Info needed

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Kutter, May 19, 2009.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Awhile back, my motor to the garden tiller died a very smokey & hot death.
    Not sure if that will be the same way my back will die, but it's about to pass on as we speak. A 35 X 76 garden is too big to hoe and my days of hoeing any garden were long thought past. It took both my wife and myself two days to get it done, what with the many breaks we had to take.
    Okay, enough of the whining.
    Does anybody either have or know where I can find a 5+ hp Briggs & Stratton with a 3/4" horizontal threaded shaft? A new rear tine tiller is out of the question at this time. The front tine is almost as bad on my back as hoeing, so that won't work. As a matter of fact, it doesn't look like a new motor is likely either.
    Appreciate any info you folks might have that would lead me in the right direction.

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Try craigs list under" farm and garden" sometimes they sell those used motors there.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    might check around with local small engine repair guys and just put out a notice of what you are looking for.

4. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Hey Kutter, my dad has 1995 Troy-Bilt "Horse" 8hp Brigg & Stratton, 4 speed w/ 2 reverse, 21" tine extra hvy steel. Only has maybe 25hrs on it. It was built before Troy-Bilt was bought out. He's wanting $1000 or OBO. Just let me know if your interested.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Did that, found nothing but "it used to run real good, before it locked up".
    "5 hp side shaft, needs rebuilt, $150."
    "Will give motor away to first caller, even though thats more than it's worth".
    "5 yr old tiller, gave $900 new, will sell for $700".
    "5hp motor for parts, $100".
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I checked with several and all told me the go-carter's take all their used side shafts immediately after they become available. They want at least $250 for a new one, if I install & no warranty.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thank you, but I do not have 1/4 of that or I would buy the new motor for my old one.

8. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    No problem, I don't think its going anywhere soon.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Kutter I have an old Sears it is a front tine runs fine, you can run it to death if ya want a smaller tiller for the season, not putting out anything this year, so it is gonna be setting...... It is nothing fancy but like I said it is good and runs fine, your welcome to it

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Does it have to be a 3/4" threaded shaft? Asking, because I know the fella up th eroad has tons of small engines and mowers and tillers and CRAP all over his yard, I sure can stop by and check for ya? Just let me know...... and like I said in above post your welcome to it........

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    There isn't much to them Kutter, overhaul the thing. I bet you could get the parts for less than $100 and have it tore down, rebuilt, and back together in a day.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I was thinking that also Branden, but that description of the smokey hot death was interesting, LOL.... still take it .30 over and toss on a 38mm Makunie Carb and you would be flinging dirt all over town ;)

13. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Heck you could go to the rental center and rent one for a day and be done and not even have to store it anywhere and take up room.And if something goes wrong with it they take care of all the repaires.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thank you very much, I'll call ya in a few minutes.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well, that is what is on there now. I suppose I could find another pulley to put on it.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Brandon, perhaps you have me confused with someone who is at least slightly mechanically inclined. I make a living as a mechanic, however, I mainly work with electronics & electrical components such as 240 3 phase motors. Gasoline motors & gearboxes are not in the slightest my forte.
    Some folks work on their own vehicles because they want it done right. I take mine in to have them worked on for the same reason.
    Thanks for your high regard, though.

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Huh?

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yep, your right! However, I will be using it through the rest of the year, about 8 times at 3 hours each time. At $65 an hour, (I checked), it would run $1560. That would buy 2 nice walk behind tillers.
    Yes, I till a lot, but.....

Attached Files:

19. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Kutter, If I lived closer to ya, I'd just bring mine over to ya. Wouldn't till it for ya but let ya barrow it. After ya got done then we could crack open a cold one and talk 3 phase mis-happs. best light shows around..LOL I miss that work...
    Check on ebay for something close to ya.

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Tom.. go pick up Randy's tiller and take your old motor over to him .. He can tell you in a day or 2 if its repairable.. If so word on the street is he is reaaaalllllll cheap and easy.. Plus he's starting to get bored with nothing to do but surf the internet.. If I was home I would rebuild it for you, they are a piece of cake to do..