on a sharp bend, turning just inches before we slam into it, and rocket off downstream.

If you ain't scared you aint fishing lol. I think that's Randy's motto.

10. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear ya Skip!!! lol Oh what a feeling!:cool2: