Info On Anchored Jug Set

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by SHOWME, Feb 21, 2009.

1. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    We have alot of big blues here in Missouri and on Truman Lake, I've never made a anchored jug set and it seems to me that that's what I need to do to get out on some of these points to get into the bigger fish and I have no idea how to do it right the first time, I really need your help on this one

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In the lake I made my own weights out of yogurt cups filled with concrete. Drop it to bottom leave about 1 ft slack, sit back and watch. I never have used jugs on a river

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    The set I want to do is a multi-hook set with two or three jugs. A large jug on each end with one in the middle, I've seen alot of these on Truman and its always set on a main lake point set out on the end of the point where there isn't anything to tie up to like a regular set, the end ones have the weights with lines with hooks inbetween I guess, just don't know, that's why I'm asking, I know someone knows how to make this set

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have not seen the set you are talking about. sounds like it would work in any lake. someone will know how to make it. thats whats good about this site you learn a lot of new methods

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    BOC member J Trew has made some past post on the set up your talking about. Maybe you can give him a Pm or wait for him to find this post.

6. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    What I use are jugs by bert ,every 2 feet of line I tie a knot put 2 beads on then another knot from the a anchor to the jug then I use trot line easy clips between the beads,so I can set a hook any place I want from top to bottom. Use at least 2 or 3 pounds weight jug .hope this helps

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ty, in that setup you just descibed, do you use live bait, as in live wiggly gills or minnows; if so, don't the baitfish tangle up around the vertical line, or does it even make a difference?

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never seen or heard of such a setup. From the sounds of it, it seems to me an invitation to a disaster. But I'm always willing to be shown the error of my ways. Now, there are several ways to rig a trotline where there are several jugs floating on the surface above the line. Generally, those jugs are there to keep the trotline from sinking too deep. By attaching jugs along the mainline with a particular length of line (say, 15' for example), the mainline will be set at that depth (in this case, 15') below the surface. Small weights are generally added along the line to keep the line down, but it's important that the weights are not heavy enough to cause the jugs to sink. On the other hand, if you're wanting to set the line a specific distance above the bottom, you can attach small jugs with a short length of line, then add fairly heavy weights with a particular length of line (say, 8' for example). The weights must be heavy enough to cause the jugs to sink. In this example, the mainline will be set at the specified distance (8') off the bottom. A third way to use jugs along the length of the trotline is to set the line in a 'W', or vertical zig-zag. In this setup, jugs are set along the mainline to hold it high at that point; there is lots of slack in the mainline between the jugs, and a weight is placed halfway between each set of jugs to hold the mainline low at that point. In this way, the mainline forms a 'W' shape if looked at sideways. By using heavy weights and small jugs, the line can be set with the bottom of the 'W' on the bottom; or, if the weights are attached with specific lengths of line, a specific distance off the bottom. Or, with larger jugs and smaller weights, the top of the 'W' can be set a specific distance below the surface. Obviously, some of these setups will result in a row of jugs floating on the surface of the water. But they're trotline jugs, not jugfishing jugs.

9. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I use 3 to 4 inch live blue gills and never had a problem, they just swim around the main line in a circle. I use 8 inch dropper from trot line easy clip to the hook,with the beads set at 2 foot apart the blue gill don't tangle with each other.(main line is made of 80 pound mono)

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    These sets are with big jugs, 3 to be exact, 5 gallons at least, anchored in deep water, I was just curious how it is set, 2 anchors, 3 anchors, how deep are the drops etc., these guys are setting in channels or the end of the points where there is nothing else to tie to and there is about 10 yards between the jugs:tounge_out:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It seems to me that if they've got those big jugs 10 yards (30') apart, either that channel better be pretty shallow, or they better be using some really heavy weights. Otherwise, those lines hanging down are going to get tangled up. It just sounds funky, clunky, and cumbersome to me. Seems like it would be much better to simply put a trotline down where you want your hooks, or simply use solitary anchored juglines where you want them.

13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Jerry, these things are like permanent, they are always in the same general area, they do move them, you must have a heavy anchor here in Missouri if you leave jugs in the water so they cannot be drug off and not attended at all times.

14. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Thanks for the warning Tom, I've actually been there twice before and although the hook wasn't as deep as yours and I also had a son there to pull on the looped line, it worked like a champ each time, I can't imagine doing what you had to do though, I think I'd sit there and have a COUPLE of smokes before I started:smile2:
    On the business of those big jugs, these guys are after the big blues that run in those areas and yes you must have a heavy anchor for jugs that are not being watched at all times here in Missouri, I just was hoping I'd catch the guys that were doing htat to save me some trouble with trial and error or I'll just forget it cuz I'm not going to go check out their lines, sounds like a good way to get shot:eek:oooh:

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I only use jugs when I'm needing freezer stock, so I am targeting only 5 lb and smaller. The jugs I use, Top Brass Juggers, from Cabela's, are great for this. When needing to anchor them, I use a couple of 16 oz bank sinkers like I got at the Gateway Cats Leadfest last Saturday.
    I have caught catfish in the upper 20's on them with no problem.

Attached Files:

16. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Thanks Kutter, I know how to do the single anchored sets, I just thought that the ones I've talking about would do what you do in one set, like a floating trot line sort of. Oh well, just wondered how those guys were doing it:embarassed:

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I may be totally wrong, but it's sounding more and more like these guys have some really big trotline anchors out, marked with big jugs, and they're running their lines between them. I've done something similar on sandy or muddy flats where there's nothing to tie to. But in those cases, even though there was a pretty good current, I was able to use wheel rims, because they dug down in the sand or mud real well and stayed put. When I pullied my line, I was always able to work the rims loose and retrieve them.

18. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Jerry, that is exactly what they are doing, I just donot know how to set up the lines with drops and weight and slack:eek:oooh:

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  20. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Thanks Jerry, that 3 jug set is what they are doing, I can figure out the rest, depends where I make the set, its one of those things that will stay for the week that I'm there and then pulled till next time if it works like I think it will, thanks for all the help.