Info Needed in North Carolina, Please

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Kittyhunter, May 27, 2006.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I know this is not a catfish question, but I didn't know where else to put it and get results from my fellow North Carolinians. I am fishing a tournament at Buckhorn Reservoir in Wilson on Monday. It is open to bass, bream, crappie, etc. whatever you can catch. I am mostly concerned with catching bass. I have not been there since the level was raised and have no idea where the good spots for bass are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to prefish it tomorrow and look around with the depth/fish finder. Any tips on lure selection would be great also. Thanks guys, Mack.

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I don't live here or fish there but I would use power worms right of the bat to rigged texas or drop shot but thats my opion or a spinner bait

3. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Well, We tried every artificial bait known to man, one bass in the boat just shy of the 16 inch limit, had one monster take my best spinnerbait in about 12 feet of water near a rocky drop-off. When I set the hook, he never looked back. We tried bream fishing and caught several nice ones. The biggest fish out of 13 people was only a 2.5 lb bass, with only one more keeper about 2.25 lbs. Winning the most fish category was two guys with 30 bream. Size limit was 6 inches minimum. We probably could have bream fished the whole morning and won the most fish pot, but I wanted some bass in the boat. I did find some sweet looking catfishing spots. There some old roadbeds that cross the lake from before they raised it, found several flats with major drops (3.0 dropping to 12-14 or so. Found several of these places. There is also some shallow flats in the middle of the lake marked by warning bouys. Some of these were 2-3 feet dropping off to 8-18 feet. We should have catfished today. Anyhoo, that's how it came out.

4. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina

i thought you reformed, why you fishin' for bass? you fell off the wagon. Jesus is watchin' you:wink:

5. nccatfish1

nccatfish1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey there this is wayne i am new to the BOC and i am in clayton NC and i have been here for 3 years and i have been looking for catfish holes and have yet to find a decent one so any help will be appreciated thanks

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Wayne, theres a lot good holes near you on the Neuse and on cape fear.
    Keep checking this post. SOme of the boys will sound off.

7. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    wayne, this time of year the water is real skinny. what kind of fishing you wanna do? boat, bank, campin'?
    little more info and i will hook you up best i can. :big_smile:

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    kitty i cant believe you said the four letter word like that. i just started cryinf when i read post. for you to have a relapse it i sok. i know it is hard to stay on the wagon all the time. we all stumble sometime. but you have freindss. use them lol.

9. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Hey Joe, I heard about your accident. I hope you are OK and hope the insurance settles with you fairly. I don't remember what all you had in that barn, but it was a lot of stuff. You are truly a nice guy. You helped us out down there and I have read countless posts on here of you helping others. I have not fallen off the wagon, I just ride the short bus sometimes. I enjoy all kinds of fishing. I really thought the tournament was a bass only deal when I signed up. It just ain't much of a competition when you can fill the boat with bream and win. I have talked to some folks who told me what to use there this time of year. One guy fishes a lot of bass tournaments and has fished there a lot. He said to use large fat plastic worms, like 11 inches long and fat rigged carolina style. Pony, it was John Radford (Matco Tools). Anyway, I still am a catfisherman through and through, I did turn down an offer to go tonight but I had a birthday party to go to. I couldn't miss it since it was for me. Not sure if I will get to fish this weekend or not.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey guys, this is my son and he needs some help with fishing in NC. I can't help him much from Texas but give the guy a little help out that way please.
    He is new to the BOC and I refered him.
    Take care and happy fishing....:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

11. nccatfish1

nccatfish1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey there guys i'm still looking for some help here in NC. i can only bank fish seeing as i dont have a boat or anything. i caugh me a catfish sunday morning at a place called atkinson mill it was about a pound and a half. i have trouble catching the catfish at the mill. i get snagged all the time and i have trouble setting the jhook on them. i get bites like crazy though. any help will be appreciated thanks guys Wayne

12. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    hey wayne i live in va. but am moving to the fuquay area. Start work the 19th of june. I fished alot here but once i make the move it will be a learning process again. If nothing happens for you,before the 19th maybe we can get together and find a few holes.

13. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    nccat, where do you live? Try using circle hooks for those catfish. Let them pull on it until the rod bends over, they will hook themselves, you don't have to set the hook, just easy back and start reeling once the rod bends over good. I use 6/0 Lazer sea circles from Walmart.

14. nccatfish1

nccatfish1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey its me again. i went fishing last night at a creek about a quarter mile dow nthe road from my house and i caoght a couple bulhead cats and a few brim about 2 or 3 inches long. i used the brim for bait and caught a pike that wieghed about 6 pounds. i'll have pics up soon. it was a real nice fish i thought i had a catfish at first but it was just a pike

15. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Nice catch Wayne, I can't wait to see the pics of your pike. Miss you.